PDA

View Full Version : Bristol (brs) Tonight?

ALLDAYDELI
1st Jul 2005, 19:37
Whats going on at Bristol Airport tonight? I hear its closed and flights diverting to LON area, LHR taking most of the BA stuff..

Chuffer Chadley
1st Jul 2005, 19:45
The BBC reports that the A38 is closed in both directions near the airport due to an 'incident'.

Which advances our knowledge insignificantly...

CBA_caption
1st Jul 2005, 19:59
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4642937.stm)

Suspicos... suspisio....dodgy package found.

M609
1st Jul 2005, 23:08
Got a CFMU message at work tonight......stated something benign as reason. Smokescreen?

WATABENCH
2nd Jul 2005, 00:11
Suspect bag came in from MAD with EZY, was ment to be heading to LTN, was screened and components for bomb making equipment looked like being in bag, also apparently ticking, The whole airport was evacuated for 4 hours and pax sent to old terminal, no traffic was allowed in or out of airport boundaries and bomb squad called in. I/B flights most came in, couple diverted, pax stayed on aircarfts until all clear given, nothing allowed to park on stands 1-5, apart from KM which was midway thru boarding and pax again taken to old terminal, if it had gone on longer a/c would of started stacking on taxiway, 2nd FCA from TFS was told he would have to but just as he landed all clear given, All airport/handling/airlines did really well dealing with it, think a few EZYs and BAs canx, but all other departing a/c went really quickly, it was a great team effort by anybody connected with BRS and the airport in my opinion should be proud how it dealt with the situation.
WELL DONE BRS:ok:

Fernando_Covas
2nd Jul 2005, 07:27
Why did they keep accepting aircraft? I managed to speak to people I work with and they said that the terminal was evacuated reasonably quickly but not a lot of staff knew what to do once all the passengers were in the tunnel. They then decided to use buses to take passengers to the old terminal. They also said that there was going to be an airport staff meeting in the fire station but they couldn't get near it and had to wait in alphas parking bay untill someone told then that it was not going to happen. All credit to the workers though who worked so well last night and the guy that spotted it deserves a promotion.

TwoDots
2nd Jul 2005, 08:34
So was there a bomb or not ?
Media seems not to be making a meal of it ...

Speedtape
2nd Jul 2005, 09:45
So was there a bomb or not ?

Seriously doubt it. No one uses clockwork timers these days:rolleyes: A mobile phone (or it's innards) does a far better job plus it can be used as a timed detonator or a remotely activated detonator.
Good hoax though;)

Standard Noise
2nd Jul 2005, 09:53
There is nothing 'good' about a hoax bomb incident.

Floppy Link
2nd Jul 2005, 11:21
unless good lessons are learnt for next time, when it may not be a dud

Hank Birofski
2nd Jul 2005, 14:55
From the Avon and Somerset Constabulary Website

Incident at Bristol International Airport (North Somerset)

Added - Saturday, 2 July 2005 0:22

Police were called to Bristol International Airport just after 6pm today (July 1) after reports that suspect baggage had been discovered.

The baggage was discovered by staff at the airport who were carrying out security screening inside the main terminal.

As a precautionary measure an evacuation procedure was carried out in line with the airport’s security policy. Within 10 minutes the main terminal was fully evacuated.

After viewing X-ray images, both staff at Bristol International Airport and police were concerned about a number of items that were identified inside the suspect baggage.

Police contacted the army’s bomb disposal team to attend the airport and examine the suspect baggage.

The bomb disposal team confirmed that the reactions of both airport staff and the police were correct and after the team assessed the baggage it decided to carry out a controlled explosion.

The building was declared safe at 9.35pm and shortly afterwards passengers were allowed back into the terminal.

Police airport commander inspector Chris Ware said: “Images displayed on the airport’s X-ray equipment warranted further investigation and in the interest of the safety of passengers a decision was taken to evacuate the terminal.

“The Bomb Disposal Team later confirmed that the items inside the baggage were not dangerous, but reiterated that the actions by police and airport staff was correct.

“The evacuation of the terminal was a text book operation and was carried out professionally, effectively and in line with emergency planning procedures.

”Passengers were fully cooperative throughout the incident and we thank them for their patience.”

Police have spoken to the passenger who owns the baggage and investigations are continuing.

WATABENCH
2nd Jul 2005, 17:40
No the bag didnt contain explosives, it was destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Speedtape
2nd Jul 2005, 19:23
Ok so not even a hoax then. Just another over reaction:suspect:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Jul 2005, 20:35
<<Just another over reaction>>

Safety is NEVER an over-reaction Speedtape....

Ronbmy
3rd Jul 2005, 00:26
Ok so not even a hoax then. Just another over reaction

I wouldn't like to be in a position where you are responsible for my safety.

If you ever discover a suspicious package you follow procedure. With your attitude I hope you never get as close to an active device as I have been or someone may end up swilling your attitude down a grid with bits of flesh and bone.