PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Flight Planning

2BNASty
30th Jun 2005, 06:21
HowdY all,

Im facing the dreaded Flight Planning exam in 3 weeks - I've studied my a*s off for about one month now (self study). Does anyone have any tips regarding final preperation, exam tips etc
A typical promblem I've faced is not using TAC's and therefor guessing the distances from Terminals to the first or second waypoints! (I know we can use dividers and Lat for distance)

Any advice is much appreciated.
cheers
2B

ps: thanks for advice re: AGK, I got through 1st go!:ok:

slice
30th Jun 2005, 07:02
Do the 5 mark questions first

Some questions may have irrelevant information

If you haven't already, get hold of the ATPL flight planning exam info booklet to see the tolerances, interpolations etc.

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/v2_2aeroplane.pdf

Bon chance!

g-lock69
30th Jun 2005, 09:18
Hi there 2BNasty,

U required some tips for ATPL Flight Planning?

The best tip I can give is to become a truck driver. Truck drivers don't have to plan flights because generally they're driven on the road.

The other tip I can give is to get an airline flight planner to sit the exam for you.

The last tip I could give would be $2

astroglide
30th Jun 2005, 11:44
passed with AFT by correspondence.

be prepared for some truly amazing/insightful feedback from the system-

a glimpse of my KDR.

*determine TAS and fuel flow.
*determine dp fuel.
*determine sector fuel burnt.

can you believe the top one? :8

utterly useless....

kicka330
30th Jun 2005, 12:21
Hey mate,

When I sat Flight Planning around this time last year you didn’t have to calculate those initial distances from major ports to the first waypoints. EG, ymml-CANTY on the H3. They would give them to you as part of the questions.

I found the 5 markers not to bad; all the Q's I got wrong were the 1-2 markers. (seemed to try and trick you more)

Use any short-cuts that you know, i found that it was close enough for the 5 mark questions, Probably need to be a little more accurate on the smaller questions.

Good luck!

...still single
30th Jun 2005, 13:32
Mate, with the big questions you can save heaps of time just by estimating SGRs -but it takes a bit of practise to estimate an SGR to the nearest decimal point. Work out some rules of thumb to adjust your SGR allowing for wind component, aircraft weight, abnormal configuration etc. MOST of the time, an estimate will put you close enough to the correct answer, but if you land between two answers, you can still do the full working without having lost much time.
Try combining sectors as well. Take your three (or however many) sector forecasts, weight them according to distance, and make up one average forecast to cover the whole route.
Bit tricky, but it when you do your practice questions it takes very little time to estimate a wind vector average and an SGR, then see how close you are after you work it out fully.
It worked for me anyway. I got all the big questions correct and had plenty of time to spare.