PDA

View Full Version : FOAS cancelled

ORAC
29th Jun 2005, 05:16
Flight International:

"The UK Defence procurement Agency FOAS integrated project team has been disbanded and a new Strategic UAV Equipment programme established to advance research into potential unmanned replacements for the GR4"......

BAE Systems chief executive Mike Turner says the MoD has within the last six months begun to review its attitude to bilateral co-operation on future activities in areas such as unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) development.

“The government could decide against US or national programmes, so there could be potential for European collaboration,” says Turner. “There is a huge lobby now within the MoD to go more European [and] I think we would be welcomed.”

Turner confirms the company has invested a “significant amount” of its own money in developing and testing advanced UAV technologies in support of future UK requirements. A partially MoD-funded demonstration effort dubbed Project Nightjar is testing materials, aerodynamics and systems for future unmanned vehicles, although the company declines to provide more details on its activities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Janes:

"The UK's high-profile Future Offensive Air System (FOAS) programme, a replacement for the Royal Air Force's (RAF's) Tornado GR.4 strike aircraft, has been scrapped after years of planning and concept evaluation to make way for a fundamentally different kind of project focused on a family of long-range, long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that will probably embrace the combat, reconnaissance and surveillance roles.

The UK Ministry of Defence's (MoD's) Strategic Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Experiment (SUAVE) will place the testing of UAV technologies - and probable procurement decisions stemming from it - at the centre of a wide-ranging plan to replace the capability currently vested in the Tornado. The Future Combat Air Capability (FCAC) programme, as the plan is known, will rely on 'legacy' programmes - platforms and weapons already in the inventory or on order - to fulfil the mandate originally laid down for FOAS. SUAVE, however, will add the final dimension to the 'force-mix' - placing a UAV and unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) capability at the centre of a gap that cannot be filled by manned combat aircraft and cruise missiles.

FOAS has drifted in the last five years, as it has struggled to establish a firm identity. "It was not well-enough defined and no one is prepared to take big-bang risks anymore," one analyst commented. "We don't need any more killing machines. There's a view that the needs of the army should be met first, with money invested in communications, body armour and technologies that cater to the soldier of the future. In the current climate [the UK military's commitment to Iraq and the war on terror], a big aircraft programme at this stage would simply have been shot down in flames."

McDuff
29th Jun 2005, 05:30
It does not surprise me. When I worked in MOD in 1996 I could not work out what we were doing trying to procure a system that had such long range. I was of course assuming that it would be manned. It seems to me that Typhoon's ground-attack capability will be sufficient, but complemented with long-range missiles.

Of course, we still have to get our Int and targeting processes right so that precision missiles are hitting worthwhile targets ...

moggiee
30th Jun 2005, 09:53
Can we now get JSF cancelled and spend the money on a VERY big pile of cruise missiles?

Fg Off Bloggs
30th Jun 2005, 13:37
What a good idea! Cancel JSF = Cancel carriers! Sound thinking and what a savings measure to boot!

Never thought the Navy had a need for much more than a couple of Fishery Protection vessels and a Hospital Ship anyway!

Hook! Hook! Hook!

Ian Corrigible
30th Jun 2005, 13:55
moggiee,

You could have brought a VERY large pile of cruise missiles with the amount of money spent on FOAS studies and mock-ups over the past decade. (I remember one particular mock-up whose bomb-bay would have made most B-52 crews feel inadequate.)

:hmm:

I/C

VitaminGee
30th Jun 2005, 13:56
Pliers! Pliers! Pliers!:E

VG

Aynayda Pizaqvick
30th Jun 2005, 16:44
UCAVs to replace GR4 - hell, they havent even automated the tube yet and that runs on rails (literally atleast)!