PDA

View Full Version : Ms Word

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 11:49
Everytime I open Microsoft Word for Windows® 97 (within MS Office 98) it says that it is being used already and do I want to make a copy?

Anyone know how I get rid of this annoying bug?

Many thanks

Craggs.

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 11:53
Might be worth checking under Tools, Options, File Locations tab, and check where User Templates is pointed to.
Navigate to that folder, and make a backup copy of the normal.dot that resides there, delete the original, and copy a fresh version from your installation CD.
If install CD doesn't have a normal.dot stored anywhere, then sure someone else here will be able to find a url for a clean one.

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 12:28
I should have indicated that its each time I open a document from scratch without Word open.

It does not happen when I open the same document with Word already open...

:confused:

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 13:16
Wouldn't hurt to check though, just incase.
Failing that, same advice as other recent Office based query, try putting the install CD ack in, and checking if there is a repair option...

ZH875
24th Jun 2005, 18:43
and make a backup copy of the normal.dot that resides there, delete the original, and copy a fresh version from your installation CD.
If install CD doesn't have a normal.dot stored anywhere, then sure someone else here will be able to find a url for a clean one.
A lot of problems are caused by 'normal.dot' corruption. Just find where it is and delete it. There is NO need to copy one from elsewhere, as Word will automatically re-create one if it cannot find it. The only downside is that you will lose any changes to your toolbars etc that you have made.

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 18:47
Thanks for the advice - I dont have a "normal.dot" file in my templates location....? Is there other places it could be?

Or do you mean delete the standard Windows Word template?

Many thanks folks

Craggs

Capt Snooze
24th Jun 2005, 20:10
OK,

I have the same thing in MS Word and Excel on a work machine.

Tried the delete on normal.dot - didn't work.

Other suggestions?

Snooze

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 20:18
where is the "normal.dot"

it is not in my templates anywhere?

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 20:33
Maybe check you don't have some files hidden by default - Folder Options, View Tab - ?
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates is the location on mine.
Where does user templates point to under file location in Word?

Not so sure about deleting normal.dot, in work at least, it doesn't get re-created automatically, I have to drop a copy into the user's folder for him/her...

Also, what do you mean by Standard Windows Word Template? Sorry if bering dense... well denser than normal ;>

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 21:21
"c:/microsoft office/templates"...............and its not there, just a "word template".

I have also used the search facility on my comp.and I have no "normal.dot" anywhere

I also have no backup disk!

cheers for your continued help :ok:

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 21:45
NP :>
Probably because that folder is within a hidden folder.
You'll need to change the advanced settings for searching, to include hidden files, sane for Windows Explorer/My Computer , when looking at files directly, tools, folder options, view, and change the settings there.
I have upped my normal.dot to here (http://users.firenet.uk.com/SilentlyScreaming/Normal.dot), so use that and replace your current one at the path I mentioned before.
Apologies to ZH875, you are completly correct, I retried on home PC, it worked a treat. Guess system configged (sp?) differently at work.

(btw Craggs, above paths hold true for XP, if you use a different OS, let us know, sure someone will get back quickly with where to look...)

[edit] meant to say, Pretty sure your c:\microsoft office\templates is equivalent to my c:\program files\microsoft office\templates (as in Program folder, not UserData) , not my C:\Documents and Settings\AskMe\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates folder, in case you were wondering why your PC appeared to be different.

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 22:08
You'll need to change the advanced settings for searching, to include hidden files, sane for Windows Explorer/My Computer , when looking at files directly, tools, folder options, view, and change the settings there.
checked - it was already on to view hidden folders...

I have upped my normal.dot to here, so use that and replace your current one at the path I mentioned before
copied and replaced and thankyou but unfortunately I still get the, "in-use - do you want o make a copy" message

btw Standard Windows Word Template was the normal.doc...

This is a tricky nut to crack!!!!!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Sarge/MissileSmilie_anim.gif

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 22:30
So you have found where the original normal.dot was stored? Can you see the files and folders now?
Also, when you check the path listed under file locations in word's options, does user templates point to the same directory?

If still no good, try putting the Office CD in drive, and checking if there is a repair option when you re-run setup. I had to use it once, and it didn't do any damage...

Craggenmore
26th Jun 2005, 18:49
So you have found where the original normal.dot was stored? Can you see the files and folders now?
Yes...I have overwritten with your kind posting of "normal.dot", to no avail...
does user templates point to the same directory?
yes...
If still no good, try putting the Office CD in drive, and checking if there is a repair option when you re-run setup. I had to use it once, and it didn't do any damage...
I have no backup CD, its been lost :{
I think I am eternally doomed!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-035.gif

Mac the Knife
26th Jun 2005, 19:53
I don't know how to solve your problem, but...

Now is you chance to download Abiword - http://www.abisource.com/ or OpenOffice - http://www.openoffice.org/ and escape from Microsoft (no more worries about lost discs or access codes).

Both deal with MS's proprietary [i.e. secret] .doc format pretty well.

Terraplaneblues
29th Jun 2005, 18:40
Hello Craggenmore

Had a similar thing after a disk rebuild and this worked, just substitute excel for whichever of the office suite gives the problem. It will however reset all the excel or whatever settings (ie do you allow macros).
1. Close Microsoft Excel.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type the following (with the quotation marks):
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /unregserver
NOTE: If you have installed Microsoft Office 97 to another location, use your correct path for Excel.exe instead.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type the following (with the quotation marks):
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

machone
30th Jun 2005, 12:30
Try searching for *.tmp files in the same location that you have been saving yor work. delete these tmp files, might help solve the problem.
to find the normal .dot got to options with a new page open in word, select options, then file locations, then user your normal .dot should be there in the location