PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Logbook

ukmike
29th Jun 2005, 08:34
Morning All,

I have recently been given a copy of a Royal Canadian Air Force WW2 Logbook by a friend, whose uncle served with the pilot in question. The logbook copy is the pilots and I said I would try and get some more info from him. To this end can anyone expand or clarify the details below.

The pilot in question seems to have begun flying in March 1942 on Single Engine Aircraft. Originally at RAF Grantham on the Magister, and then on the Stearman at a place named AAFTD Americus, Georgia. He then moves on to flying the Vultee at AAFTD Cochran Field, Macon, Georgia, in Nov 1942. Basic Multi Engine Training was done on the Beech AT10 at AAFAS Moody Field, Valdosta, Georgia.

Next came the Oxford in May 1943 at Beam Approach Training Flight at RAF Grantham. Next there are several entries for a 'link trainer' at RAF Harwell - is this the simulator of its time? He moves on to the Wellington OCU in Aug 1943 (Harwell?).

Following this is the Halifax in Nov 1943 (Ricall?). There is then an entry in the logbook of him being posted to 51 Sqn, flying his first operational mission to Berlin in Dec 1943 in the Halifax mk2. He carries on training and operational missions, operating over Berlin (twice) Stuttgart (twice), Le Mans, Augsburg and Magdeburg.

In March 1944 there is an entry for an operation over Stuttgart. It is his eigth operational sortie. Underneath in a different handwriting (possible written by my friends uncle?) is KIA with the date. I am assuming that this pilot and crew were shot down on their ninth op.

If anyone has any more info I`d be very grateful. I don`t know if the pilot was Canadian or whether he just had the logbook as he appears to have been at UK based Air Force units before he began flying training - for example ACRC London, ITW Scarborough (any ideas on abbreviations?), before moving to Canada and America for flying training and then back to the UK for advanced training.

I've deliberatly been a little vague on the details but if anyone wants to PM with specific questions I`ll get an answer to you.

Thanks in advance.

Gainesy
29th Jun 2005, 09:11
I think that ACRC is Air Crew Reception (or Recruitment?) Centre, and am fairly certain that ITW was Initial Training Wing (marching etc).

6foottanker
29th Jun 2005, 12:41
I'm sure if you contact any of his former Sqns (if they're still around like 51) or Sqn Associations, they'd be only too pleased to have copies of such a logbook for their histories.

SASless
29th Jun 2005, 13:05
Souther Field, Americus, Geogia

http://www.nearplainsgeorgia.com/SOUTHER_FIELD_AMERICUS/WWII/INDEX.htm

Cochran Field, Macon, Georgia

http://www.bt-13.org/wwii_squadrons.html

Axel-Flo
30th Jun 2005, 07:52
What was the Pilots name or for that matter any of the crew from the last entry? I live near the old Harwell field and can have a look in the church records as there is a war cemetry there with quite a number of aviators graves.

BEagle
30th Jun 2005, 08:00
If you are in the UK, I suggest you search for the Public Records Office at Kew and ask to look at the de-classified Form 540 for 51 Sqn of the period. It will detail the flights which took place with crew and target, as well as airframe.

It might be worth contacting the sqn direct to ask whether they hold the wartime F540s on the sqn (some do - thanks to 'flatiron' and his snese of history, we held ours on 35 Sqn) or whether they're at the Public Records Office.

November4
30th Jun 2005, 10:31
Try posting the question on the RAF Commands web site (http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID6&conf=DCConfID1)

They are very helpful and I have normally had an answer with in a day.

zhishengji751
30th Jun 2005, 13:40
ukMike,
I assume they were still in 51 Sqn for that op to Stuttgart, so it appears unlikely the pilot was RCAF, as records show the following:

1-2 March
76 Sqn Davies
76 Sqn Richard RCAF

15-16 March
51 Sqn Fell RAAF
51 Sqn Eno DSO DFC
76 Sqn Jones RCAF
420 Sqn McAdam RCAF
420 Sqn Calder RCAF
425 Sqn Kirk RCAF
427 Sqn Steeves RCAF
427 Sqn Milton RCAF (all pow)
429 Sqn Heimbecker RCAF
466 Sqn Wills RAAF (pows/evade)
466 Sqn Bond RAAF
578 Sqn Hill
578 Sqn Lerl RCAF
578 Sqn Lyon

I can provide a little more information if you pm which crew it was.

regards,
Greg