PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand

Northern Skies
30th Jun 2005, 13:36
Hi everyone, I'm looking for information about general aviation in NZ.

I am a Canadian pilot, who is stuck in an industry with abysmal job prospects. It is nearly impossible here to build hours or work under adequate conditions because of a saturated job market. Also, the majority of jobs here are seasonal. The season ends here in October, and I will be looking for work.

Are there any prospects for charter/bush pilots in NZ? Are there many float operations? Ski/mountain flying? Sightseeing, etc? I really don't care, I'll fly anything.

What is the country's position on foreign pilots? Do you have any information about visas, etc? What would be required to convert my Canadian CPL and ratings?

Do you know of anyone I should contact ie. local pilots or anyone with good advice?

What I have to offer is a calm, professional pilot who is used to extremely hard work under difficult conditions. By the end of the season i'll have about 350TT, 200 on floats, and 100 hours of serious mountain flying.(not the most seasoned, but employable and safe) I'm not looking to get rich or anything, I just want to get this career going.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

p.s. I think your country rocks!

scatboy3
1st Jul 2005, 00:44
I think you'll find the saturated market is a global phenomenon.

belowMDA
1st Jul 2005, 01:13
The market is not saturated with people with actual commercial experience. If you have Air Transport time you are in a reasonable position. With your mountain flying and ski experience you may be able to find something around the Queenstown and Milford Sounds area. Unfortunately I do not know who you would be best to contact. Some research on the net may help.
For help with converting licences go to www.caa.govt.nz
Try to get as many hours in the mean time if you can.

Best of luck though.

flyby_kiwi
2nd Jul 2005, 00:19
Volcanic Air Safaris in Rotorua operate floates - C206's and an Otter.
Your problem will be immigration tho - while processing your visa application NZIS will ring an operator or two and ask the question "is there nobody else in NZ who will be able to do this job" - in a saturated market such as NZ the answer will be obvious.

The Cassidy Kid
3rd Jul 2005, 00:56
Also an operator in Te Anau running floatplanes? Wings over water or something like that?

I think the general idea with the south westland area is that you need to do a bit of time with the Wakatipu Aero Club/Air Wakatipu so that everyone knows you can actually drive an aeroplane okay.
I guess you could always ring them, old Tim Clarke, the CFI could probably let you know what the story is. The phone # at the aero club down there is +64 03 442 3148.

Cassidy

Reverseflowkeroburna
3rd Jul 2005, 01:51
What level of experience is making an applicant competitive for the likes of Origin Pacific, Air Nelson, Air NZ etc. these days? And all of those in between for that matter.

While licence conversion is fairly easily covered for us Aussies via the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act.........How does that transfer across to the crew rooms?? Is there a good rapport between the foreigners and the kiwis? Or are darts thrown at the backs of such individuals as they depart the flight deck??

Does anyone know to what degree working rights are reciprocated between Enzed & Oz?

PM me if any of you so prefer. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, RFKB :ok:

scatboy3
3rd Jul 2005, 06:11
God help us if you're Ozzie and you consider yourself foreign..........prepare the darts you are a target!
:uhoh:

masseygrad
3rd Jul 2005, 17:02
What I find interesting is that in a 'saturated job market' there are Kiwis flying GA in Canada and Canadians flying GA in NZ. Both countries require a prospective employer to prove that they advertised for and could not find a resident pilot before they can get a work permit for a foreign pilot, but there always seem to be ways to get around that rule. I've come across two Canadians who have worked in NZ, one was a floatplane pilot in Taupo. Having good float could well help a Candadian pilot get a job in NZ. The thing to remember though is that If your total time is at the low end of the spectrum and you actually have a job in GA, getting paid and building hours, then you are one of the luckier ones. It can also be seasonal in NZ and you might not find the terms and conditions any better there.

tinpis
3rd Jul 2005, 20:46
If any you kiwis reading this know of a Terry "Chook" Wilson gingerbeer last heard of in Southland would you PM me?
Ta.

Northern Skies
7th Jul 2005, 12:02
Thanks guys,

One of the ideas here is that most of the jobs are available only during the peak seasons. However, the Canadian winter is your summer, so this might be a way to flip back and forth, flying year-round.

I'll call that aero club sometime. Thanks for the number. hmmm...... where is the "+" sign on my phone........ just kidding

Any more information is greatly appreciated, especially about operators to talk to.

Cheers!