PDA

View Full Version : Private AWIB question

Blue Sky Baron
30th Jun 2005, 02:29
Is there anyone out there who has had any experience in setting up a private AWIB for a private airfield?

The idea is to be able to provide airfield conditions so that we can limit the number of aircraft 'overflying', thus reducing the noise footprint overhead and allowing aircraft to join downwind more often.

I am looking for details on what equipment is available, how much it costs and how to go about obtaining relevent permissions for frequency use.

Thanks in advance,

BSB :ok:

Atlas Shrugged
30th Jun 2005, 07:04
It's fairly difficult to install a private AWS. The BoM are usually involved in site selection, installation and commissioning and the costs are likely to be ongoing and economically prohibitive in terms of initial set up, maintenance, data monitoring and recording. You can try SSU at the Bureau of Met. who should be able to give you the information you need. Another thing to consider is the addition of an AWS extension to enable the data to be converted to voice for VHF broadcast or telephone access. A company called Seamist Pty Limited manufactures these (known as a WATIR). They may also be able to assist.

A

27/09
30th Jun 2005, 09:58
There are several AWIB's operated at private airfields in New Zealand. I don't know the details about where the gear came from but feel pretty sure that the cost cannot be to bad, especially knowing one airfield where one AWIB is located.

Aerodynamisist
2nd Jul 2005, 08:01
Some time ago I used a weather station called a "weather vox" which was activated by three clicks on a 40 ch uhf. I don't see any reason why the same system could not be puchased by an individual and rigged up to a 720 ch vhf. you might have to apply to airservices for a frequency though. The system recorded the met so we could down load it onto computer. From memory I thing the system cost around $1500 but that was 10 or 12 years ago now. Drop me a pm to chase it up further.