PDA

View Full Version : Input on shortage?? of OZ LAMEs......

lame
8th May 2001, 07:14
CASA in their latest Flight Safety magazine are calling for input on ways to alleviate the shortage (as told to them by the Airlines) of Australian LAMEs.

You can respond if you want, as I have, to Steve Bell of CASA at [email protected]

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

Aerosexual
9th May 2001, 17:50
Hi again lame. I have not seen the flight safety mag yet, however, I am beinging to think this is just another positioning by Australian Airlines to justify empoloying AME's only, as I have experianced with one preticular Airline. As you are aware this is a particularly good cost cutting exsercise as you only have 1 LAME per 10 AME's.

lame
10th May 2001, 01:26
Hi,

That is the point, the Airlines are obviously telling CASA that they are trying to hire more LAMEs but cannot find any. Now CASA are asking for ideas about this supposed shortage of LAMEs, because they believe the Airlines, so send this guy at CASA your emails and tell him the TRUE story.

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

Aerosexual
10th May 2001, 15:50
Lame. Was thrashing this topic about at work today, and well we came up with interesting reason why there is a shortage of licenced engineers. Basically, with most school leavers these days there are a lot more options. But to cut to the point, they want to earn money, and lots of it. I have a friend 2 years out of his uni degree, which is four years, and he is earning 150 grand a year contracting in the IT industry. Now how can the indusrty compete against that when these kids don't have to do CASA exams and then do type course, then fill in SOE's and then hope CASA will grant you a licence. I know I could have my time again I know which option I would choose.

lame
10th May 2001, 23:37
Hi again,

This is all the sort of things too that this guy at CASA says he wants to know, so if you haven't already done so, send him an email.

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

Ali Crom
11th May 2001, 03:11
A similar thread was started quite recently for the same problem in the U.K.
I just hope that CASA are more sincere about addressing the shortage that exists than our own authority are ( CAA or Campaign Against Aviation as someone called it ).
The story so far........
So the other European airlines tell their respective airworthiness authorities that there is a shortage of skilled & suitable qualified Engineers (but they don't want to part with any cash getting them)With that the authorities get together & agree that there is a problem & so with JAR66 they change the licence examination methods.
As we are a JAA member state we now have to "harmonize" with the other JAA members with the introduction of JAR66 ( Engineer licensing )
With JAR66 you no longer have to do written essays , no more penalty marking on the multi guess & the icing on the cake they scrap the oral exam.Just learn a sh*t load of MCQs parrot fashion without learning the subjects & your laughing .
And just to rub salt in the wounds the CAA who set the standards (lower) then have the cheek to say it's not their fault it's the industry that's to blame.
Oh & didn't I mention where the CAA get lots of their revenue from , Shortage , what shortage?
Good luck Guys as it's a steep hill you've gotta climb.

lame
11th May 2001, 07:21
Have now received a reply email from Steve Bell at CASA.

He seems to be very genuine and is trying to help the situation. He is preparing a report on these problems for CASA management and the Industry.

He says he has been inundated with emails and letters, that is good, however not so good is that he has had some abusive ones, obviously NOT from PPRuNers?????

------------------