PDA

View Full Version : FLS to shut for 12 hours after takeover

Whot_no_tug
25th May 2001, 20:37
Word on the street is that FLS’s new owners intend to do what BMA did years ago. After they see what the real situation is & after everyone goes through an appraisal system, they will shut the company down & make everyone redundant.
They will then offer jobs to those who are worth employing then next day. Although this is a costly exercise, it is seen as necessary to clear out all the driftwood.
New contracts & less approval pay.
The summer maintenance program is being shuffled to allow for this. Contractors will cover the line along with customer liaison engineers most of whom hold authorisation.
Anyone else heard this?

red 5
25th May 2001, 21:04
Who's the new owner then.

spannersatcx
25th May 2001, 23:53
If they effectively sack everyone then surely they are then outside of their 145 approval that should set the manning requirement and they would therefore not be able to hold that approval and would then not be able to employ contractors? Just a question not a criticism!

KwikPhix
26th May 2001, 01:00
I remember a certain'permy' smugly saying to me as i left hangar 4 after being blown out (along with all the other 'connies' one april) see thats the trouble with being a connie you never know when it's going to happen. well the truth is in this volatile world of boom, bang and bust none of us know when it's going to happen, but most of us have got families, mortgages, and commitments as well. Just because we seek out a living wherever we can find one ie. we "get on our bikes" and find it, does't mean we are second class,unintelligent morons. Next time you hear the phrase " get shot of him he's only a connie" think on-it could happen to you. Best of luck you chaps hope you are lucky and keep your jobs.

Bus429
26th May 2001, 04:06
As Spanners says, I think the CAA will take a dim view of that. What if some of those blown out are nominated post holders/JAA Form 4 nominees? MOE has to be amended/approved. Are they going to suspend their 145 for the day? Who is going authorise the connies if they are licensed? Some customer reps have authorisations issued by FLS. Will they be valid if the company shuts down for a day? Can you see Airtours, JMC, GO et all agreeing to this?

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

SchmiteGoBust
26th May 2001, 05:01
Bus,
Just a thought. What happens to all the current contracts that FLS have. Do the organisation who buy them have to honour all the contracts or is everything "up in the air for grabs" as it were.
I suppose it's all part of the law of contracts, but if I bought a business I would certainly want to pick and choose the contracts to keep. If I couldn't do this I wouldn't buy it!!!
As I said, only the thoughts of a grunt...hehehe.How are you by the way?

dovetail
26th May 2001, 10:41
This will be a real headache for the regulator, and for the airlines that use FLS for all their maintenance management such as GO. No maintenance support - no Gofly

Bus429
27th May 2001, 05:27
Schmite - under 145, a contract for maintenance (base, line and even one-off down-route) has to exist between the provider and the (JAR-OPS) operator. One issue for a new owner is who is going to be the accountable manager? The AM has to have direct control over financial issues (look through the manuals in your office). Any change in the management structure in that regard has to be submitted to the CAA on a JAA Form 4. I would imagine it would be a good idea for the new owner to get involved with the CAA asap. Given FLS's rather chequered past, they should take a close look at all issues. You and I know some of the issues. FLS might have an opportunity to sort out their affairs. Hopefully, jobs will not be lost.
I'll email you. The guys in tthe glass house have my other email addresses should you want to get in touch.

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

[This message has been edited by Bus429 (edited 27 May 2001).]

jetfueldrinker
27th May 2001, 15:08
So has FLS Areospace been sold? If so, who are the new owners? Is it Billy Boeing, or is it a bunch of venture capitalists who think that running a maintenence organisation is a bit like playing with a giant train set? Whatever the case, it would be difficult to shut the shop for any length of time as the airlines would not have any maintenance cover. Don't forget, no CRS no fly.

snaphead
27th May 2001, 16:13
Heard same rumour this morning from a fls line guy who also said airtours taking over man line as new owners not intersted in line maintenance (whoever they may be)

Pengineer
27th May 2001, 20:07
Am I missing something here? has FLS been sold? if so to who?

old-timer
28th May 2001, 11:37
I heard it was air canada, or someone
from that neck of the woods ?
there is an employment law called TUPE
I believe, which states that a new owner
must retain exisiting staff,

aeroguru
28th May 2001, 13:13
New owner is GSS.
Global Supply Systems.A UK AOC holder.
Planning massive expansion and will attract work from a certain US carrier and a national airline!

Penn Doff
28th May 2001, 13:31
This would also explain the current rumours of BA pulling work out of Taffs Garage, I though it may be to use the Cambridge based company.

Is this takeover of Dublin as well?

As for TUPE, this will not matter if they close the company down for a period.

------------------
"please report further"

ottiss
29th May 2001, 01:59
now i know why they call this the rumur network you guys dont know s%^t

Jango
29th May 2001, 12:24
Obviously a considered opinion Ottiss....so please enlighten us with what you know?

------------------
Old age and treachery will always triumph over youth and enthusiasm.

wryly smiling
29th May 2001, 13:24
Penn
Where did you here the rumour of BA pulling out of taffs garage?

Inspector Gadget
29th May 2001, 15:00
Sounds to me to be the ideal time to take the money and run!

aeroguru
29th May 2001, 17:24
Jango, you still in Sing?
Did you see ad in flight by Sing Aerospace?
How would that be?

Penn Doff
29th May 2001, 22:27
Wryly, the gen came from a mate of mine who was contracting at Taff's before xmas, apparently all the staff told to pull their socks up or BA would take their a/c up the Cambridge way.

------------------
"please report further"

gas path
30th May 2001, 00:12
What... you don't mean out of the 'frying pan and into the fire'....do you?

as,I,see,it
1st Jun 2001, 14:31
Ottiss, do you possibly work for an uplifting company. That could be why you know s**t. Probably see you around after Paris then.
yoU Talk Carefully!

Ignore my ramblings by all means, add some if you like, it's only, As I see it