PDA

View Full Version : C208 accident in Mozambique

pointer41
30th Jun 2005, 14:28
Anyone have more info on the C208 accident, reported in Beeld, in the island Matemo. Apparently on landing the aircraft overturned, the photo shows 1 x stately bird reduced dramatically in market value. It belonged to Airserve according to the article. What happened?

warloc67
1st Jul 2005, 10:54
Pointer41,

Guess you flew Van's at 41 Sqd.;)

The 208 in question belongs to Air Serv, a US humanitarian orginization thus N registered.

Innitial reports said a steep approach and ran out of elevator on round our resulting in a hard landing on the nose wheel which decided that enough is enough, colapsed nose dug in and flipped.

Pax OK, PIC injured. The post accident fire did the rest.
:{

PS: It was a Grand Van.:ugh:

Tokoloshe
2nd Jul 2005, 21:13
The aircraft was N9324F that crashed in Moz. It was a C208A ser# 13 if I remember correctly and at one stage was the highest time 'Van in the world. It still flew straight as an arrow before it pranged.
It had just undergone an extensive refurb, gear mod, repaint, and fitted with TAWS about a month ago.
Fortunately no-one seriously hurt.
Sad end to a great airplane
:{

mini
3rd Jul 2005, 01:53
This would be Airserve's first accident, anyone got names of the crew? I have a mate driving for them. PM's if preferred.

pointer41
3rd Jul 2005, 11:38
warloc67, you are right that I fell in love with C208s at 41Sqd. Ever since, if I can lay my grubby paws on a Van I will fly it, as I am passionate about the aircraft. Which led me wondering what happened, but what you said makes sense, tragic as it may be.

All the best to the Van drivers out there!!!

warloc67
3rd Jul 2005, 12:29
Pointer41

I you want to fly the 208 in some interesting places let me know, always looking for some drivers.:}

Also, the SAAF old boys have to look after each other.:ok:

bush van
28th Jul 2005, 13:58
hi there
I must agree with pointer41. Van is a remarkable a/c, Nothing can do what a van can do.
Sad end to the van in question, Hope everybody onboard was ok.

goaround7
29th Jul 2005, 04:54
'This would be Airserve's first accident ' ...

Unless you check their records very carefully, that is. In which case you'll find that when all goes well, it's all an Airserv operation but this, like their other prangs (including a UH1 in Indonesia) will be carefully assigned somehow to some other organisation/individual and their squeaky clean image maintained...

Airserv seemed amazed that the organisation supplying a replacement 'Van did not permit their so called expert pilot to immediately start flying their aircraft and insisted on their own driver...duh !

'There's none so blind as those who will not see...'