PDA

View Full Version : Advice on becoming a ferry pilot please!

AeroBatfink
2nd Jul 2005, 12:36
*I did do a search on this, but couldn't see anything relevant - apologies if this is old ground and I missed a previous discussion*

The story so far is that I'm (still!!) saving up and working gradually towards getting my commercial licence, and looking for an interesting career option to kick off my flying career once I get my CPL. I have no interest in flying for the airlines - I can see the appeal of the work for many, but it's not really me. Among the options available outide of the airline industry, ferry flying is one that I'd like to look into.

However, I don't know more than the average person about what's involved, so if anyone can offer their experience of work as a ferry pilot, it would be a big help! You know; info like what a delivery job might involve, skills needed, barriers to getting started in the work, advantages/disadvantages over other types of flying career, renumeration, etc - plus anything else that might be relevant.

Thanks in advance!
AB

flyingfemme
4th Jul 2005, 13:43
Flying ferries, these days, generally requires more experience than right-seating in a charter or airline job.

You are not insurable to cross oceans until you have done it several times with an experienced pilot. You need to provide your own equipment (suit, raft, lifejackets, charts, plates) and be self-employed. An ability to solve problems and be diplomatic is useful and the confidence to jump into any aircraft (with any avionics fit) and get on with the job is essential. The work isn't regular or particularly well paid.

Have I put you off yet?

If you are free and single, without too many financial commitments, it can be great fun.

AeroBatfink
4th Jul 2005, 15:58
Thanks FF, the experience/insurance aspect is a little surprising, but does really make sense when one thinks a bit more about the job. After all, who's going to trust an inexperienced pilot with an expensive aircraft?

I imagine the start-up costs are a lot, as all that safety equipment can't be cheap - any ideas of who to speak to about prices etc?

The self-employed nature of the job appeals to me, as does the problem-solving/diplomatic aspect, but how on earth do you actually start getting work? Is there some kind of ferry pilot's employment agency? Or does it all work on word-of-mouth?

I must admit, you haven't put me off at all, if anything you've made me more interested in getting to the stage where I can start doing it!

flyingfemme, if you or anyone else on here can help with any of the questions I have, it would be a big help. Cheers! :ok:

BoeingMEL
10th Jul 2005, 15:30
Hope this helps..based upon my own experience:

This should be your absolute minimum:

Instrument rating - current and with recent real IF experience
Experience on a wide range of singles and multis
The ability to navigate without GPS or ground-based navaids
HF radio experience
Oceanic experience
A REAL understanding of meteorolgy..particularly frontal patterns and ice and fog formation.
Real experience flying in icing conditions.
The ability to think on your feet, cope with burocracy and smile when you're stuck in Gander.
The ability to carry out thorough pre-flight checks and pre-ferry consumption tests - fuel and oil.
A ver clear understanding of weight, balance and performance issues. This is just the start!

Of course, if you're just hoping to ferry light singles within the UK in VMC/VFR conditions, your PPL experience may be enough BUT be prepared to wait at the end of a very long queue! Cheers, bm

erikv
12th Jul 2005, 08:37
there are two totally different worlds of ferrying out there: ferrying general aviation a/c is one, ferrying commuter/transport aircraft another. Business aircraft may be part of one world or the other depending on range, equipment etc.

Do a search on the internet and you will come up with dozens of companies from those operating between states or coast-to-coast in the US to those mainly ferrying transport aircraft worldwide.

I agree with flyingfemme and BoeingMEL on the skills and experience needed and would like to add good limited-panel IF-skills. You may be able to save some money by renting survival equipment, but keep in mind that you may find it hard to ship back your liferaft upon arrival. These are considered dangerous goods when carried in your luggage or as cargo on a commercial flight.

Erik.