PDA

View Full Version : Esso Jobs

gettinwiser
28th Jun 2005, 12:43
Hey out there.

Any ideas about what is going on down there at the Bass Strait?
ESSO have not advertised for years have they?

Was there not a contractor handling this job who has been pumping pilots into this?

The job once had a reputation for being the nicest in the country.
Someone must know.

talklimited
28th Jun 2005, 19:35
I know the HA captains were not happy with their lot, being employed by HA whilst other captains were employed directly by Esso and getting a better deal. There has been a turnover not usually seen before down under there, and rumored that Esso not too happy with the contractor. This may well be an exercise to allow the contract pilots apply for staff positions in order to stop the bickering with two different pay schemes for the same job. Some retirements coming up next year I hear.

gettinwiser
1st Jul 2005, 12:12
Why have so many people left though.

If its such a great place to live and work, (as the ad says) then surely people would stay longer?

I dunno its got that fishy smell about it.

Should I drop in a line and see what latches on?

gettinwiser
3rd Jul 2005, 12:53
Thanks for the info talklimited, sounds like you have some connections. A little birdie also told me that the gravy train is lookin leaner and meaner, and that the conditions are not going to be as sweet as before.

Its a brave new world.

pjtickn
6th Jul 2005, 05:21
Three years ago, Esso decided to trial outsourcing of new pilots to a contractor. While the contractor lived up to its charge, perceived parity and other issues resulted in a well publicized high pilot turnover with its attendant training liability and "people" costs.

Consequently, a decision has been made to return to the days of yore, a stable, high calibre core of Esso staff captains with the contractor supplying copilots who can qualify for entry into an ICUS programme that has various outcomes depending on the individual.

A number of large projects have been signed off on for Bass Strait over the next 10 years including development of the Kipper Gas Field, hence the recruitment drive. Esso operates a fleet of six identical, glass cockpit DAFCS S76C. Size of the patch and nature of the schedule dictate that scheduled flights are conducted day VFR. All flights offshore at night or emergency flights in poor weather are conducted IFR. To that end, full IFR and night recency is maintained at all times. Operations and tarmac staff attend to flight planning and aircraft preparation. Maintenance operates in two shifts with deep level expertise on the S76.

Aspects of the job are:

- sleeping in your own bed every night
- superbly maintained, modern aircraft
- excellent pay and conditions
- not being at the mercy of the next contract, the ATO, or the currency exchange rate
- dedicated SAR aircraft and crew
- regular trips to Flight Safety for sim training
- state of the art in house synthetic trainer
- 650 hours per annum on a good roster
- benefits of working for a giant multi national

If you make the grade, IMHO these are still the best jobs out there.

Who am I? As I registered before I realised you could not change your user name, I am a Check and Training captain with Esso, five years with the company so I guess that narrows me down to one.

I would also point out that these are my views and do not necessarily reflect company views or policy.

cheers

PT

giveitsome
6th Jul 2005, 07:51
PT Check your PM's.

GIS

:ok:

related post at this link............

ESSO Recruitment (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179764)

slowlane
8th Jul 2005, 02:02
What happened to the other post about the "Three Amigo's"? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or was it :mad: for being too close to the truth? :confused: :confused: :confused:

76C+
8th Jul 2005, 16:28
pjtickn: Any details on how & where I could apply?

giveitsome
9th Jul 2005, 10:38
[b]76C+[b/]

PT is on some hols at present. Go to the following link and click on jobs.

AFAP Website (http://www.afap.org.au/)

Good Luck. News from all is no TYRE KICKERS!!!!

GIS

:p

Blade Tab
10th Jul 2005, 00:17
Esso is a good place to work as long as you tow the party line and don't rub the Senior C+T guy up the wrong way as some of the three amigos did before they went back to the Blackhawks.
There are some top blokes down at Esso and most players will learn a great deal from some of the older hands and also some of the newer ones like PT and Dingo.
If you just do your job and steer well clear of any politics there shouldn't be too many dramas. The job can be repetitive with no real chance to break the bungy cord which always brings you back to Longford base, but hey thats the offshore game that we play.
There is a new pay and conditions agreement going through for contract guys at the moment and when that gets sorted I think some of the angst will disipate.
The machines are TOP NOTCH, the engineering staff really know there stuff and work with a lot of pride.
I don't work there now but I'd certainly go back when its time to settle down a bit more. Overall, if you've got the hours in the book, the ticks in the boxes and you want to settle down into what is a fairly routine but not mundane job then give them a call.
:ok:

whosthatS76pilot
13th Jul 2005, 08:45
Some facts:

there have been 7 voluntary resignations since late last year, all relative newcomers to Esso
10 hour duty day standard
lot of flying, 650+ hours a year
captains 14 day roster is usually 8 work days, 2 night standby and 4 off
it is all day VFR, IFR is only for rare night call outs and currency only.
sar/hoist is annual currency or emergency only.
very good aircraft
like anywhere it is not without its problems or politics
sale is a small town and not for everyone

just facts nothing else, from a reliable source

warrantycruise
13th Jul 2005, 11:32
Fellow Rotorheads, some additional facts from another reliable source.

Th 7 resignations in the last 8-10 months were all from HA employees. The recent advertisement was for ESSO Staff Captain positions. The renumeration packages are likely to be different.

The Captain roster, 14 days, is normally divided into 7 days flying the line, 3 days night standby and 4 days off. Recent variations to this established patern have been the result of staff constraints that will be resolved with the current Captain recruitment process.

The 6 x S76C aircraft are extremely well presented and maintained; industry and world's best practice certainly applies to the maintenance engineering standards. Applicants fortunate enough to be interviewed will see this first hand.

Make no mistake folks, when the door closes behind the last Staff Captain employed, it will remain that way for quite some time. The rumoured package, yet to be confirmed by management, will be too good to leave.

As whosthats76driver said, Sale is a small town that is not for everyone. Notwithstanding, it has good sporting and recreational facilities, is close to beaches, mountains, snowfields, lakes and only 2 -3 hours from the cultural capital of Australia.

Regards Warrantycruise

boundary layer
13th Jul 2005, 23:17
Always suspicious of folks trying to "SELL" the dream to such an extent. If the job was as good as all say, why then does it require such elaboration. Surely if something is good, people will find that out and the legend will spread. It then becomes a known.

It seems there are too many internal squabbles over contract Captains vs employee Captains and comments like

Make no mistake folks, when the door closes behind the last Staff Captain employed, it will remain that way for quite some time. The rumoured package, yet to be confirmed by management, will be too good to leave.

Really what are you trying to say, there will never be any internal movement or staff turnover forever???, Is the package so good that no one will leave? Pilots are gypsies my friend and while the pasture tastes better elsewhere, there will always be movement. Not sure if the package is competitive when you compare the $$$ to Bristows etc.

Keep up the sales pitch!!!!!! (are you management or an aviator?)

BL

:{

boundary layer
13th Jul 2005, 23:44
ZEB

Good Effort. You would be the exception, rather than the rule.

BL.

:O

pjtickn
13th Jul 2005, 23:58
B/L,

I am an aviator, in the company.

The internal squabbles between contract and staff employees that you refer to is exactly the issue that is being addressed by this policy change.

If you regard the history of the Longford heliport, long term, stable employees has been the goal which is why we have recently retired the second last of our respected Vietnam vets with 20 - 30 years in the company, 20,000 hrs + in the patch. They have had the "golden handcuffs" on, so to speak.

Zebedee is absolutely correct, not all pilots are wanderers. Esso is not for everyone but if you want to settle down and grow some roots, feel safe, and have a career, it would be hard to beat.

And yes, you can earn more money, if you are appropriately qualified. That would involve living half your life in West Africa, worrying about Tax Office policy and the currency exchange rate, and that is not appealing to those of us who prefer fixed base employment.

regards,

PT

Makila
14th Jul 2005, 09:02
PJ

Bristow Aus & CHC Aus both have
25 year+ longterm stable employees
who have never had to work overseas
to earn tax free money.

Just remember they work two & two
with four weeks annual leave, and fly
around 300 hrs a year. And in CHC's
case can choose which Australian city
they would like to be based in.
It can be argued that being home
every night is important, but if your
wife hates Sale(many have,former &
present) then touring doesn't look so
bad living in your familys home town.

A recent EBA has increased one companys pilot salarys up by 25%.

Both companys have structured
command progression for F/O's, and
no pilot supply contract issues.

There is added variety with Australia
wide contracts, aircraft ferrys, different
scenery and the choice for secondment
to overseas operations, unlike Esso.

Theres is no doubt that Esso is a safe
stable job, but others can offer
different career paths which makes
this business all the more interesting!!

pjtickn
14th Jul 2005, 09:39
Makila,

Perfectly stated. Horses for courses and all that.
If touring and variety suits you, then Bristow and CHC are the big two.

For those of us who have had all the excitement that we can bear, Esso is perfect. There is something very proper and gentile in my mind where you can whip the gear up, plug in the autopilots and get carted around the patch by a machine who can fly better than you.

We are helicopter airlines essentially with departure lounge, boarding passes, no hosties unfortunately. Doesn't suit us all.

The main reason for my posts is to put the straight info out and assuage this odd suspicion that seems to accompany such topics.

cheers

PJT

Joker's Wild
14th Jul 2005, 11:30
pjtickn,

Check your pm's.

warrantycruise
14th Jul 2005, 11:37
:cool:

Fellow Rotorheads

My last post was my first and this is likely to be my last on this thread. My aim is/was not to sell the job, apply or give it a miss BL, I couldn't care less. I not giving up my seat for you.
There are however a large number of pilots, check out the hits on ESSO Jobs, that are keenly interested in what is happening at Longford. These people would like to navigate their way through the vitriolic verbiage and rheumatic rumours to discover the facts.

All are/were welcome to apply including ex Co-pilots and contract Captains. There are perhaps 2-3 exceptions to that statement; no prizes for correct guesses here.

If you have thrown that line in gettinwiser, I hope you have enough bait on your hook. You never know, the world's largest oil company just might latch on.

Regards 98%
:cool:

Chamonix
19th Jul 2005, 03:50
Anyone have any info they would like to share on the conditions Cojo's 'enjoy' within the Esso/HA ranks down in Sale at the moment?

gettinwiser
21st Jul 2005, 12:27
Well there's been a lot of chattin now but what is actually goin on? The application date has come and gone but no one seems to have any idea of who, when and for how much.

I hear that it is not only HA people who have gone in the last few years, but ESSO employees too. Some have retired, but just as many have apparently gone to greener pastures.

So how good is it really?

I hear too that some of what is claimed respective the conditions and policies is a little porky around the edges.

There are some interesting facts/comments flingin around.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Wiser

pjtickn
22nd Jul 2005, 00:55
Gettinwiser

Moot point now as applications have closed.

Had you applied and/or been selected for interview, you would have been given some of the information that you seek.

As with all professional positions, start dates, pay and conditions are discussed with successful applicants.

PT

slowlane
22nd Jul 2005, 05:07
Gettinwiser,

PT correctly points out that those who applied know what's going on. You didn't so you don't!

Why do you care?

gettinwiser
29th Jul 2005, 09:50
SLOWLANE,

I did, I was, they have, but we still don't!?!??

Work it out!

Wiser

:confused:

trapezoid
29th Jul 2005, 10:11
Wiser??

If you really did apply....and they really do want to interview you....and they do work it out, then you are being rather foolish aren't you.

gettinwiser
2nd Aug 2005, 02:26
Just looking for facts, we have the right to ask.

Foolish is the one who sets up for a big move and finds out too late, that all is not as it seems. (That has happened to others)

The grass is a comfortable green where I am, at my age the devil is in the detail when it comes to exploring greener pastures.

The nasties in some postings kinda sparks the interest, but has also brought out some valuable information. Thanks to all!

Wiser

gadgetguru
2nd Aug 2005, 02:55
a foolish man learns from his own mistakes....
...a wiser man learns from anothers

trapezoid
13th Oct 2005, 08:11
Rumour has it that the ESSO job offers are about to hit the street and that the deal is pretty good.

Anyone care to confirm or deny?

TZ

last third
15th Oct 2005, 07:46
come on dudes, whats the go!!!

HA finally dropped as management of the capability never really occurred and turn over rates were way too high.

As long as their is parity and equity b/w old esso jumpers and new esso jumpers, the flow should slow!!!!

;)