PDA

View Full Version : Please help if you can

The Invisible Man
4th Apr 2001, 15:51
If you can help iradicate cancer by downloading this programme please do. I dont think there are any pitfalls by running it. Thanks Guys

The Invisible Man
4th Apr 2001, 15:57
Whoops forgot the address. Its at www.ud.com (http://www.ud.com)
Stupid me!!!!

The Invisible Man
4th Apr 2001, 22:37
Wot no takers????
The project is being run by Oxford University and the following is an extract from their website.

"The goal is to enlist enough volunteers to contribute 24 million hours of computational time. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer"

JFD and Balti King, I'll set the dogs on you if you dont volunteer and buy you a beer if you do!!!

jetfueldrinker
4th Apr 2001, 23:48
Vodka and Red Bull please. And don't forget Moon, he is one of us too.

Coriolis
6th Apr 2001, 00:32
TIM,
Trying to help, but having probs downloading..I've emailed for assistance to UB but waiting response (lost a .dll file)
Any steers welcome - see email address
(signature not quite true this time!)

------------------
Ground tested, no fault found

The Invisible Man
6th Apr 2001, 01:06
Hi Coriolis,
Same happened to me on intial download. Still went ahead and completed the download and it works fine. I've completed two packets of research already, (well my PC has!!) without problem.
T.I.Man

Coriolis
14th Apr 2001, 01:08
T.I.M. (or anybody who can/will help)
I've downloaded this wretched prog over 10 times now with no joy - please will someone/anyone send me file
UDwin_1701_2423.DLL
'cos my 'pooter can't find it...destination folder would be handy too so's I know where to stick it! (answers pse on a postcard)
Otherwise I'm just going to raise another snag in the T/Log & slope off to the bar...... :mad:
Tks chaps

The Invisible Man
14th Apr 2001, 14:46
Hi Coriolis,
Sorry you're having problems. Suggest you go to the homepage (www.ud.com), go to, I think its contact us option, and there is techincal help form to fill in.
A few of the other forums I visit have started teams to increase their computing time. Would it be worth starting one for Engineers. I wonder how many downloaded this programme and are helping. I've got almost 4 days of CPU use. The record for one team is over "18 years" Give me your thoughts and I'll form a team if you thinks its worth it.
T.I.M.

time-ex
14th Apr 2001, 21:39
I downloaded it and was up and running in 10 minutes. My CPU has done over 5 days work now. Just a warning, when it finishes a batch of work it goes on line to send results and get a new batch. It hasn't shut itself down despite the internet options settings I have on my computer. This engineers group idea might be a nice idea but I for one would need pointing in the right direction.

[This message has been edited by time-ex (edited 14 April 2001).]

The Invisible Man
14th Apr 2001, 22:47
Hi Time Ex,

I'm going to ask the powers that be here if we can use their name for our group and if they want to throw it open to the 28000 members of Pprune. Will let you know the outcome and how to join the team.
T.I.M

time-ex
15th Apr 2001, 03:09
I am using Windows 98 2nd edition on a "Compaq 5476 Internet PC", it isn't anything special, I upgraded to Windows ME and it didn't like it, I reverted to Windows 98 Second Edition and it all seems to work fine again. The last time I posted I was touching wood because the UD task my PC had been given was stuck on 15% for over 4 hours and then it went to 50% within 4 hours. It must have been a tough one.
This is a great project, my ISP is Which and they have checked it out and given it the green light which is good enough for me. If you can support it please do.#
If Pprune as a whole could support it I think it would be up with Top 500 in no time.

Coriolis
18th Apr 2001, 00:04
Hi T.I.M.
I've tried UDs tech help site twice now with nil response, so I'm still not working (ops normal, some would say!)
Group approach a great idea methinks, provided failure percentage not too high (29000 like me wouldn't be a deal of use?)
Anybody got that missing file handy?
Luv, C.

------------------

The Invisible Man
18th Apr 2001, 00:23
Hi C,
I'll look for that file for you tonight. They are very busy at UD. Website advice is to be patient, they have had a massive response. No reply back from Ppune Admin so I've emailed Capt Pprune for help and advice.
Regs
T.I.M.

Coriolis
26th Apr 2001, 01:15
Hi T.I.M.(Wot no email?)
Sorry for the delay, (reason apparent below)

5 tear old Escom running Win 95 Mk1, 24 Mb RAM, 1Gb 98% full, now there's a clue....
Solution? Format C, chuck out trash, reload just the requireds, not the wish list, raise RAM to 40Mb, C drive now only 35% full.
Result UD downloaded, working like an engineer! Tks for help anyway (still no news from UD help, but now n/req 'cos we're smokin' http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif :) ;)

------------------

The Invisible Man
26th Apr 2001, 01:45
Hi Coriolis

I knew you could do it!!!! Had email back from the powers that be at Pprune and they cannot support at this time. To form a team we'd need at least 10 people to make it worthwhile. If I get 10 interested I'll form the team.
T.I.M