PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Uzbekistan

EGBKFLYER
28th Jun 2005, 15:11
Can anyone offer some pearls of wisdom? I've got to go to Tashkent in August and would appreciate advice on the following:

BMed or Uzbek Airlines - which is best (I realise this may be a daft question but I'll ask it anyhow)?
Does anyone else fly UK to Tashkent?
Anyone know about the quality etc of flights from Tashkent to Sammarkand?
Any tips for getting through formalities in TAS - have heard it's "fun"...

Thanks

5711N0205W
29th Jun 2005, 11:24
Have been to Baku a couple of times with BMED, found them to be a friendly lot.

I know nothing about Uzbek but to draw a parallel you would not willingly get me on Azerbaijan Airlines when BMED are there.

EGBKFLYER
29th Jun 2005, 11:38
Thanks very much - I get your drift on the choice of airline!

chippy63
1st Jul 2005, 11:46
Definitely take BMed. You might look at driving from Tas to Sam.

rsoman
4th Jul 2005, 11:57
In 1993, Indian Airlines had a pilot strike, and to break the strike, the airline wetleased a few TU154s from Uzbekistan Airlines along with the operating crew. The crew of one such flightoperating HYD -DEL were informed by ATC at DEL, to divert to AMD, since the weather was below minima for landing. The pilots went ahead with the landing instead, broke up the tail, and finally plane came to rest upside down. The aircraft then caught fire and was destroyed, but fortunately everyone on board managed to escape, although about six pax had major injuries.

The Indian inquiry cited the cause as being due to

1 Failure of PIC to divert despite being advised weather was below minima

2 The request of the flight crew to "switch on landing lights at a height of only about 10 metres, resulting in the loss of all visual references due to the blinding effect of light reflections from fog"

3 "Failure of the crew to carry out a missed approach when visual reference to the runway was lost".

(Full details from the DGCA accident summaries of 1993 at www.dgca.nic.in).

Cheerio

flash8
6th Jul 2005, 18:32
Uzbekistan have a superb reputation. They have a modern Western Fleet Boeing 767/757's, A310's and RJ-85's (not even sure they have the 154's anymore).

I have had the opportunity to meet some of their pilots, and were deeply impressed by their skills.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you try them.

They also have one of the best maintenance bases in Central Asia. Does JAR 145 ring any bells? I believe they can even do D checks now...

The Country might be going downhill but not surprisingly Karimov lavishes money on his pride and joy.

Don't think... Uzbekistan.. they must be bad... it's good you even asked... many wouldn't even think to.

Happy flying!