PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Rapide

Paracab
25th Jun 2005, 00:25
Will definitely be attending Duxford this year for an airshow and just wondering if anyone has experienced a flight on the Rapide ?

Thinking of trying it but of course thought I would call in here first to see if anyone can shed any light on the experience....

gyp
25th Jun 2005, 06:14
It's a highly recommended trip. I was lucky enough to get the seat just behind the pilot so that I had a view forwards that my video camera took full advantage of on the approach and landing.
But, wherever you sit, the view has that extra special quality of being framed by wings and struts.

I have to confess that my enjoyment was greatly enhanced by lashings of nostalgia. My last flight in a Rapide was also my first flight as a spotty ATC cadet in 1943!

Gyp

Scion
27th Jun 2005, 09:42
You know the Rapide is the ideal aeroplane to experiance 1930's aviation in this the 21st century. It is perhaps the only wood and fabric aeroplane/airliner available to fly in at a reasonable cost to experiance the sounds, feel and smells,, don't forget the smells ,,of an era.

The best wishes to you and grab the experiance with both hands!!:p :p

treadigraph
27th Jun 2005, 12:18
As Gyp and Scion say...

Flew with Mike Hood's late lamented operation at Biggin Hill a couple of decades ago - wonderful! In fact, high time for another meander around in one, perhaps at Duxford.

Don't know what the queues are like though - I'd pitch up early if I were you just in case.

Enjoy it!

Kolibear
27th Jun 2005, 14:27
We've done the Classic Wings trip from Duxford over London in a Rapide and it was wonderful. The weather was very good and we had marvellous view over all of the City. We even saw a Concorde as we came back out to the east. Definately recommendable. :O :O

ozplane
28th Jun 2005, 14:20
I should perhaps point out that the Classic Wings Rapide only does the London flight on set days, normally Wednesday and Saturday. You can check on their web-site. The flights on airshow days are local "hops", good fun but quite short.

BeauMan
29th Jun 2005, 12:20
I took my seven year old son for his first flight ever, last summer in a Classic Wings Rapide. You see, my first flight had been in an AEF Chipmunk some 22 years earlier, so I felt there was some mileage in establishing a family tradition of first flights being in a de Havilland product... :ok: I digress...

The flight was 15 minutes long, which I felt was plenty long enough to see whether my son would enjoy flight, and as someone else was flying, it would be far safer than taking him up with me if he were to have a problem and want to get back down again.

I'm delighted to say, he loved it, and his flight in the Rapide was his only experience of aviation up until his maiden PA28 flight a month ago, and our family holiday to the Canary Islands last week. On arrival back at Gatwick, he also came out with the quote of the century. When asked whether he'd enjoyed the flight back, he turned and looked me squarely in the eye, and said: "It was alright Dad, but the Dragon Rapide was better."

That's my boy. :ok:

fradu
29th Jun 2005, 21:51
I went for a ride in the Dragon Rapide a few years ago at Duxford.
I think it was G-AKIF.
Also related, I was priviledged to fly in Torquill Norman's gorgeous DH Dragon last month!
Both were very enjoyable trips and I would recommend it to anyone.

Mark

Scion
6th Jul 2005, 10:45
Paracab,

Had that flight yet?

Paracab
6th Jul 2005, 22:57
Scion (and everyone that has contributed)

Not had the flight yet but hoping to get to Flying Legends to have a crack at it....

It is something I must do before the fun police stop classic aircraft like the Rapide carrying passengers (You know who the fun police are !)

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Feather #3
6th Jul 2005, 23:59
Don't forget that "Classic Wings" also do Tigers at Duxford.

G'day ;)

ID90
9th Jul 2005, 21:18
Was it one of the Classic Wings aircraft that was damaged by fire at Legends today?

Photo
9th Jul 2005, 23:21
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/danvohagan/fire2.jpg

From www.ukar.co.uk