PDA

View Full Version : Hangar Planning Requirements

Earpiece
28th Jun 2005, 20:19
I have heard of this chap who has a Squirrel and occasionally wants to fly it from home. Realising that this asset is very precious he wants to be able to put it away at night when he has finished his flying.

Can anyone tell me the planning requirements/pitfalls and a recommendation for a suitable building to house this Squirrel?

The area is in the southern half of the UK, away from congestion, is in open farmland (mostly owned by this chap) and could therefore be a farm building!

Thanks in advance

Earpiece

"Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see and you will be nearer the truth!"

Helinut
28th Jun 2005, 21:16
My practical suggestion is build a barn with hard standing out the front to allow you to manoeuvre a tractor and trailer into the barn

vivadavinci
28th Jun 2005, 21:28
yup, definitely best to build a barn rather than a hangar.

hey might even get a grant!

slowrotor
28th Jun 2005, 21:33
A heated hangar is best to control moisture. An open barn may keep off the rain but moisture will still condense on cool surfaces in a barn. It may be worse in a barn if the inside temperature stays a little cooler inside as it usually is. Tarp covers may work as well or better because the temp stays above the dew point better. Just my thoughts.

Thomas coupling
28th Jun 2005, 22:08
Underground bunker with hydraulic helipad.

Climate control a must.

A surrounding concrete barrier (again on vertical rams, would encase the helo as it starts up, reducing the noise signature and keeping his neighbours 5 miles away from complaining. These would of course retract below the helipad with 2 clicks on the radio ready for launch.

Of course he would need IRCCTV dotted around the launch pad.

A fully automatic fire suppresion facility could be installed from say 4 towers which have cannons mounted on top, each with AFFF, Co2, powder, Halon extinguishants. He could select a different frequency for each of the relevant chemicals.

Remote lighting from air to ground for night ops with a neon strobe as a homing beacon. Better still if he owns so much land, he could instal a row of flashing strobes leading from say two miles out, right down to the hydraulic helipad platform.

A VOR and ILS could then be his project for year two!

I think Buckinghampshire county council are the only authority to allow purple flashing neons strobes though?

Hope this helps.

Or - stick squirrel in barn, burn barn down claim off insurance and buy a decent helo.

bladewashout
29th Jun 2005, 09:33
Try not to fly from home before you get the barn built, and apply for a general use barn for storage.

Stick the helicopter in it later, hopefully with a load of other stuff in a compartment next door.

If you apply for a hanger, it is more likely to get turned down.

Try Robinsons Agricultural buildings. They will build to specification and do groundwork/construction.

www.robinsonbuildings.com

BW

EESDL
29th Jun 2005, 11:42
Cover said barn in straw bales........................

md 600 driver
29th Jun 2005, 15:24
i have a building i had constructed to use a a stable at one end and a large store at the other end with a 40 ft wide door my local authority said it did not need planning perm as it was a permitted planning rights building its some thing to do with the height of the building [not over 4.5 mrs ] and within the curtilage of my property
incedently i live now in what was the barn

steve

aeromys
29th Jun 2005, 17:54
The "build a hangar and call it a barn" certainly worked for one major police air support unit.....

Is there still a bale of hay in that southern hanger? :E :E

Earpiece
3rd Jul 2005, 19:47
Dear All,

Sorry, been listening elsewhere but thank you for your constructive (well nearly) replies.

Thomas, I assume that you recommend all of these gismos so that the building will draw attention to itself and you will have something to do, well look at - other than pprune that is - although I am afraid it is not too adjacent to North Wales. But thanks anyway.

Any other advice would be (well might be) gratefully received.

Earpiece

"believe nothing you hear etc etc etc..."

muffin
3rd Jul 2005, 20:10
A friend of mine put in a planning application for a helicopter hangar and said it was the worst thing he ever did. He was besieged by local press and even ITV News wanting to know if he was a pop star or reclusive millionaire. He got the permission in the end but it took 18 months and 3 re-applications. He lives on a farm and could have put up an agricultural storage shed with big doors without even asking.