PDA

View Full Version : Any favourites at Luton

EESDL
30th Jun 2005, 18:50
I'm picking up client at Luton who is arriving by plank....can anyone recommend a handler. I've used Signature there in the past and wasn't terribly impressed - or was it because it was a dark Sunday night?

LTNman
2nd Jul 2005, 22:45
Choice of two- Signature or Harrods

Upland Goose
3rd Jul 2005, 09:58
Signature ramp can be a pain when the Easyjets and RyanAirs come and go. Changes of ownership has left them a little shell shocked which is understandable.

Harrods is much better for the "quick in and out" as you are adjacent to the Charlie holding point.

Harrods, at times, a little "swamped" with their NetJets commitments - leaving the helicopter fraternity out in the cold. Ambramovich's 767 dominates the ramp and may provide your fixed wing link up with parking problems. However,Harrods also have another ramp to the NE. (F1 on the Jepp)

On balance Harrods have the edge - I believe they are relocating their ramp supervisor from STN. He is red hot with helicopters so the future looks bright.

Hope this helps

UG

Fortyodd
3rd Jul 2005, 12:16
[QUOTE]I believe they are relocating their ramp supervisor from STN. He is red hot with helicopters so the future looks bright. [QUOTE]
Mmmmm........ Perhaps he could pass on some of his experience to ATC at Luton who generally haven't much of a clue of how to deal with helicopters. :hmm:

verticalhold
10th Jul 2005, 19:43
Fortyodd;

If you think Luton is bad try Gatwick. Luton and Heathrow are regular stops for me. Both do their best to fit us in, and I can't think of a single problem I might have had with them. Gatwick: "follow the dozens of big jets ahead, sit at a hold for hours and then you must use all that nice concrete." My fastest turn round LHR 5 mins, my fastest LGW 45 mins:yuk:

flying scotsman
10th Jul 2005, 22:57
use harrods then I can see you as I taxi by............remind me of what i'm missing

ex chopper now 'orange plank commander'.:ugh:

EESDL
11th Jul 2005, 19:33
Used Signature in the end.
Will try Harrods next time, not out of a desperate alternative but variety spice of life an all that!

No problems, ATC still insisted that I report finals for the concrete - which actually stretched atc's requirement - despite there being nothing in the way blah blah.

Silly charges but as expected for complimentary coffee (may I say how smart you're looking Captain!) and papers.

Then airport feels that it must add a 'handling levy' - still trying to work than one out.

Beautiful day for flying, just gratefull that I wasn't flying 'Die'n'air' or 'Sleazy Bet' with tubes full of tourists - then again, atleast you had aircon!!!!!!!!!!!

SilentHandover
1st Jun 2006, 09:13
VerticalHold

Not really ATC fault that I'm afraid, we'd love to have the H back and to be able to launch you quickly, but the BAA demand all movements have to use the runway sorry.

verticalhold
1st Jun 2006, 10:48
SilentHandover;

So long since I posted on this thread I'd forgotten about it. With apologies to the guys at LGW I recently had an 06:30 pick up for Battersea. in and out in 15 miutes, complete with some very good banter from the tower controller! Turn round was so fast I ended up cruising up and down H4 giving the tour guide talk whilst waiting for Battersea to open

If LGW can keep up that kind of service I will happily go there as often as possible:ok:

VH