PDA

View Full Version : Contract Work in US

JetFixer
17th Jul 2001, 23:58
Ive tried this one before, without much success. Now that there are more people reading this forum here goes again.

Has anyone got any experience of contract work in the US, I am particularly interested in replies from non US citizens. But the contributions of US citizens are also welcome.

I know a couple of Mexican mechanics who have done a lot of contract work there, but when I call up the agencies they quoted me, they won't entertain employing a Brit and say that they don't help people with work permits.

The money may not be as good as in Europe but I sure it would be a nice diversion to live in the states for a year or so.

mainwheel
19th Jul 2001, 17:33
Perfect place to ask!I would be interested in same.I made enquiries years ago and alot of red tape to do it legally.Gave up in frustration.
Light at the end of a tunnel?

spannersatcx
22nd Jul 2001, 23:11
First thing you will need is a green card as without that you won't be allowed to work.

prunehead
23rd Jul 2001, 19:40
Try Aus instead.

Our government and employers seem to like hiring offshore more than they like hiring domestically, providing rediculous concessions to offshore engineers to come here.

Whilst or exchange rate is lousy at the moment, AUS has better quality of life than anywhere I have travelled to (and thats most places), so don't discount it!! :)

aeroguru
25th Jul 2001, 18:09
Green card phooey!Having just read an article in USA to-day on the numbers of illegal immigrants working at all levels and disciplines in the US, I can't believe that aviation is any different.
Have to agree though that Aus would be better.Missed many chances to go years ago and now I'm an old fart who they would not want.Worked with many Aus lames in the far east.Very good blokes but annoyingly good at sports!