PDA

View Full Version : lost in ( stores ) space

Ali Crom
5th Feb 2001, 14:10
Having seen nearly all our main stores disappear off base which has been sold off to a large so-called logistics company , who's promise of a 20 min delivery time from its warehouse 2 miles away to the hangar floor in reality means that an AOG60 ( 60 minutes door to door ) will arrive 24 hours later if we pick up & a rising figure of £8 million in 'lost' engine spares . Does anybody else have any tales of woe regarding this abysmal state of affairs that they have the cheek to refer to as a service?

Definitions:

DELIVER - carry to destination;hand over;release;give birth or assist birth of.

LOGISTICS - the handling of supplies and personnel.

SERVICE - the act of serving;system organized to provide for needs of public........

------------------
AC.

Blacksheep
6th Feb 2001, 02:47
Reminds me of a letter in the RAF News years ago just after they did one of those reorganisations that the military are famous for. Stores branch had just been redesignated as Supplies branch and the writer asked the question "Now that Stores is Supplies, when do they stop storing stuff and start supplying it?"

Seems like a perennial problem...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Golden Rivet
9th Feb 2001, 00:15
Ali Crom

Ah yes I remember it well. The good old days when you could come in late, sit in the crew room until you were chased out and then retire to the confines of stores for a good old chinwag on the premise you were after an ounce of 5/32 rivets ( incidently already knowing they were nil stock).
What are you complaning about it just gives you the chance to stretch the check out for a few more days while you wait for the small chap to complete his major rebuild !!

------------------
Happiness is a corroded shear deck

Ali Crom
9th Feb 2001, 02:49
Golden Rivet , I was just letting off steam because the rumblings from senior management are that we are to blame ( as usual ) for the current situation as far as a/c going late.
The usual excuse of 'production staff taking too long to have a cuppa' is wearing a bit thin when the real problem issues just tend to be swept under the carpet .
I suppose in hindsight that's the way it will always be .As the saying goes ' S##t always slides downhill'.
At least there's always someone who will snag a shear deck now & again . That really winds up management , nice little earner for some too!

AC.

[This message has been edited by Ali Crom (edited 08 February 2001).]

Golden Rivet
9th Feb 2001, 15:35
Sounds familiar - when everything is going to *hit, blame the troops.
You must be at the end of a check, things are running late and the mupets in the castle of dreams want a scapegoat.
It will always be the chaps on the hangar floor who cop it because we are the ones having extra long tea breaks,going home early, raising to many snags, not working the lads hard enough etc etc..... Do the mupets still frequent the car park at the end of shift eagerly awaiting those brave enough to sneak out 3 minutes early? You never hear about the ones who regularly spend extra time writing handovers and go home late. No - you are all a bunch of slack arses !!!!

Snag a floor beam for me.

------------------
Happiness is a corroded shear deck

Ali Crom
9th Feb 2001, 20:59
I assume you once had the misfortune to have worked in the same 'world class' establishment as me .
As far as muppets are concerned , the playground monitoring has stopped for now , that is until the s##t really hits the fan .
Also if you didn't know the , Grim Reaper JDH was sacked & replaced with a sweaty sock who effectively forced us all on the 7 day RDS pattern ( oh yes , what a morale boost that was ) and no surprises the 5/32 rivets are still nil stock.

Quote ; " Yes Reg , but apart from that , what have the bloody Romans ever done for us?"

AC.

Ali Crom
10th Feb 2001, 00:20
Forgive me for saying but you weren't the one who earned the nickname 'Gayboy' after saying what may have been a slip of the tonque statement 'I've given up women , but not sex' by chance ?
It could be a genuine case of mistaken identity but there again I wouldn't blame you for denying it . I wouldn't admit to coming out with a classic like that , especially on an open forum such as this.
:)

AC.

spannerhead
10th Feb 2001, 12:09
COME ON GOLDEN RIVET.
This is better than the street or eastenders. I've been up all night!
Is the Golden Rivet really a pink pop with a wrist like T-0 or is he a DD with a **** like a thiokol tube?
I'll be tuning in..

Ali Crom
10th Feb 2001, 20:01
Nah , she's bottled it.

Perhaps her Wet Sensing Length is more of a Wiggins Flex coupling!!!!!!!!!

AC.

;)

The Weasel
11th Feb 2001, 03:54
Going back to your original point for a minute, Ali Crom...Decades ago,aircraft spares were simply demanded,received and fitted, job done. Now with decades of experience,a highly skilled management team, computerised stock control etc,etc, you have little or no stock of common basic spares and AGS. This cannot be accidental.It must be a deliberate ploy to discourage engineers from recording defects where the parts are difficult or impossible to get within the planned downtime.Bean counters as usual!If you go to any half decent car spares shop,they can get you what you want from stock,or within a morning or so.Of course you do have to buy the NHA rather than just the bit you want,but that's not the point.Go to any supermarket...miles of shelves,full of stock.In contrast, go into your store at work and you cannot even get a panel screw. I dont believe this is down to incompetence. I have similar suspicions as to why aircraft are never washed properly for inspections.

Rob_L
11th Feb 2001, 16:48
I like the not washing one.
How about an F27 input for a C check.
Thousand of lose rivets.
Next aircraft in painted before input.
Saved loads of hours changing rivets.

Ali Crom
12th Feb 2001, 04:25
Greetings great furry one ,

Interesting theory regarding the lack of AGS etc being a ploy to put engineers off recording defects . I don't honestly believe it's deliberately intended to be such crap service either .
However one thing that does wind me up is the management phrase " putting people in the right job with the right skills " . So why do they insist on putting people behind the counter with no engineering experience or who find it difficult to grasp the concept that if you ask for example ; a 3/16 dia , 1st o/s , protruding head hi-lock with a dash 4 grip length that you don't want a sodding tyre press guage ?
Sounds incredible I know but this the quality of some of the people the management put in these positions . With all the engineers retiring over the next few years couldn't they persuade a few to stay on & run the stores & use their experience to keep things in order?

AC.