PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Interview

newcrew
1st Jul 2005, 18:29
Hi all

I have a interview at Nationwide Airlines next week…(got told today…am delighted!!!).

I am looking for any advice or tips re the interview?

All help greatly appreciated.

:) :) :) :)

Cessnafan
1st Jul 2005, 19:19
Take your cheque book with if you want the job!
Seriously though, good luck. Let us know.

Shrike200
1st Jul 2005, 23:57
Hi,

I can't give you much in the way of advice, but have a question instead. Would you mind giving me a general idea of your level of experience etc? I'm just curious what they're looking for nowdays, but I'll understand if you're reluctant. Maybe you could PM me? I do have some idea of what they ask.

Regards, and good luck.

beechbum
2nd Jul 2005, 07:00
Newcrew, all I can say is.....out of the frying pan into the fire!!!!
Good luck!! If you thought the rosters and terms were bad at your present place of employ, multiply that by 100 and you get Nationwide!!! Prep on the usual stuff....high speed flight, Jepp, Met stuff....i.e. deciphering a TAF and Metar. Know your various codes etc etc etc. And as others have said take your cheque book!!!!
Good luck again!!!!

sky waiter
2nd Jul 2005, 08:11
You ging for an FO interview or a 767?

Take me with!!!! I'll happily fly 100hrs a month jet time.

Good luck let us know how it goes...:ok: :ok:

Bravo Echo November
2nd Jul 2005, 09:13
The interview is for F/o on B732. I heard this yesterday! Good luck and well done.

Just be prepared for hard work and lots of flying. I think they are looking for 8 f/o's.

Whenwe
2nd Jul 2005, 11:40
The guys at the selection board will select on merit and experience.

Vernon has the final say and he does consider your ability to pay.

Nationwide has had their fair share of resignations and they will probably have to look seriously at the level of experience and potential command for the future.

SFO
5th Jul 2005, 19:10
Yes, indeed, take your check book and then some. The last group still have not been paid and there training took 4 months! At least one poor soul had to take a second loan to survive.

Shrike200
6th Jul 2005, 04:34
Sounds fantastic...I'm sure they're flooded with applications. Oh wait, this is aviation, they probably are!

newcrew
10th Jul 2005, 13:28
possibble sim check

hi all

thanks for all the help with the interview...i think it went ok / well

not much on the technical side mostly personal stuff and crm stuff

possibble sim check in the next week or two...so does anybody have any tips or gen re nationwide sim check, and sim check in general

all help much appreciated

fly safe

:) :) :) :)

Shrike200
11th Jul 2005, 03:45
They should post you a profile to be flown - just try and stick to that, pitch attitudes, V speeds, flap schedule etc. They (logically) will not expect you to act as a proficient B732 crewmember, just to fly using whatever operational procedures you are already familiar with. It therefore helps if you're familiar with multi-crew ops. You should be given some Q&A time before with the guy who will check you out. When you fly, you can generally choose which seat to sit in (not sure what their policy may be), and the check pilot will act as a 'dumb' FO, ie he will just do what you say without prompting or leading you, just asking you to perform specific tasks.

Do a barrel roll on the ILS, it always impresses them! (Or not, as the case may be :ok: )

406pilot
11th Jul 2005, 05:24
hi there bud..

try to fly the pitch attitudes as accurately as you can..and remember power gives you speed and the power is there for you to use it so dont be shy to use it aggrevise input if the need be..the speed donut should tell you the approximate trend so be ready to catch the speed with power... minimise the use of rudder...(difficult if ur from the piston arena like me)..

all in all enjoy the ride.. and all the best

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Jelly Doughnut
11th Jul 2005, 05:48
and remember the pitch-power couple on the 737. You have to trim with every power change due to the low underslung engines.
When you add thrust, the nose wants to go up, so you must trim down. Reduce thrust, nose drops, so trim up. Apply a small amount of trim immediately when you move the thrust levers!!

Good luck:ok:

406pilot
11th Jul 2005, 08:16
yeah ....and while ur doing that keep the scan going buddy do not fixate on any one instrument ..i did my sim eval with a south african outfit aswell..basically take off from jhb 03l comply with a sid then straight climb to 15000'...after level off high speed cruise then reducing to 210 knots...steep turns each side maintaining 250kts and ..followed by a decent to 8000'...single engine recognition and vectored single engine ils on 03r and he even let me do the landing....

no more 406pilot

newcrew
22nd Jul 2005, 09:42
hi all

thanks again for all the help

well got through the interview and have a sim check next thur

what do you guys and girls feel are the 3 most important attributes they are looking for in the sim check

secondly some guys had a check ride last week monday (with nationwide) - any tips guys?

fly safe and have a great weekend

thanks for the help

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Whenwe
22nd Jul 2005, 16:43
Just fly the aircraft to the best of your ability. Don't work yourself up into a stew! Relax and enjoy it.

Some good gen from JellyD and 406P.

That ILS approach need to be good and as stable as you can handle it. Get the 40 flaps as soon as you are on the glideslope and keep your power changes as little as possible, remember the advice from JD.

A good ILS approach is always a good indication of your ability.

Good luck and say Hi to PG

newcrew
25th Jul 2005, 14:03
what is being tested ?

was just wondering how important the actual hand flying skills are in the sim check, what about things like hadling the stress, crm, procedural knowlage etc etc

what is really being tested ?

fly safe

:D :D :D :D :D

Bravo Echo November
26th Jul 2005, 06:23
What are the rules? Aviate, Navigate and communicate. You have to fly before anything. If you can't handfly the rest will be nowhere!

And believe me you do handfly quite a bit!

Whenwe
26th Jul 2005, 14:22
Prepare your self mentally for this test.

You know the pattern to be flown. Fly it in your mind over and over again, visualize every segment of the flight and how you should fly it. Handle the possible emergencies, such as an engine failure recognition etc in your mind and ofcourse, you do it perfect in your mind.

Look it works, and certainly does for me. Try it.

worsmasjien
27th Jul 2005, 10:03
Newcrew

Thought I would give you 2 cents worth. Afraid I have to disagree with some of the advice on 737 sim. Don't know Nationwide but I have a few thousand hours on the 737 so here goes. Do NOT make aggressive changes to thrust and you really don't have to trim for every thrust change(only the big one's)! You will be so busy trimming you will forget the basics.

Big changes in thrust only with gpws, windshear or stick shaker, for the rest make it really smooth otherwise she will run away. Having said that, if they require you to level off at say 8000 feet @ 210kias you will need to come back a lot, just above idle. For the rest remember swept wing, straight and level 2.5 to 5 degrees nose up depending on speed. Have'nt flown the 73 for a while so I don't want to give you specifics but flap 40 about 2.5 degrees nose up on the ils(40 requires bit of nose up trim). 210 Clean 5 degrees nose up etc etc.

If they give you engine failure just after v1 to make life easy do NOT hoof the rudder, the rudder is extremely powerful and too much will roll you inverted real quick. Stop the roll(she will roll a lot at low speed and high thrust) with aileron and once you have it under control feed in rudder and then trim.

Can go on forever but the most important thing is to relax and enjoy.

Good luck:ok:

newcrew
27th Jul 2005, 12:25
thanks all who have replied since i last posted - all the advice and help is much appreciated....

was just wondering how important the actual hand flying skills are in the sim check, what about things like hadling the stress, crm, procedural knowlage etc etc

what is really being tested ?

anybody have any thoughts on the above

fly safe

worsmasjien
27th Jul 2005, 14:19
newcrew

I would say all the above, you don't have to ace the flying, just be safe. If the approach is getting hairy stick your pride in your pocket and go around and try again. Remember all airlines have very strict "in the slot" requirements with mandatory go around at 500' if you're unstable(have seen a couple of nationwide app'es that should have ended in go arounds and did'nt but those were a few years ago!). They will try and rush you because they are paying Comair for the sim and would like to push a couple of guys through, but when you feel the pressure just slow it down, bugger the instructor is my motto, especially if you are unsure of what they want. Remember to brief the app to the guy next to you, even if he is just window dressing because it will serve as confirmation to yourself as well.

Sorry if I sound like an old fart, most of the above is logic but if it is your first time in a real sim things happen really quickly and it will be over in no time :ooh:

Cheers

Shrike200
27th Jul 2005, 18:44
And try not to pitch around like a wayward porpoise! I speak from experience.....the sims apparently tend to be a little bit more prone to pitching around than the real ac, possibly due to the slight difference in feel.

406pilot
10th Aug 2005, 10:48
hi there new crew,

please share witrh your fellow aviators...who did the sim check go?????did they find what thety were looking for??

no more 406pilot