PDA

View Full Version : Russian Museums Comrades!!

MR777
2nd Jul 2005, 13:59
Chaps

I am off to visit Moscow and St Petesburg in August! I would love to visit a russian aerospace museum. Surely someone on PPRUNE must have some details on where is best to go... How to get there and who I will have to bribe to get in!!!

Any help is really appreciated!!

M :}

aviate1138
2nd Jul 2005, 15:31
MR777, looking for Russian aviation museums....

Try...
National Aviation and Space Museum, 24a Leningradsky Prospekt, Moscow, 125040, Russia. Phone (7095) 213-88-53. Open daily from 10:00 a. m. to 7:00 p. m. Admission: $2

I am told it is well worth a peek!

Also http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Museums.html

Covers most available.

Aviate1138

H.Finn
2nd Jul 2005, 17:54
I understand that the museum at the old Khodynka airport was closed a few years ago. Could be wrong, but better check beforehand.

barit1
2nd Jul 2005, 21:13
I would encourage some prior pre-planning for this one: Monino (http://www.flymig.com/Monino/)

(Did I make myself sufficiently redundant again?)

H.Finn
3rd Jul 2005, 17:57
Mike, the museum next to the Aersostar hotel is the "National Aviation and Space Museum", which AFAIK has been shut down a couple of years ago. Go for Monino.

WHBM
4th Jul 2005, 15:17
MR:

The best is Monino, in a Moscow suburb. They seem to have one of every type built. It needs some pre-organsation though as you just can't turn up; use a Russian friend to make the calls to arrange things with them first. You will be expected on the day - and welcomed.

There is an illustrated English-language guide available there produced and sold as a private venture by one of the (pretty much unpaid) staff. He's a fascinating guy to talk to, a retired ex-Yak test pilot.

PM me if you don't have anyone Russian-speaking to do the arranging.

MR777
27th Jul 2005, 19:38
Thanks Chaps

The Company I booked my Russian tour with are organising a day trip to Monino with Russian Guide. They have sent peole before!!

Happy landings

M

foxile
28th Jul 2005, 08:57
Went to Monino when visiting Moscow in 2002. The agency, that gave me a guide for the duration, organised the trip to the museum. Excellent place. Be prepared to be personally welcomed by the commandant, taken to his office and offered the opportunity to buy his guide book, which actually, is worth having.

You'll get a museum guide who may well give you the brief of the great patriotic war, etc. He will then take you outside to show you the real exhibits. With me he rushed this a bit so when he finished and seemed to be moving to the exit I asked to spend some time wandering alone. No problem. So, spent a wonderful hour or so freely wandering around those icons of the cold war.

Enjoy

Foxile

strake
28th Jul 2005, 09:26
You might find this of interest. Whilst the Central Armed Forces Museum is not just about aircraft, there are some excellent examples in the "backlot" that you can touch and feel. It really is a great visit.

Of course..their main attraction is the remnants of a U2 spyplane on the second floor...now I wonder where that came from???

http://www.threewhales.ru/t26.htm

paulc
29th Jul 2005, 10:11
Have been to Monino twice and it is well worth the effort. Over 150 exhibits covering all aspects of russian aviation. Watch out for the guard dog though - he is chained up but it is a long chain and he if gets a good run up will drag his kennel a few yards before giving up. Have a look at airliners.net or jetphotos.net to give an idea of what is there.

Aksai Oiler
31st Jul 2005, 10:29
We have an office in the Aerostar, and I visited the Museam last year with a collegue of mine. We were turfed off the site by the owner and the last time I enquired the exhibits had been bulldozed into a large pit to make way for new housing. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to check the last time I was in Moscow due to Basil Brush coming for the May Day parade. Would be a crying shame if it's true.

Oiler