PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Airlines mechanics 24% payrise?

JetMender
14th May 2001, 21:31
A topic about Pilots pay rises (in News & Roumours forum) quotes from The Economist saying Northwest Airlines mechanics have just been given 24% pay rise with more to come. Anyone know how true this is? With the current worldwide shortage of Engineers, what chance of similar pay rises elsewhere? (probably no hope)!

Penn Doff
14th May 2001, 21:58
I believe that AA guy's have just had a large pay rise as well.

------------------
"please report further"

redtail
15th May 2001, 05:29
Check it out http://www.amfanow.org/AMT-Wage_Scales.htm . I moved to $33.50/hr/40 hour week this past Saturday. Feels pretty good after all this time.

Hopefully the other airlines will build from what we have achieved, as this will help us next time we go into negotiations. The pilots refer to this practice as "raising the house", one corner at a time.

Blacksheep
15th May 2001, 06:15
Meanwhile back in Europe the airworthiness regulations are being changed to ensure a continuing supply of cheap east european labour keeps the wage levels down. Mobility of labour? My licence will be recognised all over Europe? Sure it will, and so will everyone elses. They must really think we are stupid. Maybe we are?...

If there is a shortage of mechanics in the USA is it time to apply for a green card?

Through difficulties to the cinema

Mice
15th May 2001, 14:46
Ah Blacksheep, dream on. I expect you are educated, white, have job skills, and can speak the language of the country as well.

Not one of these attributes will get you anywhere near to a green card in the states these days.

We all wish!!

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

redtail
15th May 2001, 17:21
Tell you what, Blacksheep. You seem to be an intelligent individual and capable of persuasive arguements. Maybe we can try for adoption. Lord knows we can use some folks who can make it through door ways, around corners and can actually read (and understand) a maintenance manual.

The future of aviation ...... seems to be in need of a D-check.

morroccomole
16th May 2001, 17:49
Hey Jetmender; we just got 5.8% over the road and are currently looking for A/V types like you.Then again a warm office like yours plus trips to Paris every now and then probably compensates?

Diablo
23rd May 2001, 23:31
Redtail, so glad to hear you have finally got the contract sorted out. It is a move in the right direction for us all.

Blacksheep on the subject of visas, have a look at the flight international jobs page, Sierra say they will sort out your visas. The only problem is that they are valid for 3 years only (H1-B) but can be renewed. If you want to take the family, they have to apply for an H3 (pain, takes ages). The only other option is the ethnic diversity program. Which allows a number of entrants from countries that don't usually qualify via other methods. Nicknamed the lottery, only problem is if your from England, Scotland or Wales, you can't apply but if you're from Ulster fill your boots.

£50,000 a year (@$33.50 per) sounds great but I don't think they want to let us in on the party. Besides its only money and they can't make proper beer over there !!

redtail
24th May 2001, 04:45
You ain't just whistling Dixie about Stateside beer. (We aren't EVEN going to mention our five minute attention span culture and adolescent religious views.) Thank God for imports.

Now if all of you could get organized with a group that will represent your professional interests, y'all might be able to contribute generously the the "Help redtail drink a bottle of every Scotch that is older than his direct blood niece" fund, I will continue to think well of you all. (Mrs. redtail can't seem to understand the connection between aviation and alcohol.)

Any plans for a maintenance personel party in Phuket? I think I could buy the first round.