PDA

View Full Version : Flying Legends 2005

MKDC8
1st Jul 2005, 12:10
Just wondering if anyone knows of anything different that is coming to Flying Legends, last year the superb Breitling Connie turned up with a load of pax, anyone know if there is anything similar planned regarding visiting warbirds or other aircraft.

I may well have missed the thread initially, but would ppreciate any help on the above.

treadigraph
1st Jul 2005, 12:46
I've heard that the Swedish Saab B-17 (not the Boeing bomber!) will be there which will certainly be a first for the UK.

Hoepfully TFC's Hawk 75 will be flying and also the P-51C - is it really eight years since her debut?

Other than that I exepct that Jane Larcombe and her colleagues have arranged several other surprises - I like surprises!

And I'll be there too, though I doubt the term "Flying Legend" applies to me.

WHBM
5th Jul 2005, 17:49
I can be there either Saturday or Sunday

Assuming the forecast is equal for both days, which promises anything in the display better than the other day ? Website not clear on this. It doesn't seem to give the display start time either (I assume 1400)

treadigraph
5th Jul 2005, 18:09
Grayfly tells me that the London VE/VJ Flypast will be setting sail from Duxford on the Sunday, and that the flightline will be squeezed to capacity so that might be the better day.

Are you receiving Grayfly, any more info?

Kick off should be at 2pm, usually is.

Saw a pic of the P-51C landing today, so she's hopefully at full fighting fitness again.

hairyclameater
6th Jul 2005, 12:17
Rumour control mentions a certain large biplane that made a long haul flight recently...........

treadigraph
6th Jul 2005, 12:29
Yes I've heard that too, so it must be true...!

Bernard Chabbert's Lockheed 12 - or is it a 10? - should be there as well, believe tis taking part in the flypast. Be great to see the Connie again - or the Dutch one - or both...

WHBM
7th Jul 2005, 06:43
Any info on time of London flypast (to guess time of departure/return at Duxford)

Jhieminga
7th Jul 2005, 06:59
Be great to see the Connie again - or the Dutch one - or both...
I doubt if you'll see the Dutch one there. It's been standing still at EHLE ever since its arrival there. Apparently there are still engine problems preventing her from flying regularly. On a related note, the Dutch Catalina was rumoured to also have developed engine problems recently and might looking for a replacement engine before they can fly again.

treadigraph
7th Jul 2005, 07:15
Flypast scheduled for 5pm according to "What's on in London" - presumably the massed flypast at DX might be earlier this year. Leg Ends display begins at 2pm.

Sorry to hear about the Dutch Connie and Cat, hope they both recover soon.

Treadders

WHBM
8th Jul 2005, 10:12
Some speculation in the press that the VE/VJ display and flypast in London this weekend may now be scrubbed. Anyone have hard information on this ?

Hope it carries on and maintains the old WW2 style of "business as usual" in all circumstances.

treadigraph
8th Jul 2005, 16:11
Dunno whether the the VE/VJ flypast has been cancelled - I certainly hope not, Winnie would turn in his grave.

The contra-rotating Spitfire XIX has arrived at Duxford amongst many other gems - mmmmmm!

I'll be there Sunday, probably in the vicinity of the beer tent around 12 before getting a vantage point near the Vulcan (which has probably been moved since May just to confuse me).

WHBM
9th Jul 2005, 10:51
Am going with Mrs WHBM :) so beer tent visits for me will be brief.

Plus have to get home again. Have always wanted to fly in, the post-mass flypast departures look a great way to end the show by (almost) participating yourself ! Do they sell out their arrival slots well in advance ?

WHBM
10th Jul 2005, 21:00
Great day. Great weather. Great crowds. Love to stand and see the engine runups. Super displays. Bernard Chabbert (the French chap/owner of the Lockheed 12 in the display) great on the PA commentary. Thanks to all, especially owners and crews.

One single beef. The "programme". Sold as a programme for £4. Inside, no flying programme at all, just a series of articles and glossy photos that could appear in any of the aviation magazines. And just a list of aircraft, in manufacturer order. Possibly IWM need to look up the word programme in the dictionary. For £4 I would appreciate a one-page insert printed off a day or two before, so I know when NOT to go for a coffee !

dwshimoda
11th Jul 2005, 08:28
WHBM,

Agree entirely, although two other (minor) gripes - Concorde was 50p to get on - whilst this isn't a massive sum, I'd just parted with £128 entrance / landing fee for four of us, and it's normally free. Secondly, we had to queue in the sun for 45 minutes at the end to get a minibus to take us back to our planes.

It's a great way to arrive and depart, but if they want to keep attracting pilots to fly-in they need to think through the logistics - in the end it would have been quicker to drive!

Can't fault the display though -absolutely fantastic, and whole-heartedly agree with what you say about Bernard - a true gentleman and fascinating speaker.

Grayfly
11th Jul 2005, 11:14
Are you receiving Grayfly, any more info?

Sorry Treaders, the run up to FL was very hectic for all at TFC, so well done the guys on the ground!!!

Also very sorry to rush by you at the beer tent, lots still going on even then. :eek:

treadigraph
11th Jul 2005, 11:36
No probs Grayfly, you looked like a man on a mission! But then, looks can be deceiving :}

Excellent show, unfortunately we rushed off a bit too quickly, the consequence of which was a fantastic - if unnerving - view of PK coming straight towards us in the Tigercat: through the sunroof while we accelerated down the M11! :E

Congrats to everybody for arranging such a delightful weekend, and commiserations to the Rapide folk - hope the damaged wing can be rebuilt plenty quickly!

Grob Driver
11th Jul 2005, 12:59
It is a fantastic show, but one my gripe with all the Duxford airshows… You pay to go to the show, then… they take allot of the best aircraft out of the museum (understandably) and change you another £4 to see them. I’m fortunate in that I don’t have to pay to get in to the show, but for the average family of 4, it’s a lot of money on top of the entrance. I don’t think it’s fair or justified… But then we know Duxford’s views on things like this… just look at their attitude towards the WWII veterans! Ok, rant over… I’ll get my coat!