PDA

View Full Version : CTC, OAT, CCAT - Whats the script?

geezajob
30th Jun 2005, 15:31
I'm confused, like a lot of people in this postion probably. I'm not really in a position financially to choose which school I apply to and am currently going through CTC selection. Is CTC as abd as OAT folk would have you think or is it a perfectly school good even though its not truly integrated. I know modular is a good option aswell but I'm 24 now and want to go somewhere that'll get me flying soon and with a good chance of getting a job. Though with CTC you're bonded to an airline for 7 years, big wow, I'll be 32, 33 when thats done and dusted and still have 30 odd years ahead of me. Anyone who's any opinions on this, preferably some who know what they're on about, would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Also sorry, at what stage does CTC selection become so hard? and why? not asking for a step by step guide to passing obviously but everyone says its nails

BillieBob
30th Jun 2005, 15:51
I would imagine that OAT are feeling extremely vulnerable at present, which is why they tend to lash out with groundless tosh about CTC.

The fact that CTC is a modular course is totally irrelevant - they have a better first-time pass rate than OAT, both in theoretical knowledge examinations and, particularly, at the IR. CTC's placement rate with the airlines is way better than OAT's and, in my own experience, their product is noticeably better in the RHS of a multi-pilot aeroplane.

Blinkz
30th Jun 2005, 17:09
CTC is in the process of becoming integrated, so it won't be modular for long.

geezajob
3rd Jul 2005, 16:29
I've been reading the threads recommended by scroggs before starting training and while there's all the stuff about loads and loads not making they all seem to be from a couple of years ago when the industry at its lowest after 9/11.

Is it any rosier now? The FTO's would obviously have us belive that it is but they would say that.

One last thing, is the Class 1 medical all that difficult? On OAT's forum thay said that in the last 12 months only 13 out of 1300 had failed and they all had history of serious medical problems. I've had my eyes checked by an optometrist and who deals with a lot of pilots. he says anyway! and he reckoned they were good enough for the RAF so that was my only concern. Anything else that trips folk up?

Should go and get one I know but need to wait til next month and pay day for that!

cheers

mbcxharm
3rd Jul 2005, 19:17
I would definitely suggest getting a Class 1 medical as soon as possible if you are serious about this career. You never know what might show up - I had a heart murmour as an infant which noone had noticed again until I underwent my initial Class 1 exam which then required a trip to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram. All the faffing about trying to get that sorted almost jeopardised the start date for my basic training a few months after the initial exam.

It's good to have it in the bag...

On a separate issue, I'm not sure it's really fair to compare the likes of CTC, OAT. Apples with apples and all that...What they offer is subtley different and requires quite a bit of thinking about when it comes to assessing risk and the potential outcome.

For example, with CTC you are effectively paying for the training yourself due to the reduced salary you receive after graduation. The repayments are over only 7 years, which means that in the long run you are saving on interest payments, but you have to put up with a lower income for that period than if you were paying it over a more leisurely time-frame...

Just one of the many subtle differences to consider...

geezajob
3rd Jul 2005, 22:12
Just been on ppjn.com and looked at the ezy bit.

It said about the cadet scheme at CTC and that applicant success rate was about 1.5-2%. This kind of put the ****s up me!

Been thinking while reading this though that thats maybe to get into ezy through CTC and not CTC itself. Anyone know roughly the % of applicants that get into CTC? Not that it'll make it any easier for but a bit less daunting on the day maybe!

Phase 2 on the 12th - wish me luck!

mbcxharm
3rd Jul 2005, 22:16
The fact that you've actually got through to Phase 2 means that you've already leapt one big hurdle - the application itself. The 1-2% that PPJN quotes is probably correct taking into account all the applications. For what it's worth (and I certainly wouldn't want you to think that this is robust statistics!) 2 people from my Phase 2 of 15 made it to New Zealand...

geezajob
3rd Jul 2005, 22:30
2 from 15?

got to fancy your chances haven't you!

crikey! Did most of them drop at phase 2 or later? I'm not really sure what to expect from the tests. A friend is into OAT and said his were mainly long division, long multiplication and the like. mental arithmetic anyway. He also recommended getting to grips with levers and gears and the like.

I did well at maths and physics when at school but its been a while. I've been studying again but don't know if I've too little or what.

assuming I get through, what are the interviews like. Again the guy said it was just asking why you anted to do it and what you knew about the company to make sure you're no a time waster but I'm suspicous that there's more to it!

Thanks for the reassuring stats tho!

geezajob
4th Jul 2005, 00:51
Just found the huge bloody thread on the interviews applying etc bit telling all about CTC.

thanks though, I think I've got everything I need!