PDA

View Full Version : RAE Bedford

troioi01
16th May 2001, 08:52
Any ex RAE Bedford people out there ? I was an airframe engine apprentice there from 74-78 and wonder how many of you are still in the business.
Sad to say it is no more, best job I ever had and definitely the worst pay.

------------------
visit No 5 Ly tu Trong

Bosch
18th May 2001, 11:51
yes, there are lots of us still around, mainly working for Monarch and Brits at Luton now. I did my apprenticeship in '82-'86 were you still there then?

jetfueldrinker
18th May 2001, 12:39
I work with several people who are ex-RAE. They reckon that the work was interesting, but the pay was not up to industry standard. They left in the late 1980's when the writiing was on the wall. I did apply but the reason that I did not follow up a career there was because I did not fancy the commute from Banbury to Thurleigh. So instead I commuted from Banbury to Luton for slightly more pay.

Bosch
18th May 2001, 13:23
Are you still in the industry?

Bosch
18th May 2001, 20:23
yes jetfuel, I was one of those that saw the writing was on the wall. It was a shame as the place was one of the best to work for. the lure of the better money was also an incentive. I have been with Monarch since 1990 and drive daily from Rushden.

------------------
Bosch

[This message has been edited by Bosch (edited 19 May 2001).]

CRT
19th May 2001, 00:21
Hello troioi01 good to hear from you. Where have you been???. How is the beer out there? Have they got any Coors gold?. Never worked at RAE before but I've worked with you, I think. Drop me a line sometime.

Genghis the Engineer
19th May 2001, 21:12
I was a student Engineer at Farnborough, but subsequently did a short spell in the tunnel site at Bedford, circa 1990.

Still have my RAE tie too, to be worn whenever attending a meeting on any DERA site.

G

troioi01
20th May 2001, 15:10
Good to hear that some of us are still around.
I only did a year out of my time before moving on,Bosch, so I had gone by the time you were there. I spent most of my time in 3 Hangar on helicopters and the Harrier.
I am still in the business working for a small national carrier in SE Asia, Brunei to be exact.
CRT you have got me interested as I have not got a clue who you are.
You obviously were at Brits or maybe still are? If you can remember what I drink then you must be in the small circle of people who have bought me a drink.
I have not had a sip of that particular drink for almost 4 years.
Did you attend my leaving party at Chicago's ?
I really would like to hear from some of the people who went Bristows.

Bus429
20th May 2001, 17:21
Troi,
You must have gone on-line as soon as you got home from the hash!

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

jetfueldrinker
20th May 2001, 20:40
Troi

Did you leave Brits for Brunei If so, then I think I know who you are and say a big hello to you out there. Is S O'B settled in OK? And how is his cycling? I bet he is enjoying the heat and not missing the British rain.

troioi01
21st May 2001, 09:24
Hi Bus
How were the vegitarian dogs?
no more hashing for me, I can hardly walk.

troioi01
21st May 2001, 09:29
Hi Jetfuel'
It seems I have blown my cover,
S.O.B. sorry S O'B is fine, he recently won some sort of cycling trophy out here.
Troioi

jetfueldrinker
21st May 2001, 11:54
Hi Troi

Pleased to hear of S O'Bs success. But then I could never keep up with him. Pass on my regards; I think that my cover will be easily blown, most people at Brits guessed who I was very early on.

CRT
2nd Jun 2001, 00:50
Hello Troi
Didn't think that you would give up that easily. Come on you can guess, or should I give you some clues?. (Oasis)

CRT

troioi01
14th Jun 2001, 10:06
Are you based at Gatwick by any Chance ?