PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Flasher

unclenelli
25th Jun 2005, 20:12
I just bought a new 19" TFT screen, but when I got it home it has a frozen pixel. The shop said, that as there was only 1 there weren't enough to warrant exchanging the screen.

They suggested getting a pixel flasher which could be able to cycle through the colours rapidly and jumpstart the pixel into working.

Anybody know where I can get one?

spannersatcx
26th Jun 2005, 14:28
never heard of a pixel flasher, doesn't mean there isn't one, if there was I would suspect that it would come with each TFT!!

If a pixel is dead, then it's dead, as far as I am aware there is nothing you can do about it. Apparently there is a white paper on TFT screens detailing the number of pixels not working which would warrant an exchange. 4 springs to mind, when I first got mine I had 3 dead pixels and 1 smack bang in the middle of the screen that was red although the number was within the so called white paper rules the manufacturer agreed to exchange it as it was so off putting you couldn't help but get drawn to this one red pixel, a bit like looking at car headlights.

I believe legally there is little you can do, the only thing I would recommend is that if buying from a shop ask if they can power it up before you take it away, hard if it's mail order (as mine was), if they'll let you.

As the shop has suggested gettin this pixel flasher I would ask them where to get one.

Daysleeper
26th Jun 2005, 14:50
Depending on where the dead pixel is you might get the manufacturer to exchange it.

1 Bang in the middle of the screen is "worse" than 4 at the edge so they might be flexible

maxell
29th Jun 2005, 12:11
you could try this (http://www.ekimsw.com/lcdtest/) to see if there is only one pixel out

Conan the Librarian
30th Jun 2005, 11:02
Think the law in UK says that you are entitled to return goods without reason, for up to 14 days.

The other thing is that your eyesight would be keen indeed to see one dead pixel. It is more likely ten or so, in which case the manufacturer will exchange.

Don't take any cr@p from retailers. Do a bit of checking with the Trading Standards Office first and then raising the battle flag, march in the retailers' direction.

good luck!

Conan

justsomepilot
1st Jul 2005, 08:09
Different manufacturers have different policies on how many dead pixels warrant (sorry for the pun) a warranty claim.

They can't be fixed.