PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Pedal & Wind Direction

ThomasTheTankEngine
24th Jun 2005, 17:11
When practicing stuck pedal the other day with a student, I noticed the following. In an R22 (Anti-clockwise rotor)

LEFT PEDAL STUCK FORWARD

This was easier to maintain yaw control with the wind on the oposite (Right) side.

With the LEFT pedal forward and the wind on the Right we could mantain yaw directional control relitively easy

With the LEFT pedal forward and the wind on the LEFT side the nose just whether cocked into wind and we went side ways at a 90° angle, We had to make a LEFT CYCLIC TURN to put the nose into wind to get yaw directional control. Once the nose was into wind yaw directional control was easy.

RIGHT PEDAL STUCK FORWARD

In theory with the right pedal stuck forward, I would of said the best place for the wind would be from the LEFT BUT in practice we could not see any real differance.

The wind speed was only about 5 knots it might be different with a stronger wind (Stronger weather cocking effect)

What are your views?

Thanks Thomas :ok:

NickLappos
24th Jun 2005, 21:59
Stuck pedal usually means that you have too much of the given direction, so you would try to make the aircraft go to a place where it needs to have that stuck pedal.

Stuck left means too much anti-torque, so you want to use some of the extra up. The best and easiest way is to roll off throttle a bit and reduce Rotor RPM. This makes the tail rotor reduce its thrust for that fixed pitch setting (slower rotor, same pitch angle, less thrust) and also the reduced main rotor rpm requires a bit more torque for the same lift. Also, putting the wind to the right as you enter the hover makes the tail rotor need to work harder, so the right crosswind will eat up a bit of the excessive anti-torque.

Stuck right usually will result in insufficient pedal to hover, so you must make a modified low power/autorotative landing by holding too much speed, flaring as you come to the ground, and lowering the collective as you flare. the lower main rotor torque will help balance the reduced (stuck right) tail rotor thrust. Just land while in the flare, at reduced main torque. select a left crosswind if there is a bit of wind.

Any wind 5 knots or less is so close to zero as to have no effect on the above.

ThomasTheTankEngine
25th Jun 2005, 09:22
Hi Nick
Thanks, Next time I need to practice it in a higher wind so we realy can see the wind effect more.

I had about the same ideas as you in regard to the wind direction.

Thanks again Thomas.

loachboy
25th Jun 2005, 14:33
Just to add my slant, and that is being pretty fresh out of a CPLH myself.

I use the Index Finger method.

Stuck Pedal Left - Stretch your collective index finger outwards and use it as a guide for which way you want the nose to go. So that would be Right....So that would mean rolling throttle on....or in a governed machine pulling collective.

Stuck Pedal Right - Stretch your collective index finger outwards and you need to roll your finger left which would make you roll throttle off, and then you need to pull collective to cushion on.

Always try to keep wind on opposite side to stuck pedal.

hope it makes sense and don't try it at home kids.

Is this effective, correct, or complete crap ?

Constructive criticism appreciated, slander not.

Regards

Loachy

SASless
25th Jun 2005, 14:58
In US style machines...

Stuck left....you are having a good day. Roll the throttle(s) off to the bottom of the green...shallow approach to a very low hover...either the aircraft will hover or as the nose starts to swing....land the aircraft and follow what turn if any with cyclic as you lower the collective. Chopping the throttle is a NO-NO on during this situation. Wind on right side helps.

Stuck right....not a good day. Regain manual control of the Nr...and set Nr in middle of the green. Shallow approach....maintain airspeed high enough to allow streamlining of the airframe......to a low height and align the aircraft with the landing area and movement across the ground....control the yaw with throttle movement. After touch down follow what turn occurs with cyclic. Wind on left side helps. Last ditch effort is an autorotation if need be.

Loss of tailrotor components....you are having a very bad day.

Enter autorotation....try to maintain pitch attitude....see if there is a power/air speed setting that allows forward flight (if time). If forward flight is possible...recover to a suitable place for an autorotative landing.

The outstretched finger works as a guide for throttle movement.

Auscan
25th Jun 2005, 15:41
Simple way to remember for US machines and such.

Left = Lift ( Collective )

Right = Roll ( Throttle )

Have fun!!!!

ThomasTheTankEngine
25th Jun 2005, 20:16
Thanks guys

The tecnique Im quite happy with (I use prety much the same tecnique as you all said)

It was more the best wind direction that I needed confirming, I was 90% sure that the wind on the opposite side to the stuck pedal was best but not 100% sure.

Thanks agian. :ok:

NickLappos
26th Jun 2005, 16:12
Thomas, you have it right. Think of the wind as weather-vaning the helo as you terminate, and think of the nose into wind movement as absorbing the pedal that you have too much of.