PDA

View Full Version : Ek Housing, Latest

puff m'call
28th Jun 2005, 08:52
Just to let all of you EK wanabe's with a family know the latest rumour from the housing department is only families with 3 or more kids will get a villa, expect an apartment!

Don't shoot the messenger.

Payscale
28th Jun 2005, 09:00
Consider yourself shot!

Just think of it. About 580 villas are being built near the emirates road.

Emirates are trying to attract pilots, not distance themself.

I havnt heard it...and I dont believe it...

But, hey , I live outside accomodation :ok:

gccpro
28th Jun 2005, 09:05
What if you have a dog? (and I mean the canine type not stewardess)

KunnDize
28th Jun 2005, 11:32
I don't believe that rumour.But, hey , I live outside accomodation Are things that bad?

Isn't it hot out there?

critical winge
28th Jun 2005, 11:52
You can see on the crew portal that 600+ houses at silicon city are proposed for EK (pilots). To those who are here, it will help your (stay or go) decision about the CONTINUOUS CHANGES to the stability and lifestyle along with the changing working conditions.

Wannabees, if those houses in the desert are for you, then your quality of lifestyle has already taken a plunge when you arrive. Good luck with the decision to come if you are thinking of applying, the decision has just been made a whole lot easier to make.

flybystring
28th Jun 2005, 13:08
I especially liked the line in the manager of accomodations reply to L and I quote.

"If a Company move is required, it will be done"

I do love the language they use, my little girl could write a less inflammatory statement than that. It raised more questions than it answered. We are not taking on 600+ pilots and managers a year so he infers its also for us already here.

So by all accounts from next September many of us may find ourselves being evicted from our current accomodation, our wifes friends, the school our kids are settled in, and moved forceably by some bureaucrat into some new accomodation that is far from ideal out in the desert and away from Dubai.

I think it is really time Mr Stealy sent some of his staff on introduction to how not to piss off your workforce further class.

Glorified Donkey
28th Jun 2005, 17:27
anyone have pictures of these villas? how many sq.ft are they?

max AB
28th Jun 2005, 17:32
They are still under construction, but who needs a picture...they are in the desert...Map on this page (http://www.dso.ae/strategic.asp)

Payscale
28th Jun 2005, 18:11
KunnDize.....hehehe...good one! Yep! Its really hot outside.

The villas are alot like a mid size meddows villa. If you drive out on the Al Ain Road, they are right after you go under the Emirates Road, om yout left. 10 min from WTC.

As your compound lease comes up for renewal, you will probably get moved. Simple economics.

flybystring
28th Jun 2005, 19:02
Simple economics are this, VS hiring, Qatar Hiring, Singapore Hiring, Cathay Hiring, Dragon Hiring, BA Hiring, China Hiring, Easy Hiring, Ryan air Hiring, almost everyone hiring.

An over opinionated, desert third world airline hemorrhaging pilots, and recruiting now anybody with a pulse and a license. and it still does not realize why.

If it turns out to be true, EK can for most of us I’m sure stick it where the sun does not shine.

For new joiners ask, where this place is, there are no schools, no shops, no infrastructure and a 1 Hour 30 school run for your wife, minimum, twice a day. Oh but you will be able to say hello to the similarly qualified DEC they hired last week and gave your command too, he will live next door!

Ah but you always wanted to live in an industrial park, didn’t you

EK let your F In accommodation department to fly your aircraft.

flybystring
28th Jun 2005, 19:18
No, our management aspire to be as incompetant as Qatar and in many ways they are doing a fine job at it.

The awaful thing about these layovers is that I should be asleep now but its light outside

boofta
29th Jun 2005, 06:06
Thank you one and all for your brutally honest insites into all
aspects of life at EK. I am sure that your truthfullness will save
many other potential recruits from the worst decision of their lives.
The big wheel is turning, many airlines looking for crew
and planing expansion. Our day will come!
At worst the beancounters will have to pay more to keep you.
Good luck to all.

Shake
29th Jun 2005, 08:27
Also beware; having spoken with those who have already been relocated, the move can personally cost between 10,000-20,000dhms for moving and getting re-established, much more than the EK 'allowance' provides for.

Cerberus
29th Jun 2005, 15:46
It will be interesting to see what actually happens, the location is not that much worse than say the ranches. The villas might actually be quite good but I could not imagine living with 600 colleagues. Added to that, the traffic jam when the Global Village is open should ensure a 4hr before flight pick-up. It seems that the powers that be have not noticed that guys are resigning. I see 9 more this month. The management only understand fiscal cost they seem to have no EQ or understanding of anything but the bottom line.

Cerberus

Trashed Aviator
3rd Jul 2005, 07:55
If only CX would take direct entry F/os they would have endorsed pilots falling over each other to get in ,and out of the ME////

Payscale
3rd Jul 2005, 08:20
Hang on Guys. In all fairness to people who read this and dont live here. Facts:

10 min and you are at World Trade Center. So unless your kids are in a Abu Dhabi school, it wont take 1.30 hours. Loads of kids living same place, sound like school bus arangement to me. No more driving to schools. Whats the wife gonna do now?

Its not a huge plunge in living standard. Maybe for some who were lucky to live on the beach, and not in Satwa. For guys stuck in flats on S. Z. Road it will be better. Or flamingo villas for that matter.

It close to Arabian Ranches, Gazelles. Attractive properties that have gone 50% up in value in a year. Must be more or less ok then!

City of Arabia, Dubai Land and what not, is coming up out there.

10 min and you can shop in Union Coop at Vegetable Market.

So if you are joining from end of next year, you will be getting a brand new villa. Is that so bad?

Flybystring has a gift of tying accomodation, command, DEC traffic and much more in one big frustration. That his opinion. This was mine. The truth is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

So what if 14 people have left over the last 2 months. Thats just 0.5% a month. That is to be expected it times where all those airlines someone mentioned are recruiting.

Pointy end forward, dirty side down.

max AB
3rd Jul 2005, 17:31
Well that's one villa filled...now who wants the other 599??

Payscale
3rd Jul 2005, 19:00
Nope...I bought my villa. Why waste 9000 DHS a month ;)

gj18457
4th Jul 2005, 02:29
Payscale,

Could you give all the aspiring candidates a little more info on the
proposed new villas that are located in the new eastern suburbs.
What size will these villas be and what quality can one expect.I only ask as you have obviously purchased a property.Has the size of the villa that you bought of the plan remained the same when you have actually moved in.If I was to join EK this year could I expect to be moved from company accomodation a year later when the new Silicon villas become available and would I have to pay for the moving/curtains/carpet costs.What are these project suburbs like to live in and how would you like to live with another 500 people all employed by the same company in close proximity.Sorry for all the questions however you seem to have some good facts and have been in EK for some time or so it seems.Its obviously a big decision to uproot the family and the type and area that they will have to live in is a big concern especially with the rising rents making renting outside not viable.

Warlock2000
4th Jul 2005, 03:35
It's bad enough when Jumeirah Jane's get together for "coffee mornings" to discuss "Company Politics".
Imagine what 600 "Silicon Sisters" living a confined environment would do...
:sad:

mig21bis
4th Jul 2005, 05:08
gj18457
Once I read an article about real state and expats, and I remember some questions that you must ask before moving to dubai or any place, this can be used as a guide:

It is the right place for your family? Safety, education, etc. If yes
You get a housing allowance or company provided housing?
How much is the housing allowance, in this case for FO and CAPT?
Can you pay a mortage to buy a house/villa/apartment with that allowance?
When you finish paying the mortage, what happen with the housing allowance, you keep it or loose it? Important issue to me.
If Loans are available for expats in dubai?
How many years you need to be working in dubai to get a Loan?

This questions can help you to plan for your future.

From an outsider point of view, and reading this topic and other ones. It is easy, If you stay for less than 3 to 5 years, use company provided house and not spend your money. If you stay for longer term, try to buy a place, use the allowance and pay the mortage. Nothing to loose. Even if the place loose 60 to 70 percent of the value because The alignment of Jupiter and Neptun with the sun are not correct, you will be able to collect some cash. Just use it as a second provident fund. Payscale, your opinion on this?

Payscale
4th Jul 2005, 06:18
I have been told the villlas are very much like a midsize villa in the medows. You can look the up under Emaar dot com or ae.

I have bought in a place called Arabian Ranches, just down the road. I dont want to live with all my co-workers, that why I moved out some time ago.

Company accomodation is included curtains, carpets where needed and such.

I dont know how the other fellow paid 10-20000 dhs for the move. I paid 2500 Dhs with EuroMovers 2 years ago.

I think the most realistic thing to do is, if you plan to move your family til Dubai, to come down and see for yourself. Then you wont be one of your unhappy friends.

Dont read to much into the contract, but ask and find out how it actually is on a day to day basis.

Mig21

Your point of view was valid 1-2 years ago. Prices have increased 50-100% since, so buying today wont give you very much, if the allowance is to cover it.

gj18457
4th Jul 2005, 09:10
Thanks for the info guys.I assume some of the of the relocation costs included more than just the the cost of the removalists.Like transfer of carpets,curtains,painting,internet,gardens etc as I imagine not all accomodation is identical in dimensions etc.I will check out the sites from the developers however I wouldn't like living amongst loads of other guys I work with either especially 500-600!!. As for buying like payscale has said with the gains made and the prices of any descent accomodation using the housing allowance to pay a loan doesn't seem viable at the moment.Anyway more research to do.Cheers GJ.

flybystring
4th Jul 2005, 09:18
Paycale, the problem is thats how most people see it, one big frustration as in this envionment they can not seperate one issue from another even if they wish too. Command is linked to accomodation as Dubai is to work as your location is to the availability of adequate infrastructure and schooling etc etc.

One big frustration at having the goalposts changed monthly, ridiculous rules imposed without reason, and micro management unable to take an overview of whats going on.

The point is, the threat exists that many pilots with established lifestyles will be moved to save a few bucks again. This imposes untold stress on the family unit and it is once again to do everything possible for short term financial gain with little in the way of long term forsight. I am not frustrated by DEC's it does not effect me but it does many others and after all EK is the Overall, people do not join for just the one aspect.

Please dont infer to new joiners that these villas are just 10 minutes to facilities. If you could show me the selection of schools at World Trade Centre I would love to see them.

Secondly Arabian Ranches are a development that includes infrastructure, silicone city has none that I am aware of , Arabian ranches has schools and shops, silicone city none.

EK has to be viewed on the whole and this is just one aspect, others are spread all over this web site.

EK is not the worst job, but is going downhill, the safety culture is being eroded as is the lifestyle. Its a choice, but guys have to know the full facts.

My opinion is just one but if you come here for interview ask these questions, ask to see the plans for this place, and ask every other question you think of, get the answers in writing because once your here its too late.

max AB
4th Jul 2005, 09:53
No doubt the villas will be nice and new, look great etc etc. If I came to Dubai because I could live in a new house then I would be in need serious therapy. For new joiners, there will be schools right next door at Academic City, infrastructure will catch up (eventually). But consider this, your kids will be at the same school as your neighbours, you will shop at the same place, walk the same streets, swim in the same pool and then go to work and fly in the same jet. If that is your idea of a life style you desire then good for you. The only other option is follow Payscale's lead and go it alone.

For established players, a move will involve possible school transfers (again) paying for your removal (less the company furniture). Your furnishing allowance will be paid minus the cost of your new curtains/carpet even though you were due new ones in your old place. Your new Villa will be built in the middle of a hole that will require sand, grass, plants etc so add that to your costs. Oh and you will have the standard two weeks notice to organise the move!

But lets not get to worked up, a lot can happen between now and next September, maybe the rents will collapse, it snowed once remember...

mig21bis
4th Jul 2005, 16:25
it also depends from which country you came from. If you are from countries like mine, Argentina, 3rd World, were a wide body captain made around 4000 us a month in hand with overtime and per diems after 25 years of flying, where unions are not unions, just clubs to drink a beer, crime is a concern, pensions are state regulated at 1000 usd per month max, so if you dont save anything, forget it, emirates, qatar, Ethihad are a good options. If you are from serious countries, like OZ, NZ, from the states or Europe, where lifestyle is better, unions are better, Jobs are available (I know ryan or easy are not the best options, but at least are options, here 2 companies, some biz jets and thats it), where crime is not a problem, where the state gives you at least something of what they steal you from taxes, maby emirates is not as good option. For someone from the thirld world, saving 500 or 1000 us a month, paying a mortage for 10 years (in our countries a 10 year loan is not an option as the country economy will probably colapse every 8 years), even for a house that will loose value, and been able to do all this and send the kids to a private school is almost imposible to do in our home countries.

max AB
4th Jul 2005, 17:33
mig that's great mate...so can I put you down for a corner Villa or one that backs onto the Industrial Park?

LHR Rain
4th Jul 2005, 18:02
Migs,

Don't fall for the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence logic. You might come from a 3rd world country but it is your country and you can not put a price on that. Here you will always be a red headed step child with nothing or no one to back you up. Think long and hard about uprooting your family to come to another 3rd world country.

mig21bis
4th Jul 2005, 19:01
I am not going to dubai right now but I will posible try to apply to emirates in a future as I am single and my situation is different to guys with family, but I am happy here for the moment exept for money :O :mad:.

I just wanted to post how the 3rd world really is and how that 3rd world conditions can influence a desicion about dubai been the right place or the wrong place to live. Just that.

To know if dubai is the best place or the worst place, the answer is easy but expensive: take the family with you and feel the place. Every person and every family is a small world and what is fine to you or your family may not be fine to other guy family. :ok: