PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Birdstrike Today

A300Man-2005
28th Jun 2005, 14:53
For those interested to know:

Crew of an A332, just departed from HYD, returned for an emergency landing after a suspected birdstrike on take off. Superbly handled by the pilots, by all accounts. Damaged fan blades were identified when the aircraft returned to HYD.

Just another day at the office, I guess.......

Glorified Donkey
28th Jun 2005, 17:26
Good to hear everyone is ok and not surprised it was handled so well, afterall it is Emirates we're talking about.

puff m'call
29th Jun 2005, 07:23
It's never as easy as that in Emirates I can assure you, the company will now be looking at every step the crew took during the whole procedure and looking for fault! the next step will be the crew in the office for a huge "bollocking", and not a word of thanks or praise for a great job done.

So we will take time here to say: " Well done guys"

rsoman
29th Jun 2005, 08:04
Superbly handled by the pilots, by all accounts

The Times of India , Hyderabad edition has an interesting version.

HYDERABAD: Another aircraft taking off from the Hyderabad airport at Begumpet suffered a bird-hit on Tuesday, barely five days after an Indian Airlines flight to Sharjah had to make an emergency landing after a bird got sucked into its engine.

A Dubai-bound Emirates aircraft took a bird-hit after taking off from the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at 10.40 am on Tuesday morning but the pilot decided to proceed with the flight.

He was forced to prepare for an emergency landing in Mumbai but was refused permission due to unfavourable weather conditions there. With no other go, the crew turned the flight back to Hyderabad and landed 50 minutes after taking off from the same airport.

There were 188 passengers on board, including the crew.

As in last week's incident in which a Sharjah-bound Airbus-320 suffered a bird-hit, a bird reportedly got sucked into an engine of the Emirates Airbus A330 and the blades of the engine reportedly got damaged.

According to airport sources, the pilot was informed by air traffic control about the bird-hit soon after takeoff but he decided to proceed with the flight.

He was forced to prepare for an emergency landing in Mumbai but was refused permission due to unfavourable weather conditions there. With no other go, the crew turned the flight back to Hyderabad and landed 50 minutes after taking off from the same airport.

It was only when he felt that the aircraft needed to make an emergency landing that he weighed the option of landing in Mumbai.

When Mumbai ATC informed pilot that it would not be possible to land there, the pilot turned the aircraft back to Hyderabad.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1154984.cms[/URL]

helen-damnation
29th Jun 2005, 15:56
Oh..... but we can only wish for a 4 engine aircraft:ok: :ok: :ok:

KunnDize
29th Jun 2005, 16:16
.......like the A340-300, for example. :rolleyes:

picu
29th Jun 2005, 16:16
You'd think a newspaper like the Times of India would consult with an aviation expert before publishing the article.
Love the bit where it says that the pilot was informed about the birdstrike by ATC...........:yuk:

White Knight
29th Jun 2005, 19:59
KD - what's your problem with the 340-300. So far I haven't met a single 340 pilot that doesn't actually enjoy flying it:)

Besides, without it I doubt very much if there'd have been any profit share this last year:} :}

As to the thread, good to see that ATC are once again telling the crew what to do, and when...:yuk: :mad: :mad: :yuk: F*****t journos:yuk:

ruserious
30th Jun 2005, 11:18
By all accounts they had a reading of 10 on the N1 vibration. I guess they might just have noticed that without ATC's help :D

BigGeordie
30th Jun 2005, 13:29
With a vibration reading of 10 they probably didn't need to look at the gauge either!

picu
30th Jun 2005, 15:11
Ah, now I get it. When they spoke to ATC the 10 units of N1 vibration caused their voices to be distorted. This was obviously picked up by the ATCO who suggested a birdstrike as a plausible reason. Only then was everything clear to the crew.....
Just in case any ATCOs are reading this, I'm not making fun of you - I'm just taking the mickey out of the Times of India.:O

A300Man-2005
8th Jul 2005, 13:39
EK diverted two more aircraft yesterday, into Turkey. The first was ops VIE/DXB, and declared a PAN due engine failure. The second was a flight ops from UK to Dubai, which made an unscheduled landing to pick up the pax who were delayed on the previous flight that had an engine problem.

Good thinking EK!! :ok: