PDA

View Full Version : Formatting HD on Laptop

toothpic
1st Jul 2005, 13:30
Hi,

I have acquired and old Toshiba laptop from work, and want to be able to format the Hard drive, and put in a fresh install of XP, at the moment the O/S is Win2000 NT PRO.
When I tried to format the HDD it wont let me as it says there is a partition on the disk, and this cannot be "demounted"... The XP install disk wont overwrite 2000NT, is there any way I can format the HDD and allow a fresh install of XP.

I have saved the drivers for sound and graphics support, are there any other drivers I should salvage from the HD before I format??, and is there a simple step by step process that I can follow? Many thanks

maxell
1st Jul 2005, 13:53
Try This (http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/reformat-FAT32-XP.html) if you have a XP disc

Stoney X
1st Jul 2005, 15:16
Some hard disk manufacturers provide bootdisks with software to format and partition particular types of hard drives. Might be worth a look if you can get one for your make/model. The boot disk I downloaded from the Maxtor's website worked a charm in partioning and formating my drive.

Regards
Stoney

toothpic
1st Jul 2005, 15:19
Thanks for the prompt replies, I will try this when I get home tonight... thanks again.

Toothpic

toothpic
4th Jul 2005, 19:36
Thanks Guys,
Maxell, the link did the trick, XP running nicely on the laptop, thanks to both of you for the assistance, much appreciated:p