PDA

View Full Version : LHR today - what?

jerrystinger
29th Jun 2005, 16:51
Had a flight booked to ZRH this eve with BA. Informed of huge number of cancellations on domestic and European front, but not convinced of reason given as other European carriers operating normally. Anyone at LHR T1 or T4 will see the departure boards for BA flights with "Cancelled" and "Contact agent" on most flights. What is the problem this time???? Crew sickness?

Ray D'Avecta
29th Jun 2005, 16:59
My guess is that it's weather related.

Just came back from the west and flew over LHR.......weather radar was painting red for miles around.......and whilst overhead BPK, we hear a KLM flight being sent back to AMS cos LHR were not accepting any more traffic.

Just a guess..........

Hand Solo
29th Jun 2005, 17:09
Occasional thunderstorms over London town this afternoon. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

TopBunk
29th Jun 2005, 17:18
Interestingly, I was playing golf under the LHR approach from about 1300-1630 local, and there were large gaps in the landing traffic quite frequently. I'm talking of up to 5 minutes between landers at about 1400 local. Very unusual - thought for a while they'd switched to easterly ops, but do departures either. Then the landers re-commenced.

I suspect that LHR had looked at the wx and decided to stop all near European a/c they could resulting in a shortage of aircraft when the CB's cleared through to the north at about 1430.

The African Dude
29th Jun 2005, 17:32
Can't speak for the rest of Europe but I'm about 10 miles from ZRH and it's bloody miserable!! Wind, rain, apalling visibility, typhoons, you know. Well, ok, not that bad, but don't worry Jerry - you can't see the Alps today !! :ugh: