PDA

View Full Version : DECENT TOOLS

OLD_EGG_BOUND
26th Mar 2001, 00:14
I NOTICED THAT IN ANOTHER POST CONCERNING WHAT TOOLS TO CARRY PEOPLE CONSTANTLY REFERED TO SNAP ON TOOLS. WHAT OTHER BRANDS CAN PEOPLE RECOMEND AND WHICH BRANDS SHOULD WE AVOID?

Engineer
26th Mar 2001, 00:16
sears craftman

riche71
26th Mar 2001, 00:35
steer clear of sykes pickavant hammers the
heads are to soft.look in a machine mart catalogue for some tools as most are now comming with lifetime guarantees.if you want to pay £50 for snapon ratchet screwdriver
and a £1 for $1 ie $20.00 = £20.00 then they are your guys.you can also find tools like air drills and rivet guns on american tool sites.

Blacksheep
26th Mar 2001, 09:56
The longest lasting tool I have is a scriber that I made myself during the "Blacksmith" phase of my apprenticeship. I've also had a military surplus instrument screwdriver (with a wooden handle and brass ferrule date stamped 1936) for 25 years. Otherwise apart from my "Snap-on" socket set and small spanners, most of my screwdrivers and pliers are "Stanley"

Through difficulties to the cinema

CONES R US
26th Mar 2001, 12:38
Craftsman are good, you can pick them up in Sears if you're ever in the states.
Most snap-on stuff is good, but tends to grow legs if you're not careful. I bought one of their ratchet screwdrivers almost 10 years ago and use it almost every day. Apart from a lube and clean it gives me no hassle.
You get what you pay for, but a set of halfords sockets does the same job as a snap on set for a fraction of the price and doesn't look as inviting to any light fingered co-workers.

------------------
Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut......TO GO!

redtail
26th Mar 2001, 17:48
Gotta admire the brass of the low-life who would steal tools from a mechanic. Isn't that a capital punishment crime?

Recommended brands:
Snap-On - the best! (Along with Fluke)
Matco
MAC
Armstrong
Proto
SK
Craftsman - probably my bottom line.

near enuf is good enuf
26th Mar 2001, 20:57
I can't agree with you on that one Redtail,
Craftsman Professional just as good as Snap-On to me but then again I only use girly sizes being a conehead. :) :)

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or virtue,
as you choose!"

Sid and Coke
26th Mar 2001, 22:24
Can anybody recommend a brand of really small girly sockets or spanners, I'm Talking 1/8 or smaller. Sometimes with the small head bolts you often(always) find on wire connectors,insty boxes, etc, you only get one go. At least with the larger stuff if all else fails there is always the drill and easy-out.I Like Snap-on flank drive,MAC 1/4 drive Hi-loc wrench,Stahl Wille(everything), Facom.

redtail
27th Mar 2001, 00:01
Snap-On has mouse nut sizes, 3/32nds in sockets and 1/8th in wrenches. Craftsman has an ignition wrench set that is the bee's knees, a little pocket pouch of airplane sizes. Check out their websites at www.snapon.com (http://www.snapon.com) and www.craftsman.com (http://www.craftsman.com) .

Blacksheep
27th Mar 2001, 07:10
Talking of girlie sockets. We once had an A & C chap come into our instrument workshop and ask if anyone had an 8BA (remember them?) spanner he could borrow. 'Bert wrinkled his nose, scratched his head and answered;

"No, I don't think I have anything that big..." :)

(For our younger readers an 8BA would have been around 3/32 or 2 mm)

Through difficulties to the cinema

spanners
28th Mar 2001, 02:32
Redtail-
you're right about stealing tools ! It should be a hanging offence. But in my experience it's always other engineers who do the nicking! (I had an entire set of 1/4 dr sockets taken whilst on a 747 major line at LHR with a certain Big Airways.)

Also saw a guy who had a snap on roll trolley with entire snap on contents dissapear overnight! (Not insured as it was not in the approved pen. Ouch!)

Taff Missed
28th Mar 2001, 12:00
Spanners

You're right about hanging the ba****ds. And of course, etching your name on your tools just means they know which toolbox to visit when they want the rest of the set!

The real problem with tool theft, and I know this is drifting away from the topic somewhat, is where the thief might leave a tool with your name on it.

--------------

If it ain't broke...........

aeroguru
28th Mar 2001, 15:50
When I was working the line for Saudia in the Kingdom back in late seventies/early eighties I did a few jobs with a young Saudi just back from training in the States.
Company had given him a Snap On roll cab and top box and just about everything in the aero part of the catalogue.
Anyway to cut a short story shorter,I was so in awe of this set and it made the jobs we did go real sweet.For example 737 nose oleo seal change.
Soon after he was in the blue,never to be dirty again blue shirt, as the new hangar foreman!
He then offered to give me the whole lot.
Unfortunately they were all beautifully engraved in arabic with his name and the Saudia logo and religious script so I did not think it proper to take them.
There are some real good tools around now though and I don't think you have to stay with Snap On.Because the tool allowance is almost a thing of the past.