PDA

View Full Version : powerline construction Brisbane/Gateway bridge

ground effect
3rd Jul 2005, 07:09
Was just wondering what operator was stringing the powerlines near the Gateway Bridge in Brisbane this morning (3/7/05). White AS350(B??). Unable to read the Rego.

First time I have seen this type of work `up close` and from where I was sitting looks like there are lots of issues to consider to ensure a safe and efficient job.

The pilot was draging/unreeling the wire from a ground source (out of view to me). Although tracking sideways at a very slow rate the heli still had a considerable lateral rotation about the longitudinal axis. Impressive to watch.

Any comments or stories from the pilots out there who have been involved in this sort of work?

Disguise Delimit
3rd Jul 2005, 11:23
Haven't done it in a Squirrel, but in a Jetbanger it is a real handful.

Not much excess power, not much control over fuselage attitude, dismal view of what is happening underneath, relying on groundies with radios, and other groundies trying to remember the briefing you gave them.

Biggest problem is the cable drum - if it doesn't have a brake that is easily and smoothly applied and released, you are going to experience some horrible pitch attitudes and windows full of trees. I had one rockape who substituted the drum I saw on the recce, with a drum that had no brake at all. He used a lump of 4x2 jammed against the drum to provide braking. Usually it was too much braking, and when the wood caught on fire and he dropped it, there was too little!:8

overpitched
4th Jul 2005, 05:24
Almost definately VH-LED. It is able to string heavier wire than the aeropower 500s. The company is "Leading Edge Helicopters". THey have just been down in VIC doing some similar work around Sale.