PDA

View Full Version : pilot questions

JTschweitzer
28th Jun 2005, 19:44
Hello

Im an aviation student who is hoping to get into flying for major airline someday, and i just had some various questions for a real-world airline pilot. I was wondering if any of you captains and f/o's could answer some of these?

1. Is it more likely to get a job with the cargo carriers, i.e. fedex, ups, than it is with the larger operators such as united?

2. what subjects should i be focusing on in school that would be useful?

3. What does it take to get certified on a particular aircraft?

4. When flying, at what point is the AP engaged? do you fly the airplane manually until you reach cruising altitude, or do you engage the VNAV right after takeoff, and disengage on final
approach? what parts of flight are done manually?

5. What are some aviation colleges that look good on a resume for applying to a major airline?

6. How many days out of a month are most pilots working, and how many days are they home?

7. (this one's optional :-) Could you give me a step-by-step description of a day/week in the life of an airline captain?

Thanks for your time.

JT Schweitzer
Colorado Springs, CO

G-SP0T
29th Jun 2005, 20:26
ill try to ans some of your questions.

Getting a job after trainning can be a bit hit or miss! Most people take the first one offered!!!

Maths, physics, english, all the normal stuff u here about. trying and get the best grades possible.

the AP engagement depends on the type of ac and the operator. but some ac can fly them self from inital climb to ground role (jar question!), but from a HP point of view, it is recomended not to use too much automation - not sure if this happens or not!

Going to the right school can make all the differance, but be warned, just because they promise you a job doesnt make them the best trainer (im sure this will be argued!)

Im affraid i cant tell you about a day in ther life...as im still training!!

Best of luck!

keeno
2nd Jul 2005, 11:37
JT,

Hey, im an FO for a european airline based in the UK. In answer to your questions....

It doesnt matter who you apply to for a job, it is hard work to get into any airline, you will have to be prepared to get alot of rejections before you finally get a job.

with the AP, it all depends....normally most major airlines will want the AP to go in as soon as you can use it, for instance, in my airline, the AP is certified for use above 400ft and down to 50ft on the approach, or 200ft if doing a CAT II landing. If its a lovely sunny day and great visibilty, i will hand fly the plane to cruising altitude, but on bad weather days, you want the AP to be in from about 1000ft. this frees your mental capacity to cope with any failures.....flying the plane alone will take 50% of your capacity away...

I know this doesnt answer all your questions, but up against time to write, but i hope these little words of advice help.