PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so courteous??

The Invisible Man
10th Apr 2001, 20:17
Having read most of the threads where flight deck are the main contributors,( rumours and news etc) Why is there so much agression and insulting of fellow aviators. Compared to our own thread ( Engineers ), apart from the odd comment about spelling and grammar, there are no insults. Do flight deck suffer from one upmanship and if your comments are a little wrong, your a plonker or worse. Most, if not all Engineers I know are helpful without being rude if they disagree with comments made. Why I wonder???

redtail
10th Apr 2001, 21:37
Simple, really. We fix problems, others cause them.

jetfueldrinker
10th Apr 2001, 23:09
We are courteous in this forum, because at work we rip the micturate out of each other for most of the long day, so being nice is a refreshing change! But to be serious for a moment (what, me, serious?) for the best part, I find that if you keep a civil tongue in your gob, (that is because I cannot spell mouth, Moon!) that at least goes some way to putting your point across and getting your way. If you rant and become abusive then it can go against you to the point that no one takes any notice of you. Plus, it goes some way to showing the Ppruning public that we oily, greasey thechey types (and avionics too Moon) are of superior breeding to others in the aviation field who only think that they are superior to us.

Just remember that the technology to fly without aircrew already exists, but without a CRS, the aircraft goes nowhere. But that is a different thread an a different forum.

Yours in Pprune juice

JFD

Meatbomber
11th Apr 2001, 00:00
Plus their (flight crews) egos are so big they get into the way ... which makes me wonder .. that should be the same for avios :P

MB
-> Engines .. screw 'em wires .. err ahhmm . damn it's a FADEC

The Invisible Man
11th Apr 2001, 00:11
Just to prove a point, Random look at "rumours and news" tonight. Top thread entitled "Luton issues warning to Easyjet". Nine comments down LTN MAN lays into three of his collegues. Strange bunch!!!

aeroguru
11th Apr 2001, 00:23
Ya bunch of f*@kin greasey morons!Most of you can't even spell engunear.Oh and anyone want to "souix"; my solicitors are Norfolk&Good.

Blacksheep
11th Apr 2001, 08:57
aeroguru

beforr i joyned thu air farce i cuddunt even spelll engunear. now i are wun!

Through difficulties to the cinema

mriya225
11th Apr 2001, 11:30
I jes wish I cud call mysulf an engunear--I got a wayz to go, but bein a mekanik is good enuf fur now I rekin!
I'm nut only a greese munkey--I'm a wuman, so that makez it jus that much harder fur me ta ovurkum bein a morron! :)

------------------
"You screw up, just this much; you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog-sh*t outta Hong Kong"!

Crashed & Burned
11th Apr 2001, 12:10
I r an engynier an i don aff 2 tayk pizz from u lot. Got bloke at work hoo iz prym candydayt. Heez layzee, ignrunt and iz not lykd. Him got shock cumming.....blokes av ad enuff.

Why should we take the P out of each other? We are all in the same boat together, some may not be able to row in the same direction but after all most of us chose to do this for a living!

------------------
It's not what you know, it's how you bluff!

diwai
11th Apr 2001, 22:16
F%&*in pilots got all the visa cards & we still get s*&t on, regardless of the wonders we produce, and still get payed peanuts, a very dissgrutiled gingerbeer!!!!!!!!!

Coriolis
12th Apr 2001, 01:07
Maybe we're just nice peeps?
I was going to suggest that perhaps spelling is more difficult when you're being rude, but now I've read a couple of replies above I need to go away & think again..
Very best of good wishes to all (esp. girlie fixers, who are the best reason to be polite on the hangar floor, just like at home.)
Luv you all to pieces
xxx

------------------
Ground tested, no fault found

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2001, 04:41
Engineers courteous? I never thought of it like that before, but upon reflection I realise that its generally true, at least amongst ourselves. Perhaps its because we are "professionals?"

(exits left, stroking chin thoughtfully...)

mriya225
12th Apr 2001, 06:04
Coriolis,
Lordavmercy baby!!
I almost fell off my chair reading this....
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
(esp. girlie fixers, who are the best reason to be polite on the hangar floor, just like at home.)
</font>
Care to share that with a few of my buddies out here? Treating me politely is not exactly their, um... forte. Not that I'm complaining, mind you; I've learned to take the piss out of them with the same ruthless efficiency! :)

And, truth be known, I think it'd set my teeth on edge if they were always walking (politley) on egg-shells around me anyway.

------------------
"You screw up, just this much; you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog-sh*t outta Hong Kong"!

Ali Crom
12th Apr 2001, 12:47
'Courteous' , and there was I thinking we Engineers had a reputation to uphold .
Ahem , I think it's time I changed my personal profile.

---------------------------------------------
Sophistication , don't talk to me about sophistication eh arve bin to Leeds me

Cat1234
13th Apr 2001, 02:34
I think the mutual respect stems from understanding our jobs.

dogs body
13th Apr 2001, 03:18
So right, It's a pity the ALAE chat page was forced to closed down, I suppose we'll have to share with the flight deck numpties, still they probably haven't the intelligence to scroll down this far , so we might get left in peace!

spanners
13th Apr 2001, 17:36
Sounds like some of you guys could play extras in 'Deliverance'!!!
(Can any of you by any chance play the banjo??) :)

[This message has been edited by spanners (edited 13 April 2001).]

aeroguru
17th Apr 2001, 13:59
Good morning, my esteemed fellow engineers and technicians.
I'm afraid our peers(who we have to greet and converse technically with on aircraft flight decks), over on the rumours and news forum are devalueing themselves and calling each other pimps and whores.
Albeit very highly paid pimps and whores.

Kanga767
18th Apr 2001, 04:07
I feel compelled to add to this topic, take it as you will. Last week, A young Cessna driver couldn't park in our normal spots and had to put his chariot some distance away. As this particular fellow had overnighted, he had some extra personal belongings with him. Being the kind hearted bloke I am, I jumped on the tractor and drove down to collect him. When we got back to the hangar, he jumped off and walked away........No thanks, nothing.
I think that says it all, different respective attitudes.

[This message has been edited by Kanga767 (edited 18 April 2001).]

Bus429
18th Apr 2001, 08:21
See why I consider pilots fair game? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Bus429 (edited 18 April 2001).]

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2001, 08:35
A corporate jet arrives. We have nothing of our own moving for an hour, so I drove over to see if they needed any service before we packed in for a meal. "Hallo Captain, would you like to book any service before we shoot off for dinner?" The skipper is messing about with packages and unfathomable paperwork "P*ss Off you idiot! Can't you see I'm busy!" so off I p*ssed. (I am certainly an idiot, so I know who he's speaking to.) After meal break we find said machine closed up and a huge black plastic rubbish bag left outside. The skipper hadn't signed an ad-hoc charges sheet so we ignored it.

Back on shift next day when the crew arrive, they are disconcerted to find the trash bag still there after festering in the equatorial sun for 24 hours. No sweat, they think, we'll just drag it to the edge of the parking bay and leave it there then. Crew climb in and do their checks. Then, on the radio that we have tuned to the tower frequency, we hear them ask for start clearance. ATC refuse. They ask again and the tower tells them to put their garbage in the bin first. I can imagine the scene in the cockpit at this point. After a few moments of stunned silence the door opens, the F/A gets out, grabs the rubbish bag, carries it 150 meters to the nearest disposal point and puts the garbage in the skip. After she gets back aboard, smelling slightly less sweet than before, the start request is granted and they taxi out and leave. I wonder if the Skipper learned anything from that incident? Probably not. Rudeness is an incurable disease...

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 18 April 2001).]

dogs body
19th Apr 2001, 04:28
In the dim & distant years of my youth I can remember a wise & wizened old Warrant Officer, who took me to one side & said,"Son, did you realise that Pilot's can only marry whores & barmaids?",to which I replied "No sir I did not, why is that?"."Because Laddie, they are the only people who will put up with them!"
Nuff Said

------------------
Those who say it cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt the engineer doing it.

The Invisible Man
19th Apr 2001, 11:44
Check out the difference in replies to questions posted in our thread, and Rumours and news. Look at page 2 in RAF boys -Easy life. Comments like "extract head from rear orafice" etc, "Must have chips on both shoulders" its goes on. Compare that to the replies given by Engineers on the ATA100 series...Help thread. Polite, extremely help, no signs of any inflated egos, just a willingness to help a fellow engineer.
What a decent bunch of guys we are!!!

Capt Pit Bull
25th Apr 2001, 03:26
And of course it always pays to be polite because you never know who is lurking in your forum!

CPB

The Invisible Man
25th Apr 2001, 19:30
Capt.Pit Bull,
You are more than welcome here, and if ever you should need advice about anything technical, you know where we are.
T.I.M.

4Rvibes
25th Apr 2001, 22:45
Air Ambulance Ops....
We had a senior training guy, pissed off at working the line, who used to throw his (leather) jacket and his lunch in the back of the aircraft, sometimes over the patient.
Not surprisingly on one flight the paramedics unloaded the pilots stuff with the patients. Cue one happy patient with a leather flying jacket and smoked salmon rolls and one pissed off jockey, wet and hungry.
Remember, what goes around, comes around.

moremj2
25th Apr 2001, 23:15
Professionalism breeds professionals.

Having been called "sir" by an SQ pilot was a highlight in my career!!

------------------
If you're going out into the blue, be sure your engines got more mj2

Jedi Knight
27th Apr 2001, 02:15
I do remember a whinging pilot who told me that this certain aircraft was a right cow to fly,so I reminded him that this plane couldn't be a cow beacause a cow has the c@*t at the back end!

GoodToGo!
27th Apr 2001, 02:33
Unfortunately, if those nice people seated at the pointy end weren't around, We would be out of a job! Anyone can break a jet, only relatively few can fix 'em.

Hmmm.... Me an injuneer.... I like that thought.... :-)

GTG

------------------
And remember, she's GoodToGo!

spannerhead
27th Apr 2001, 10:58
Because we are sooo polite, does it mean we are CIVIL engineers.

aeroguru
28th Apr 2001, 10:46
Ode to moremj2
You got your mj2,
and you are called "sir" by SQ,
Regards from me Matey,
the guy with the 2380!

reboot
28th Apr 2001, 20:26
I am RUDE, I have a potaoe on each shoulder, I cant sell, and its all done in the worst posable taste, but I enjoy it.

:) :)
:) :)

The Invisible Man
29th Apr 2001, 00:53
Seems the military are at it as well, read "Miltary Aircrew---GR1 Mates" Calling each other "Tosspots" !!!!!!!