PDA

View Full Version : JAR 66 conversion costs

Bus429
4th Feb 2001, 13:20
Just filled out the new JAA Form 19c for transfer of protected rights (from BCAR L).
Cost for converting basic and including types under A, B2 and C categories = £438.

This conversion has been foisted on us (OK, I don't need to convert now but it suits current plans) but why should we pay that much? One could argue that some companies reimburse but again, it is still far too much money to pay.

How much do our colleagues in continental Europe pay? Hopefully there is a level playing field with respect to charges.

Any opinions/comments?

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

spannersatcx
4th Feb 2001, 18:18
Bus, the following is a letter from the CAA to the ALAE http://www.lae.mcmail.com
with regard to charges for converting licence/s....

Letter from the CAA to Mike Newman on the charges for Licensing
Airworthiness and Personnel Licensing Charges Proposals - 2000/01

Airworthiness
With regard to your comment that the alleviation of the annual approval charges for small organisations should remain unchanged, I am pleased to advise that, in the light of your comments and those of other respondents, the CAA has decided not to amend the reduction. Therefore for the year 2000/0 1, organisations holding approvals in more than one group, and certifying a turnover of less than £720,000, will only pay 25% of the charge in respect of the second and subsequent approvals held.

You also questioned the appropriateness of the CAA's ability to recover additional costs which may be incurred in performing a function overseas. The intention of the clause is, and has always been, that the CAA is able to recover additional costs which are incurred.
I quote.."the applicant shall pay ... a charge of such amount as may be decided by the Authority, having regard to the expense thereby incurred..........." Having regard to the expense incurred means that only costs which are incurred are recovered. Please be assured that we do not make charges for expenses which have not actually been incurred.

Personnel Licensing

You also commented on the impact of charges for licensed engineers who wish to convert their BCAR Licences to JAR-66. Again, I fear there has been some misunderstanding. The fact of the matter is that the CAA will not force engineers to convert to JAR-66 immediately. Indeed, it was suggested in a recent newsletter to engineers that they do not convert yet unless they have a specific need for the benefits of a JAR-66 licence. It is intended that Licences will be converted when they are due for renewal and it is no coincidence that the charge for the issue of a JAR licence, (valid for 5 years) is the same as that for a renewal of a BCAR licence, also valid for 5 years. Therefore, if licence holders wait for conversion until their current licence becomes due for renewal - and the vast majority will have no immediate need to convert - they will not be paying twice as you suggested.

The charge for conversion will be £192 and this includes the transfer of all ratings held on a licence. The additional charges which could be incurred on conversion arise if an applicant wishes to include type ratings on the JAR licence based on company authorisations or an approval scheme approved by the CAA. It was proposed to charge £77 for each such rating. However, the CAA has reviewed the situation and recognises that, since some individuals hold six or more authorisations, the associated charges could cause hardship to some individuals, particularly as it would appear that companies employing engineers seem reluctant to pay the licence charges. Therefore, it has been decided to modify our proposals in this regard such that, in the circumstances which I have described, the charge for adding ratings to a licence on conversion, where company authorisations had been held will be limited to the equivalent of three ratings, i.e. £231.
Yours sincerely,
Miss C Jesnick

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 04 February 2001).]

Bus429
4th Feb 2001, 20:51
Spanners,

Noted - I've seen that before. It'll be interested to see what our friends on the Continent pay.

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!