PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 Shot at in Sudan

Renaissance
28th Jun 2005, 09:07
A Dash 8 belonging to Trident enterprises was shot at two days ago while descending into Nyala in Western Sudan. No one was hurt thankfully.

Are we really paid enough?

I have pics. Don't know how to post tho.....

ChiefT
28th Jun 2005, 09:50
Would like to reciev a copy of the pics, if possible:

[email protected]

Thanks!

captee
28th Jun 2005, 15:51
we were decendin through 12 thousand feet and our windshield shattered but it didt colapse they say a bullet cant be effective at that altitude but i beg ti differ the ground level in the area is about 1200 feet average . i took pics of the windshield put cant post them at the moment...... question is how high can an aircraft fly an be safe from bullets and all???.....

406pilot
28th Jun 2005, 16:23
hmm it a bit puzzling your right abt that..

please tell us more abt the make of plane,was the window heat installed/workin and wht part of africa were u descending into....did u get a hole or did the glass/plexi shatter?

he he sounds like a story from "air america-the movie...

still lucky to be here and telling the tell buddy..

keep it up there fellows...

no more 406pilot

406pilot
28th Jun 2005, 16:27
hi there big k

need info on the captain of the dash 8 i know of someone who almost shared the cockpit with me in a dash8 u know where who was rumoured to be flying in that area...

you know the email go ahead make our day...

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

captee
28th Jun 2005, 16:33
are western sudan type DHC 8 100. windshield heat and all were on and the hole was discovered between the windshield and the fuselarge

Woof etc
28th Jun 2005, 16:38
I nt sure i b understd u gys. I thnk kno wht ure mean but then could be tht is not. u sure zz Englss or cld be tht I fam klsadfm kkl jkl lkjalkjlk klkj

SASless
28th Jun 2005, 17:00
If you say you were about 10,800 AGL (12,000 less 1200 msl ground elevation)....it would have to be at least 20mm or larger.

.50-.51 caliber reaches about 5800 feet from what I recall....even a 20-23mm would have trouble I would think.

Trouble with the bigger rounds....they tend to be HE rounds....that go bang upon impact and thus it would do more than shatter the windy....

Any other thoughts guys?

SA Fred
28th Jun 2005, 18:17
The aircraft was struck on top therefore the bullet was on it's way down, or it was fired from above, or it wasn't a bullet. There's about a 2cm long gash in the seal above the windscreen (about the size a 7.62 would make on its side).

I guess they'll recover whatever object made the hole (if it was an object) when they replace the windscreen.

Just down the road the Red Cross 1900 (Red 908) has an engine with two composite ex-propeller blades and an oil leak. As I recall this a/c belongs to Executive Turbine. Any takers on the cause of this one?

captee
28th Jun 2005, 18:37
ok from all experts we talked to and even personel from the AU they all wonder how a bullet can coz such a damage at that altutude coz aparently its safe till 3000 feet above ground all quoted ny the military personel.........and another theory is that a tracer can reach such heights .......... can we get concrete infomation as to which altitudes all bullets or tracers become ineffective or harmless but also takin into consideratio that a plane moves at a considerable fast pace specially turbo props on decend gain speed

Renaissance
29th Jun 2005, 10:01
Sorry for the Delay guys. I've emailed the pics to ChiefT. maybe he can post them.

That crew really needs to ask if they are paid enough....

I remember a couple of years back a Danish F/O in a King Air 200 was killed with a bullet straight to the head while flying between Loki (HKLK) and Juba (HSSJ).....

406 Pilot, I don't think the skipper is the guy you are thinking of. However he does work with that fellow......

Captee, are you still down on Saturday? The Audi needs a driver?

helldog
30th Jun 2005, 06:44
Bit of a mystery that. How sure can you be that it was a bullet? lets consider some very far out causes wooooooooo........

Meteorite....You would have to be bloody unlucky for it to happen, but I have read that several people have been killed being struck by small meteorites. But if that was it jeez you would have to be cursed.

A small falling part from another aircraft? Again if that was the case you might have to pack your bags and go home.

Herc Jerk
30th Jun 2005, 07:18
The guys in the King Air were down low when they were hit. At the altitudes you're talking about its not a bullet.

It's more likely to be a piece fallen off a Herc out of Loki...;)

Renaissance
30th Jun 2005, 09:47
Hi Helldog....

How's it? Keeping well I hope.....

Another silly theory is air to air fire. There are plenty of An24s An26's An12's adn Mi8s out there. Could it be an AUCFC Gunship shooting.......?

Captee what other traffic was around? I was long gone by the time you were descending.

captee
30th Jun 2005, 11:57
how can one post pics into this page????

Massey1Bravo
30th Jun 2005, 12:01
Try www.imageshack.us (http://www.imageshack.us/) or www.webshots.com (http://www.webshots.com/)

pingopango
30th Jun 2005, 12:53
What was the reg of the Dash 8?

ChiefT
30th Jun 2005, 14:28
I asked the admin to allow me to post the pics, have to wait for this and will then upload the pics...

dicksynormous
30th Jun 2005, 16:19
Come on guys. Takin abit of ground fire is par for the course and a normal day out in sudan or somalia. The real danger is from a miraa pilot vmc on the north east cutting across the centreline of jkia climbing when its rvr 400metres v///. (thats sky obscured for all of you that didnt actually sit an exam)

Or projectile vomiting blue rinse brigade tourists in an otter...or every tom dick and mwangi calling themselves caftain and piling in with monotonous regularity.

Lets keep things in perspective.