PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 nights and the legalities

Gen Brace
12th Apr 2001, 01:53
Working a 2 Day 2Night shift is not too bad you still get to go out on the night of your middle day I think this is a good shift!

However due to unforseen for circumstances for me I may be forced to work 4 X 4 nightshift.... :mad:

Is this legal?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

has anyone else had this situation??

if so what happened??

------------------
FROM LEYLAND TO THE STARS!:)

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2001, 04:48
Not 4x4 nights but financial circumstances forced me to work permanent nights for two years a long while ago. It is very exhausting. No matter how you try, it is impossible to avoid the "jet-lag" and the constant fatigue is probably very harmful to your health. The effects may not show for years but it cannot do you any good to be permanently knackered like that. I blame my current heart disease on that spell of permanent nights.

My advice is - if you can possibly avoid it DON"T DO IT!

Through difficulties to the cinema

CONES R US
13th Apr 2001, 01:03
I've never had problems working night shifts until the times were changed from 6-6 to 8-8
Then it was always light and noisy when you got to bed.
I did once work for 27 straight days of 12 hour night shifts without really feeling too tired at any point, but that was mainly for financial gain which earned me almost 8K as a contractor in a hangar.
I would say, if you can, do, but if you can't then don't.
Some people will always complain about shifts and some people love them, so I guess you need to find what hours you like to work and then find a job that can accomodate you.

------------------
Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut......TO GO!

Gen Brace
13th Apr 2001, 01:34
O.K. I have done a few years of straight nights not a problem Mon to Thurs no problem.

The thread I was trying to get across is that it is being requested that I now work 4 X 4 nights a different thing entireley. Last time I did nights it was voluntarily this time I may not have a choice! Is this legal?

get a bigger hammer
13th Apr 2001, 02:01
Do not get trapped into this shift roster of 4x4 permanent nights. It is totally debilitating and can have grave physical and phycological consequenses - FACT. I cannot comment on if they can force it upon you. But if they are forcing something its for a reason. You will have to examine your contract. However, with the complete fragmentation of the industry and lack of cohesion between employees even at a local level they will probably succeed. Get your compatriots together ignore the supposed financial reward and ensure you dont get trapped. Remmember make all your representations in duplicate to your management as soon as possible and if you have a union get them involved. Even if its only for legal reasons. They can tend to take their eye off the ball when negotiating. Good luck and I hope you stop the rot.

Dozy Bell
13th Apr 2001, 12:46
Finacial gain!!!! They want Gen to do it for an extra £500/year. So for 6 months thats £250 or about £7/week. I am under the impression that if its not specifically mentioned in your contract they cannot force you to do night shift. Thats why a tightarsed company like FLS have to pay £7200/year toget people to VOLUNTEER for nights, as im sure they wouldn't pay that much if they could force people into working nights.I could be wrong so if anyone knows for definate please post with the facts.

[This message has been edited by Dozy Bell (edited 13 April 2001).]

pizza
15th Apr 2001, 07:06
I work permanent nights. 2 on 1 off 2on 4 off. The moneys and works good, but you feel like crap all the time, fatigued. Be careful getting stuck on a shift when there is no guaranteee of getting off.

IMA Conehead
17th Apr 2001, 04:28
Pizza, 4 on 4 off days and nights is NOT permanent night shift. This is the current shift that Gen is working !

Continuous Ignition
17th Apr 2001, 07:29
I've been working whatever crappy shift the company throws at me because I'm one of the two relief guys... I travel around from one station to the next. Working nights for the past 4 years here at this airline has taken its toll on me...

But what really gets me, is that all the manned stations and main base got a 15% pay increase 1 January and we got squat. They keep saying, "maybe next month you'll get yours" Thats been going on since Febuary

Now the hanger guys and line station guys are making more than us and me personally, I have been on the road over a year straight...

How pissed should I be? Anyone know of any jobs available?

moremj2
17th Apr 2001, 11:18
Some boys here in Australia have been forced onto permanent 4x4 nights 6-6. Havent met one yet who wouldnt give it up.
As for the legality, check your employment contract, its the final say document.
After reading this thread I checked mine to find that this can happen to me with 7 days notice. Its all in the contract!!

Personally, Ive been on rolling shifts for 11 yrs and wouldnt do anything else, permanent night shift would see me out the gate!!

Good Luck!

------------------
If you're going out into the blue, be sure your engines got more mj2

[This message has been edited by moremj2 (edited 17 April 2001).]