View Full Version : CAL July interview

7too7
29th Jun 2005, 18:24
Have been invited for end July. Wonderin if anybody alse on PPRUNe goin??
Used to teach english in Taiwan years ago so know all about them - despite all the ranting and raving agains CAL on this forum it would be a good move for me should I get a 747 right seat. Currenly on 727 in Africa and wanna get out. Any comments would be appreciated.

JTF
29th Jun 2005, 20:40
Are you typed in anything that they fly or are they starting to bring in guys without a type from their fleet? Good luck with the interview.

AAIGUY
29th Jun 2005, 23:51
I declined this past week. The offer was VERY weak. BUT if you are in the greater Lagos area, I would be keen on CAL.

fender
30th Jun 2005, 00:47
Yeh, go. Get your 747 R.H. seat endorsement, stay until you can't stand it anymore and then move on. It is the job you take while looking for a job.
We are basically all mercenaries these days. No love lost by either parties if you leave and don't worry, you will get in.
They are desperate like alot of other airlines,(No offence meant by that comment), but they would never make such a statement in fear of empowering the pilot community.
Imagine that, pilots working together for the good of other pilots..HAAhaahHHA...LMAO.... ROFL..

Fair.Pilot
5th Jul 2005, 13:10
Tips for the written test:

Study the FAA ATPL questions bank.

Good luck!

7too7
6th Jul 2005, 18:38
Thanks for tips. Been told I will be checked on 73-8 sim due to fact I fly narrow body. I am only really keen if they offer me a 747 position...Question to the guys in the know. Is it worth it to go for their cruise captain position- I understand it is the same as a cruise relief pilot - in other words no landings or take offs and limited rating. And should I get offered this will I eventually get a proper co pilot seat or not???

29chev
7th Jul 2005, 04:04
Hi 7too7,
The Cruise Capt position is actually a Sr. first officer job (read better pay than F/O) as the jr seat in the company is F/O......CC positions are usally F/o's with 2 years in and get the extra training to sit in the left seat in cruise and the right seat for take off and landings.....they do however get fewer t/o and landings than a regular f/o but are kept current ...which is at least one t/o and land per month...as a regular f/o on either the 340 or 744 you get 2-3.
Unless you are a Capt already it is unlikly you would be offered a CC job right away.
Hope this helps

7too7
12th Jul 2005, 20:46
Thanks 29chev that's good gen. I already spent some time in a 767 sitting as in flight relief and was not interested in any more of that middle of the night staring at screens and never getting any stick time. They interviewing 40 guys in July so obviously hoping for a big intake. Lets see what happens.....would be happy to get right seat and 74 rating - get the old career back on track...

skypine27
15th Jul 2005, 21:34
I've been offered interview dates in August. From the email I received, and the way I filled out the application, I presume it is for the 744 FO position.

I have read alot about them in this forum, however, I have been unable to find any info on payscales, work rules, etc.

Currently, I'm a furloughed pilot from a major US airline living in Chicago.

I'm just curious if this offer is better than some of the US job offers I have, as far as pay and work rules go.

Thanks for any info

IFR Pilot
16th Jul 2005, 16:18
skypine27,

CAL pay starts at 4600 US a month... You also get a perdium and living allowance if in TPE... It is a 5 yr contract initially, and the training bond is 3 yrs... You can get out of it, but you'd pay a 20,000 USD penalty prorated to when you leave, plus 2 months salary...

I did the interview recently, the people there are professional and very friendly, and I believe they've cleaned up their act since the negative things you've hear over the last few years...

Most initially seem to be going on the 744, but they can put you anywhere in the fleet... Sim evals are on the 744, or the 738 depending on availability...

Expats also get 8 days per months to leave TPE and return for next duty period... Hope it helps...
Cheers!

Deske1
16th Jul 2005, 18:36
One thing you forget;TAX!!!!

Basic:4600 usd
Per Diem: 2 usd/hour away from taipei
Housing:37.000 NTD (1 USD~31NTD)

AND each month 20% of tax is witheld by company.

No way to avoid it as they deduct automatically from anyone.

The 747-400 is guaranteed as I see.Lots of guys (30-40) has gone and 4 new 747 arrived in the last 7 month and more to come.

IFR Pilot
16th Jul 2005, 21:46
Yes you are right taxes, plus being from Canada I have a choice to either sell my house or pay huge additional taxes to the greedy pigs in Ottawa!

Overall I think CAL would be a good deal for expats compared to other airlines w/o a type rating, IF, you'd be willing to take your family into the pollution of TPE, or commute and be away and tired all the time...

On the other hand they pay you the $20,000 USD at the end of the 3 years that they hold back for the training bond...

Not a bad gig if you have an understanding family, single, or can get used to the street smells!

B737FO
17th Jul 2005, 05:16
skypine27,

Check your PMs.

stinkypizza
18th Jul 2005, 05:47
Hi guys

I have been reading a lot on the Asian situation. i have back tracked a few months and it dont sound too good in most opinions but at the same time some good opinions seem to be out there as well. I am an aussie hold an ATPL and am thinking of applying to some of the companies in that part of the world. Is it too pre-mature to apply with 2200 hours ( 2000 on Turbo Props) OTTERS, KING AIR, balanced in both command and FO. From opinions out there, am i a little pre-mature in experience to be applying for these positions. i would rather spend half an hour on this site than waste 3 weeks applying to companies that wont even sneeze on my CV. i am happy where i am and in no rush and i will not pay for a rating. I've spend enough already.
And what do you think is the general cut off age for Airlines in Asia these days. i want to stay in bush ops as long as viable as it is to much fun having aircraft sliping down the runway. i should mention i fly in PNG.

Ta..