PDA

View Full Version : BALPA website

wiggy
25th Jun 2005, 16:47
Seems the BA section of the BALPA website is inaccessable -is this the anticpated server change or something more sinister?

ETOPS
25th Jun 2005, 16:49
or something more sinister?

Nope - new forum being rolled out. Should be up soon or by next week if all the usual problems occur :hmm:

wiggy
25th Jun 2005, 16:55
And there I was thinking it was some nasty American plot to save Booiynng or some other third world company from European criticism.......
Thanks

b mi baby
25th Jun 2005, 18:10
From BALPA HQ...........................
During the past 48 hours we have been experiencing some difficulties with the BALPA website. Users may have noticed problems with their usual links and access to forums or homepages.

These problems have been caused by an exceptionally high demand being made on our web server, which has slowed down the server considerably and is affecting the functionality of internal and external links. This is believed to be the result of a Denial of Service Attack, or DOS, which is an explicit attempt by attackers to prevent legitimate service users from using a service (in this case by flooding the network).

These plonkers who carry out the DOS attacks are still around!

Cheers

wiggy
30th Jun 2005, 08:14
Thanks for the replies - I can see the site seems to up and running in the new format.

Being technically challenged I still can't "get in" - at stage two of the log-in process the site askes for memorable data but I have not been prompted to provide such data in the first place......worse still when I attempted to e-mail BALPA through the site the e-mail process seemed to be password protected....

Is this just my usual incompetence............................

energiser
30th Jun 2005, 08:39
It's not you - just some IT muppet (that BALPA have no doubt paid huge sums of money to) has rolled out a poorly programmed piece of poo...:rolleyes:

Links don't work, buttons are missing in places, some buttons send you off to an unexpected place, and the forums (when you eventually break through the numerous security levels) are pretty much unusable.

And....it works even worse on a Mac!

The whole site appears to have been built by a schoolkid as part of their GCSE IT project....actually they might have done a better job of it :D

hapzim
30th Jun 2005, 15:49
Anyone else finding it is not an improvement on the old one?

Danny can you not pop down and show them how it should be done.:O

dontdoit
30th Jun 2005, 15:51
Just had a look at it. Good to see they're as good at website design as they are at most other things. If it ain't broke.....

The Greaser
30th Jun 2005, 15:56
Danny has already vented his splean on one of the general Balpa forums. I concur with you both that it is a downright disaster.

tightcircuit
1st Jul 2005, 08:37
the new website only works properly if you are looking at it using IE. Access using any other sort of browser (eg Mozilla Firefox) seems to be problematic.

The new website was supposed to be more secure but it doesn't seem so to me. When I logged in for the first time I was asked for a "memorable name". I have logged in several times since but not been asked for this information as part of the process as I would have expected. Also if you leave the website without logging out or closing down the browser then you can get back in without having to log in again. Not good since bank details are stored in there somewhere if you know where to look for them!

wiggy
1st Jul 2005, 11:12
Umm, well I'm using IE and the log on process certainly doesn't work for me.....( and from discussions with others at t'mill this AM it seems I'm not the only one)

and edited to add - with some help I'm now "in" and ................ strewth!! this is an improvement ??????

D.B.er
2nd Jul 2005, 04:41
I am a humble overseas member and am now getting the message "the page cannot be found".
Has the website address changed?
Regards
D.B.er

wiggy
2nd Jul 2005, 07:19
Same address this AM, but you won't like what you find IMHO...

enicalyth
2nd Jul 2005, 09:40
There may be a subtle difference. So try this http://www.balpa.org/

It does not seem to work if the extension is .org.uk but it works for me on the command line above which just ends in .org

So far everything seems to work, I think.

Fright Level
2nd Jul 2005, 16:55
I seemed to be locked out now which is not suprising considering the massive security issue they were suffering publishing all members personal account and banking details on an insecure http site.