PDA

View Full Version : Oral exams

Carpass
21st Jul 2001, 21:43
Got an oral exam for a LWTR electrics in Irving on Jul 31st. Any top tips for exam technique please? Also, this will be for aircraft of MTWA < 5700kg. What will I need to do to convert it to a B2 licence. Many thanks.

KwikPhix
22nd Jul 2001, 02:13
I also had an Oral exam at IRV recently, first of all IMHO you've done the hard bit so don't panic it's just a two way chat,honest. I don't 'major' on electrics I must admit but for the other bits I would say Mod.13 no problem they are not going to ask you loads of stupid Q's it will be common sense stuff, Working to deadlines,under pressure,shift patterns, working conditions etc. For Mod.1 I would say you need to know AWN 3(most important), 10, 14 these as you will know are LAME bread and butter AWN's. What type of A/C do you work on and for who The examiner will know and may ask you Q's pertinent to your A/C and your work centre, lets face it thats where you are going to be certifying. I got the distinct impression after my Oral that it was as much of an attitude test as it was an excersise in knowledge retention. ie. Is this person one of us, Is he under-confident and liable to buckle under pressure from above and let something go that is unsafe, Is he over-confident and believes that he can do anything with his shiny new Qualification.I reckon they really want to know HOWyou think, more than What you think. I got a bit of a panic on during mine as for the first 10-15 mins the examiner had told me more than i had told him ! but they have got a canny way of getting what they want out of you, if they ask you something and you don't think you know the answer they will ask it in a different way later on maybe, but they will get it out of you. Above all else If you didn't have the right background they wouldn't have let you sit the written,they did, you passed, go and have a chat, Good luck & DON'T PANIC.

Bus429
22nd Jul 2001, 05:07
I had an nav/com oral with a guy from Irvine. Very practical questions and the guy was very interested in my career (no walkover, though).

He liked golf (but who doesn't in Scotland?)
:D :rolleyes:

Carpass
22nd Jul 2001, 19:19
Many thanks

Diablo
23rd Jul 2001, 21:59
Have a look at the British Midland rotor drive cover incident on the AAIB's web site. It is a very good example of how lots of small human factor incidents can combine to cause a major incident. Lots of good points to talk about.

I'm not sure but I read the new reg's as any section L licenses issued for aircraft below 5700 KG will not count towards a JAR66. But I may be wrong. The surveyor will be the one to ask. Or have a look at the SRG website, there are a few Q&A pages about JAR66 conversion. They may however be convertable to the light aircraft licenses (B3???) if they ever manage to agree on a structure for that one. Don't hold your breath though.

Keep your study simple. You have done all the in depth stuff on the written. As KP said it tends to relate more to how you intend to use your license if you get it. Attitude, SAFE, and a good general knowledge of your subject.

All the best and let us know how you got on.