PDA

View Full Version : Working In Nigeria

CYCLONE 7
25th Jun 2005, 09:58
I have a chance to take up a position with Bristows in Nigeria.
What are the conditions like working there?

oompilot
25th Jun 2005, 10:39
Where about? I spent some time in Ibadan. Dirty, busy town were we were pretty much confined to the hotel for safety reasons. Although we did on occasion venture out, no harm done, so who knows. Lagos is also a pit. To answer your question. You are seen as a source of revenue so will be subjected to all sorts of accusations on things you don’t do, mainly aviation wise, then told you will be grounded for probably some time, but my friend, money talks! Sure this happens in most of these thriving African countries but the problem there is the frequency of it! Kak place in general, but, as the locals there believe, money talks. If it’s good, go.

leginheli
25th Jun 2005, 14:15
Hi I am with PAAN part of Air Log/Bristow in Escravos....where you going?????

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
25th Jun 2005, 14:37
Cyclone,

It really depends where you are going to be based. Conditions vary whether you are in Lagos, Warri, Port Harcourt (and on which contract), Eket or Calabar. Have you been told where they would be sending you ? If so, there are plenty of people on this site who can give constructive advice.

Cheers,

NEO.

SebasW
25th Jun 2005, 15:23
Also make sure the plane your flying has got TCAS unless you wanna do a formation approach with another plane without even knowing it... ;)

The Heroic One
26th Jun 2005, 17:49
I guess it has been awhile since oompilot worked in Nigeria. The situation isn't anything like as bad as it used to be, but you might have to buy a lot of breakfasts if you are replacing one of their pilots!!!!!!

212man
27th Jun 2005, 14:20
Cyclone, you might like to trawl through the 'what's new in West africa' thread on 'rotorheads'; there's lots of gen on it there.

One pilot was heard to remark "it's okay there; the first 15 years are the worst!"

ZAZOO
28th Jun 2005, 18:43
CYCLONE 7!!!

CONGRATULATIONS :ok: :ok:

AS FOR THOSE OF YOU PUNTERS OUT ERE THAT BRISTOW TURNED DOWN OR THREW OUT THE DOOR :E :E WELL ME IS SURE THEY MADE THE RIGHT DECISION ...........................................................

ALL REPLIES VERY WELCOME!

CYCLONE IF YOU FLYING ROTORS IN PORT HARCOURT WELL THEN WELCOME !

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Jun 2005, 23:16
Cyclone,

No reply. Have you changed your mind ?? Or maybe just fishing ??

SASless
29th Jun 2005, 23:38
Zazoo....out of the hundreds of pilots that have rotated through BHL over the years....it is probably a fair bet all sorts got turned down...got hired...got fired...quit....and have stayed. I am certain the creme-le-creme may not have stayed till retirement....or after retirement.

When a pilot shows up drunk for a flight physical....that would suggest at least one ex-pat problem child found a home there.