PDA

View Full Version : VFR flying and plane rental in Tanzania

DenC
27th Jun 2005, 09:20
Hello everyone,

I am coming to East Africa next week on a honeymoon and am thinking about renting a plane in Tanzania for a few hours.
Have mailed the Tanzanian CAA about the rules and so on but havent got a clear answer so Im trying my luck here instead...

I have fATPL (500 hours TT) and my certificates are all JAR.

What is the rules regarding flying private vfr? Can I do a 1 hour flight with an instructor and then rent the plane for a few hours? Or do I need to do some kind of test/exam?

And how are the conditions of the typical cheap SEP-planes in Tanzania? (As bad as the worst stories???).

Anyone knows a good flying school that has the instuctors i might be looking for? (And a cheap c172?).

Have tried searching on the web but havent really found anything usefull....

Am going to Arusha, Dar and Zanzibar so if theres a flying school one of those places that would be great. Whats the best place to fly (most spectacular?).

Thanks a lot everyone... :D

406pilot
27th Jun 2005, 14:24
hi "karibu sana" to Tanzania..

nice that someone actually considers this place worth spending their honey moon..therez just one known flight school in this place and i dont even know wht its called but its there alright flying around in a cherokee 140..a few charter operators have a few c-172 oops sorry that one ditched...ok one guys has a c-182 but not sure he rents he is a self employed charter pilot...

the pace is full of small time charter and commuters that will take you to the most spectacular places on the planet..

Coastal travels do schedule flights to most parts of Tanzania this is the tourist season so ii suggest u get online at www.coastal.cc and do your bookings in advance they operate c-206 and caravans c-208...

nice places to see would be the selous game reserve,mafia island and the sadani game reserve...and if you have more time then perhaps go north where u have the like of regional air and air excel doing schedules into the seregeti and ngorongoro which are quite nice to see...

all in all its a great place to be just make sure u book in advace

keep it up there fellows...

no more 406pilot

ps: i woulnt spoil my honeymoon trying to sort out my licence with the tcaa too much hassle..this is africa dude "money talks and bs walks"

Renaissance
28th Jun 2005, 08:57
Check out Super Skies Aviation in Dar. I think thats the flight school. They have a charter dept too.... I beleive they operate Cerokee 140/180, C-182, and Beech skipper or katana ore something like that.

Tanzania is Great.....

You'll love it, but heed the advice from 406 pilot. TCAA will require patience..... So will Tanzania for that matter, but as long as there's no real urgency you'll love it.

Good luck...

DenC
28th Jun 2005, 11:24
Oki,
Thanks a lot to both of you.

I am currently flying a C206 so I will try to see if Coastal can use a good pilot... How is my chances of that???

406pilot
28th Jun 2005, 16:19
hi there,,

just spoke to a friend who operated a c-182 says you will need a minimum of 10 hour check in his plane which he is renting at 200$ @ hour "dry" and then you can go flying on your own..still a helluva way to see and explore Tanzania and the mrs.will remember this more then any other honeymoon gift you will have bought her...

coastal is always on the lookout for c-206 pilots hell if "chris" can make it so can anyone else(i hope he reads this)

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

DenC
1st Jul 2005, 06:04
Regarding Coastal and C206, whats the salary like? (Not to high i Guess?). How many hours can one expect to fly and so on.....?

Thanks again.

406pilot
1st Jul 2005, 06:12
hi denC

never had the distiction of being employed with coastal ...lots of hours guaranteed..not sure if they are employing right now...salary is anyones guess...

i know of quite a lot of guys in coastal read thru in pprune but dont have what it takes to make a post so i doubt if the salary thing can be sorted out

keep t up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

DenC
1st Jul 2005, 09:52
Well, Ill just have to ask them myself when I get down there... :D

Thanks again.

Soap Box Cowboy
1st Jul 2005, 14:43
Hi DenC

The best idea would be for you to lease a plane with the pilot, then you can get up there and enjoy the sights without spending the next month trying to get you liscence. And you have the extra benefit of flying with someone who knows the area and the way things are done here. It can be a bit confusing for the Newbie's.

As for Jobs Coastal is looking for 206 drivers and van drivers. For the 206 you will need about 400 hours total. For the Van +1500 hours total with time on type and most likely +2000 hours without time on type. All vans are flown single crew so that is why the requirments are so high.

The flying here is pretty good and exciting, the pay with coastal and some other companies is not too bad from what I hear guys are getting in Europe and SA. You will definetly be able to afford the beers.

Hey 406, nice to see your flying something you can fit in comfortably these days :E

406pilot
2nd Jul 2005, 08:34
he he he

finally a coastal pilot posting on pprune..hurray

wht happened to you chris, never knew you were a cowboy? oh that explains the gloves u were when u fly....even a 206

no more 406pilot

Soap Box Cowboy
2nd Jul 2005, 10:37
No need for Gloves in a Van, easier to fly then my little 206, but still 206 is the best for Bush Safari. Get's hot and sweaty when you are down there with the Impala

Haven't seen you in ages, we got to all get together and head of the the bad club.

See ya later buddy :ok:

Cessnafan
2nd Jul 2005, 22:14
A 206 is still one of the finest aeries out there!! They just improved on it with the Van!:)

Soap Box Cowboy
3rd Jul 2005, 15:44
Would love to have a go on a Soloy Mod Turbine 206, sounds like it would be a blast. 400 SHP Yummy. Only problem is the price tag and the fact that you can't put a pod on it.

But got to say the most fun 206 is one with a Stol kit and tip tanks, great for the bush.

406pilot
3rd Jul 2005, 20:04
naaaah soloy(allison) burns a lot of gas and still doesnt go fast enough i reckon 210 kts tops as the gear would be down..no pod=no fun aswell wonder wht the endurance would be with 76 gallons usable tanl capacity("long range in a 206") .....

no wonder there arent any flying...saw a bonanza in jhb with the same..now theres some serious speed, the owner claimed initial climb rate of 4000fpm still airframe and range limited to 260 kts...if u really need something as spectacular as that rather stick to the pc-12 now theres a wow machine even a few of my captains like it...

no more 406pilot