PDA

View Full Version : Cadet pilots earn their stripes

Deanw
27th Jun 2005, 08:17
News24:

Cadet pilots earn their stripes

26/06/2005

Livuwani Masakona

Johannesburg - They always wanted to fly high and now the sky is the limit.

Six cadets graduated from a South African Airways (SAA) pilot training programme for young people from a previously disadvantaged background.

Munzhedzi Machaba, one of the graduates, told guests at a ceremony in Boksburg on Friday evening that he had always wanted to be a pilot "but I couldn't even consider getting there as it is an expensive course".

The graduation marked the beginning of their long-awaited journey to fly.

Machaba and the five other graduates will join South African Express Airlines for a two-year internship before joining SAA.

They are Avishkar Jayrajh, Gisela Kirsten, Khulong Ledwaba, Sibonelo Maseko and Ashleigh Cullen.

"This is just the transition stage. It is a stepping stone to where I would like to get," Machaba said and added that more black people should be afforded the opportunity he got.

He said being a pilot involved employing a sense of responsibility, knowing that you are in control and that there are people's lives at stake.

"As a pilot you don't take the back seat and things for granted. You make decisions," Machaba said.

The graduates said that as a trainee and pilot "you have to constantly perform".

The SAA cadet pilot programme, which commenced in 1995 with 12 students, requires cadets to maintain high academic performance, complete aviation-related training and get a microlight pilot's licence.

Cullen was awarded the SAA trophy for best academic performance, the 43 Air School award for best flying performance and the CEO trophy for best overall performance.

"Everything comes with sacrifice and you reward yourself in the end," Cullen said.

"I always wanted to fly and I found (the) challenge exciting," she said.

The graduates oozed confidence and said they would forever strive to do their best - for themselves and their country.

The SAA cadet pilot programme ... requires cadets to ... get a microlight pilot's licence.

:ooh: :hmm:

SebasW
27th Jun 2005, 08:49
May be that's where they should stay! :E

he had always wanted to be a pilot "but I couldn't even consider getting there as it is an expensive course".

So again their their just trying to emphasize that if you were not previously disadvantaged the money's just rolling in!

This has got to be the most absurd statement that I have heard because I know of many pilots, black and white, that have worked their way into getting their licences by doing ops or any loose jobs and saving up!

That has got to be the worst excuse anyone can use... "I doon't haf enough of da green stuff..."! :*

Rhodie
27th Jun 2005, 13:06
The SAA cadet pilot programme, which commenced in 1995 with 12 students, requires cadets to maintain high academic performance, complete aviation-related training and get a microlight pilot's licence.

Jeez - half a million bucks and a 'microlight pilot's licence'.... ???:hmm:

"Gawd muning.. these is yor Captain speking. We will be cruising at the altitude of 2000' today, the meal will be served shortly by me passing a chicken roll over my shoulder. The drinks trolley is that bottle by yor left knee. Please remain sitted for the entire flight".

R

Woof etc
28th Jun 2005, 22:49
"The SAA cadet pilot programme, which commenced in 1995 with 12 students, requires cadets to maintain high academic performance, complete aviation-related training and get a microlight pilot's licence."

Looks like the SAA cost cutting initiative is starting to bite!