PDA

View Full Version : Jet2.com at Newcastle

mrhosty
29th Jun 2005, 17:32
Recently started selling NCL-MJV, the timetable suggests it is not a W pattern, anybody know if they are opening a new base or just positioning MAN/LBA crew . . . .

Runway 31
29th Jun 2005, 17:34
possible use of the day stopping QC aircraft.

Robo's law
29th Jun 2005, 19:06
The crewing issues of NCL should be very interesting as both the Man and LBA crew rooms are currently rife with rumours and gossip of there being a flight crew exodus due to T&C's etc being very much more attractive elsewhere.

Nakata77
30th Jun 2005, 08:41
that route will never work. you watch, Jet2 will eithe rhave to commit to basing aircraft there or will just pull off later. They should really compete with easyJet because the market is too small

Op checked Satis
30th Jun 2005, 10:06
Almost certainly the QC CELA will be based at NCL when the arrival of the 757's at LBA will make it surplus to requirements

Maude Charlee
30th Jun 2005, 10:58
They would have to change the a/c at NCL, as the current day stopper is a pure freighter not a QC. The lack of windows should give that away. Can't see it happening as there is nowhere that the seating can be stored due to lack of hangerage. I expect they will have to position one in, or base a second a/c in addition to the freighter.

10 DME ARC
30th Jun 2005, 11:21
Tiss going to be the based mail a/c, will become a QC in September. As for hangerage well what about the empty Gill hanger?
:)

4Screwaircrew
30th Jun 2005, 11:29
Special temperature and humidity controled vehicles are used to store seats when the QC is flying mail, so lack of buildings at an airport is not an issue.

Homesick
30th Jun 2005, 13:07
Rumours in the company of a MJV base.

woptb
30th Jun 2005, 15:25
4screw temp & humidity controlled???? Your lucky if you can find 'one' where the lights work! The vehicles (purchased from Lufthansa) are over engineered,badly maintained & obsolete. Other than that they are perfect!

4Screwaircrew
30th Jun 2005, 15:50
wopt b, just quoteing the company line.

The system works ok with the original Lufthansa pallets (LP), but the Israeli conversion will not all fit in the 2 trucks, but as I said no need for a building

woptb
1st Jul 2005, 08:05
Apologies 4screw did not mean to mount the high horse!

4Screwaircrew
1st Jul 2005, 10:04
woptb, no problem if I could have got the smilies to work you would have seen I had a smile on my face:ok:

Maude Charlee
1st Jul 2005, 13:06
You still need somewhere to store the vehicle. As the airport keep cannibalising vehicle parking areas to turn them into aircraft stands, I suspect there is also a shortage of space for a vehicle/s capable of storing all the palletised seating required. Also, assuming the handling contract remains with Servisair (as for the mail flights), the timings coincide with one of the peak evening periods where there is already a chronic shortage of men and equipment and I doubt that any additional expenditure will be forthcoming to ensure that a full team, plus hi-lo loader, will be available for the period of time required to convert the a/c from pax to freighter. We shall see however. :hmm:

mmeteesside
1st Jul 2005, 16:42
The aircraft wouldn't have to be converted straight away would it?

The mail flight doesn't depart until around 2250, so they could start converting at 2000 when everything goes quiet and still have it ready!

mmeteesside

nclairportfan
2nd Jul 2005, 10:25
ANy chance of more routes from them? I would have thought that, with that schedule there was scope for at least one other short rotation within 2 hrs. Perhaps loco to AMS would be a good move!

Maude Charlee
2nd Jul 2005, 10:44
mmeteesside

We're being somewhat optimistic there I feel. Very rarely is there a full shift that goes to plan, with everything arriving/departing on time, and the time penalties on the freighter contract means that the handler will have to dedicate a full team to this flight regardless what is going on elsewhere purely to avoid heavy cost penalties. That just isn't going to happen, as the management have wildly unrealistic ideas about how the operation works because they spend so little time anywhere near it, and the ramp teams will be expected to squeeze this additional (significant) workload in with no additional resources.

It's a little like the recent disabling of airstairs on the Ezy fleet. Easyjet were assured that Servisair could cope with the need to provide 2 sets of steps on all a/c, even though it was a struggle to find 2 sets for the occassional a/c that needed them in the past. Needless to say, come the day of reckoning, no additional steps and so a/c sat on the tarmac with only one set available, and this problem made worse by any early/late arrivals also requiring steps.

Don't be holding your breath waiting for the resources for this one. :rolleyes:

HH6702
2nd Jul 2005, 16:17
Expect JET2.com to add TFS from newcastle in the coming weeks.

nclairportfan
2nd Jul 2005, 16:48
That would be very popular I'd imagine!

Maude Charlee
3rd Jul 2005, 13:53
airportfan

Are you the world's biggest optimist? Every route under the sun seems to be one you think would do well. :bored:

nclairportfan
3rd Jul 2005, 16:40
lol, well sun routes nearly always do well! I still had reservations about at EUJ when they announced their route!

Maude Charlee
4th Jul 2005, 18:45
Thank you for posting something different. My (limited) sanity is now restored. ;)