PDA

View Full Version : Air Zim Emergency Landing

Qwagga
1st Jul 2005, 14:25
So, maybe someone knows anything about the emergency landing at JIA, something of a hell of an investigation about all that went wrong, smoke in the cockpit, an evacuation going wrong etc? Where's our mate 737fanatic maybe he will shed some light on it!

Hope all else is fine, happy landings!

McGreaser
1st Jul 2005, 15:47
From where did this information emanate from that the evacuation was botched ? Or that things went wrong ? Since you say or are insinuating that there's an investiagtion going on let's wait to here the findings before you get all excited and wet your pants ! :ok:

Qwagga
1st Jul 2005, 16:18
McGreaser,
not insinuating anything, was on public news that this is what the SACAA is investigating, apparently some passengers got injured...? That is why I am asking if anyone knows the real story.....

:ok:

Rhodie
2nd Jul 2005, 10:42
CAA concerned about SA airports safety standards 7/2/2005 11:34:08 AM
The Civil Aviation Authority says all flights into South Africa airports must adhere to this country's safety standards. The aviation body is finalising its report into an incident in which an Air Zimbabwe plane made an emergency landing at the Joburg International Airport last month.

Ninety-three passengers had to be evacuated from the Boeing 737 after the pilot noticed smoke in the cockpit. Some of them were injured in the process. CAA spokesman Gilbert Twala says they will decide on an appropriate penalty for Air Zimbabwe if need be.

Listening to the verbal statement from CAA - seems to confirm that someone c@cked-up.

R

makeapullup
2nd Jul 2005, 13:09
a bit harsh about the injury thing. i remember reading in the papers something about a pregnant woman, epileptic person and one with back pain. sounds to me like they might get injured climbing out of bed! thought the azw crew did great.

McGreaser
3rd Jul 2005, 16:50
Not wanting to scr@w an ant but from but still fail to see where the verbal statement say's UM c@cked up ? Unless of course it was actually said on the telly, radio or from a tree top and must have missed it ! And secondly should a pax evacuation considered as a violation of safety standards ? Just trying to imagine what the penalty could be for ? Smoke in the cockpit, smoking in the cockpit, people getting injured in an evacuation (which is inevitable), the F/O taking advantage of the smoke in the cockpit to let rip a boiled egg stained f@rt, gosh the least is endless ! Can't wait to see what the penalty will be for. Not that am saying there isn't a possibility somebody c@cked up but let's wait for the investigation before people start making frivolous statements. Let's look on the positive side people got out safely with obvious casualities. Any a/c incident/accident will scare the hell out of any pax with everybody trying to get to terra firma by any means necessary.

BAKELA
11th Jul 2005, 17:47
If it's not your day, it's not your day. :}

Sh!t happens, we all know it. We're all flyers (or ex-flyers) and don't forget how we sometimes (then and now) sit with the "enemy" and sink a couple of pints (or whatever?). :ok:

I still remember the night in about '83 when the ATC's at LA gave the late Samora Machel's pilots a "GCA" into LA and we had some great drinks (euphamism for getting p!ssed?) with them and even had a look at their AN-26 (very, very scarce in SA at that time - for obvious reasons). :confused:

SebasW
11th Jul 2005, 20:21
Don't shoot the messenger but I heard a rumour that they used the inflateable slide to get the pax out but they failed to inflate it completely and some of the pax landed bum to gravel quite hard.

Don't know if it's true, don't even know if a 73's got a slide, just a rumour???

Coleman Myers
16th Jul 2005, 16:37
Joseph M did a great job ... even if there is nothing unusual about smoke in that aircrafts cockpit