PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

Fogrunner
27th Jun 2005, 01:05
Okay at the risk of getting flamed I would like to get some info on Emirates.

I have done a search and found some good information.

My background is:

7100 hrs, 2000 hrs PIC CE650, 750 hrs PIC BE400, 1000hrs SIC CRJ, 1700hrs SIC Turboprop.

I am currently flying a DC10 for a US 121 cargo carrier (400hrs sic).

I am thinking about applying to Emirates as an F/O. I have "Handling the Big Jets", and just ordered the Emirates interview guide by Captains X, Y and Z. Does anyone have some constructive advice on how to better prepare for an interview?

I am dual national US/UK. Thanks in advance. Feel free to PM if you want.

jackbauer
27th Jun 2005, 03:08
Consider yourself flamed and a complete computer ludite unable to spell SEARCH!!! You don't need a map to find the top right of this page do you?

mig21bis
27th Jun 2005, 04:35
Someone put here to study from:

"Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" from Gary v. Bristow

Payscale
27th Jun 2005, 05:01
Dont worry about any of the books. Go in and do your best. Be yourself see how it goes. The tech quiz is not that important. The sim is. Goos Luck

journeyman
27th Jun 2005, 05:14
jackbauer,

What's a ludite?

BBJ King
27th Jun 2005, 05:15
Payscale, I totally agree
I read flying the big jets - waste of time

Spend more time finding out if you really want to make this move. Not that I'm saying you should not go, but it will cost you if you decide to leave before your 3 year bond is paid off.

BusyB
27th Jun 2005, 05:26
journeyman,

Someone who won't use modern machinery, I suspect jackbauer needs to find another word though as the originator of this topic clearly stated

"I have done a search and found some good information. "

In addition it's spelt "luddite".

journeyman
27th Jun 2005, 05:41
BusyB,

Oh, so that's what he meant - a luddite. Looks like Fogrunner isn't the only one who can't spell - not so, Jack?

Fogrunner
27th Jun 2005, 12:52
Jack,

Okay I will bite. How is search spelled incorrectly?

Are you on drugs?

Every ground school I have attended, there is always one.

To the other folks, thank you for the replies.

puff m'call
28th Jun 2005, 08:45
To answer the original question, in short it's getting to the situation that if you have a valid licence and medical (all body parts in place and correct in number) you will get the job.

The situation here is going to get desperate soon, with all the aircraft we have on order and everyone else recruiting at the same time, pilots are going to be in high demand and if we don't get them the jets will be filling the car parks.

Good luck, but i don't think you will need it.

mini cooper
29th Jun 2005, 12:38
Fogrunner, what you really have to find out about is living and working in Dubai for EK. Don't worry too much about the sim,interview etc. If you really are interested get info on housing, schooling,days off, roster patterns, staff travel and the expat lifestyle. If you get an interview all well and good, but don't believe the hype, try to look at the big picture ie why you want to leave where you are and come to the desert - it could be the biggest decision of your life.

Please don't just come here because you think you will get a command in 3-4 years, look at the big picture, look at the quality of life you can expect , from my experience you will find it very hard to have a good lifestyle if you are married as an FO, single it could be OK. Just look at all the stuff written on these forums and gauge the general feeling at EK, the morale, the trust we have in management, the support you can expect. Balance that with your expectations then decide - it is up to you.

You either love it here or loathe it.

:sad:

Riker
29th Jun 2005, 13:33
Fogrunner,

I would be careful in your consideration of Emirates. A lot of new, flashy aircraft and growth expected, but there are a number of negatives and things to consider (if you do a thorough search on this board you will learn a lot more):

1. Emirates pilots are not unionized - Emirates has changed its contracts at will and you will have no protection...

2. Airline flying in the Middle East is considered a commodity with many "cheap" pilots being sourced from India and other countries - they consider an Emirates salary a big pay raise

3. You would have to live in Dubai and life there is not so cheap

If I were you, I would return to Flightinfo and conduct a search for a pilot called Typhoonpilot. He is a former USAirways pilot who now flies a 777 for Emirates - he'll give you the details you need. Good luck - and don't jump too quickly without getting the facts.

typhoonpilot
29th Jun 2005, 17:36
Already PM'd him.

:ok:

TP

Riker
29th Jun 2005, 20:35
TP,

He's got the same name on Flightinfo. I think you better contact him there too and give him the low down....

boeingdriverx
30th Jun 2005, 02:24
Hi!

I am just curious about salaries at Emirates, could somebody please tell me what is the basic salary for a F/O on his first month on the line, what are his allowances and finally how much is the duty pay per hour and how many hours you do per month ?

that might help you too fogrunner!?

Thanks in advance
BD

flybystring
30th Jun 2005, 07:47
Starting salary is around 18,400 Dhs per month.

Duty pay is Zero

Overtime is 280 Dhs per hour, however reserve simulator and office time do not count to this total. Further it is based on scheduled block time not actual, so if you get a four hour delay they do not pay you for it.

Overtime is paid on hours over approx 78 per month but that depends on how many days in a month.

There is a scheme to pay you for working days off but it is smoke and mirrors, nobody ever gets paid.

If you have kids you don’t get a business upgrade, but economy only as they will not let your kids travel in J class.

Re accommodation see other posts on this site.

It is not the worst job in the industry but management are persecuting the pilots, while the majority of similarly graded management positions remain untouched.

It is a big decision, don’t do it because you want a quick command because that can evaporate faster than Scotch Mist.

boeingdriverx
30th Jun 2005, 11:24
Ok thanks

I did the math so as F/O your basic salary is equivalent to :

5,009.93 USD or 4,151.11 EUR

what about allowances, do you have any? lets say if you don't get company housing how much is your allowance, what about utility (elec,gas etc...), transport, telephone, kids school, kids,wife etc...???????

what about these yearly increase in basic pay?

BD

Quod Boy
30th Jun 2005, 13:34
Boeing driver,there is a 3% annual increment.

We just had a 8% pay raise,and 10% in utilities.

However,my rent has moved up 20%,and the pay raise came after 19 plus pilots quit in a short period of time coincidence?I dont know,there is virtually no communication to the pilots.

I arrived in yesterday,the crew taking the a/c were all Capts,as no FOs left on reserve,and one said at least 20 more guys currently in the 3 month process of leaving,in addition to the 17 gone.

Cannot confirm,but do your own maths and read the extensive posts on working here as a pilot,and make an informed decision that is best for you and your family.

It was a very good job,where people left good jobs to get a widebody command in due course,in seniority,but that was a long time ago.

Good luck,QB:cool:

BigGeordie
30th Jun 2005, 13:38
The other allowance worth mentioning is the "utilities allowance" if you move out of the company provided housing. This has just gone up 10% to about 8,500 Dhs a month for a F/0. (Captains get a little more). Out of that you have to pay rent, electricity, water, etc. If you stay in company housing all that is provided.

You get medical insurance for wife and kids (up to a maximum of three - kids that is, not wives) but a premium for that is deducted from you wages.

The allowances on layovers are dismal and often have to be supplemented out of your wages. In fact the allowances for several destinations have been reduced this year. Bet you didn't know there was negative inflation in the UK and Germany? You certainly won't be bringing anything back unless you love the taste of pot noodles.

Transport to and from work is provided even if you live out of the company housing. This is one of the best things about the jobs but only because management have left it alone for a number of years.

Oh, nearly forgot, you get a 22Dhs a month telephone allowance!

There is a far from certain 3% annual increment. This is supposed to be contractual but the company actually say it is optional and include it when they announce a pay rise.

Frozen Turtle
1st Jul 2005, 06:35
BigGeordie

Do I understand you right that you receive
allowances only when you nightstop? Is there not an hourly (Flight Duty hour) allowance?
How much in allowances would you get on an average month?

And you guys get paid overtime after 78 block hours, right? So in spite of flying enlarged and spending significant time in the bunk how often do you actually get paid overtime?

Last but not least; Are you deadheading a lot in EK?

Thanks for your quick clarifications...

Cheers

Payscale
1st Jul 2005, 11:45
1. Allowance only on night stops, as food onboard is free. I had to pay for it in my old airline.

2. No clue how much allowance I get, as it is spent down route, and as said often not enough. It is calculated based on the discount EK can get in the hotel. Outside the hotel you are on your own budget if you want a proper meal.

3. Overtime is based on hours spent onboard the aircraft, nor behind the yoke.

4. I deadhead about once a year!

Frozen Turtle
1st Jul 2005, 12:28
Thanks payscale

It actually does not sound too bad.

Especially as I was under the impression that the crew bunk time would not count.

Cheers

Payscale
1st Jul 2005, 19:09
NO. The bunk time drama, was a periode where the company would not count the bunk time towards the max Flight Duty Limitations. They do now.

100 block hours in 28 days and 900 block hours last 12 months rolling stands again if you join were to join today.

Thats a GCAA rule, that can not be suspended by any operator.

jackbauer
1st Jul 2005, 19:18
A ludite is the same as a luddite except they come from TN USA!! Simple really.

bigmountain
1st Jul 2005, 20:26
Go to Emirates careers site http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/ and look for flight deck opportunities. You should get details not only on the salary but career path ,scheduling etc.
Then come back to this side and compare what some have to say about Emirates.
In short if you want stability and a career in the Gulf then Emirates is your best bet. Although Etihad in Abu dhabi is giving the Emirates recuiters a run for their money. ..... Why? chances for ealier upgrade! But thats all is its favour.

Bigmountain

Trashed Aviator
3rd Jul 2005, 07:49
Be careful,
You will pay to go on overnights unless you stay in your room with noodles , thats for sure.
In 2 years had only 1 months overtime , if you get close to 78 hours they will remove trips to keep you below o/time , mainly as f/os as they are always recruiting and there is more fat in the F/O numbers.
You must take company accomodation , never be held to ransom by a local landlord, some real horror stories out there.
The command thing is dead they took DECs while there was qualified F/os in the right seat with the same hours, management refuse to discuss it.
There is more DECs coming in 2006 and as many as they can get.........

Payscale
3rd Jul 2005, 08:31
Here...have a prozac! and call me in the morning :)

LHR Rain
4th Jul 2005, 18:17
Rising costs to live in Dubai, deteriorating conditions at EK, DECs, hot 6 month summers why would anyone consider EK? If you are out of a job sure this is a no brainer! Plain and simple, if you have a job elsewhere stay there. I guarantee if you come to EK you will be like most of the pilots here (except the DECs) in one years time, fed up, frustrated and looking to get out.

Scooter Rassmussin
4th Jul 2005, 19:37
I also heard of many DECs coming next year , they had better take plenty cause theyll be flying on both sides , many f/os going next year.
I sound like a traitor but im going to another airline as a DEC , thanks for the endorsement Emirates im sorry you couldnt use it to its potential.
A rumour about the housing is that these villas are not owned by Emirates and they will be rationed to the highest bidder , and still with a shortage of villas in DXb the price may be more than what we are in at the moment.
Anyway mines up for grabs pretty soon !
I like EK and the flying but its way tough being an experienced F/O here and no light at the end of the tunnel.
Of course if i had have been employed by Emirates (B) (for Boeing) i may have had a command months ago................
Try and avoid Emirates (A) for the next year or so!
Yes it is 2 separate airlines.....

donpizmeov
4th Jul 2005, 19:58
Interesting you should say that, as I noticed that three of the 6 FOs that left in June had part numbers within the 300 series. So I was guessing a year max with the company. Only two FOs leaving in July, but 4 Capts (three Captains left in June).
Good luck to all of them.
Don

max AB
5th Jul 2005, 18:44
Scooter, a DEC eh....if you can't beat em...join em

ernestkgann
6th Jul 2005, 06:03
Interesting article being discussed here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1970424#post1970424 (http://)

Scooter Rassmussin
6th Jul 2005, 10:27
And the real killer is its on a 777 and ive never flown it !
Earnest the article doesnt come up got another link

Quod Boy
6th Jul 2005, 16:28
Ernie,no joy on your link?

Scooter,who are you joining as DEC on 777?

Good luck either way.

QB:cool:

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2005, 18:03
I think Earnest may have been trying to link to"Bridging the Bloodshed", it can be found at D & G reporting points.
Interesting read.

Don