PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Fire Season

helo1
24th Jun 2005, 09:09
Just read that John Mac lost the contract for mediums in Australia to Heli-Aust and Erickson lost it to Helicopter Transport Services(The erickson 1 is only a rumour at the moment).
Can anyone shed some light on this please

SASless
24th Jun 2005, 12:12
The USFS is still messing around with the Type I Exclusive Use contracts. They have issued another modification to the contract solicitation. As forecast....they are still dragging their feet on the contract and the fires have started. It appears that there will be CWN calls for aircraft because they could not get the EU contracting done in time. The very thing they were trying to avoid. Bureaucrats!

B Sousa
24th Jun 2005, 13:51
Whatever with the paperwork, season is off and running here in the Southwest. Big lightning bust a couple days ago, so its smoky and hot now............sign of things to come...

belly tank
25th Jun 2005, 01:01
Ive got it on good information...from a mate of mine in canada whos coming to work here for the season in 212's ,which will be based at bankstown ...apparently the company he works for got a 5 year deal

SASless
25th Jun 2005, 02:10
HAT instead of Erickson....interesting change that one is....must be for price...could not be for anything else.

w_ocker
25th Jun 2005, 02:26
Sounds like some interesting stories around for this year. While we are on it, has anyone heard what is happening in Vic for this season?

MPT
25th Jun 2005, 10:00
G'day w_ocker,

From what I hear, the decision on the Victorian contract has been put off again, this time until September. This may put the successful tenderers under some pressure if any reconfiguring of machines is required.

Cheers,

MPT

Auscan
25th Jun 2005, 15:55
I heard another Canadian Company will be putting 212's in Victoria. Different outfit to the Sydney contracts. The Sydney ones are only a two year deal with three one year options. Sounds like the crane contracts are getting quite the shake up though. How is it shapping up down there for the summer. I know everyone likes to speculate!

rotorboy
26th Jun 2005, 04:41
Heard the canook company is Wildcat with 3 212's.

rb

noooby
26th Jun 2005, 07:23
OK, I know who HTS is, but who is HAT SASless, and what do they fly? Anything to do with Carson? Thought they'd be back for the 2005 season with Shortskys.

noooby

belly tank
4th Jul 2005, 03:02
Having just received an EOI from the RFS, one of the requirements is that all pilots have a CRM course completed and evidence to show ie: certificate.

question is.

where do we go to get this accreditiation, ive read the supplimentary info on CASA website but no real leads there, the RFS require the CRM be completed for this years season...:ooh:

helicoptersareus
8th Jul 2005, 07:11
Anybody know what WA are doing this year - have been gradually increasing use?

Oogle
8th Jul 2005, 08:33
CRM for firebombing???? :confused:

Who was the genius that thought up that one.

Over-regulation can have a harmful effect.

Capt Hollywood
9th Jul 2005, 14:42
Bellytank,

The DSE in Vic brought in that requirement about two years ago. We hired a company to provide a course for all our fire season pilots in a classroom setup, I think it was only a one day course. I'm sure someone in your neck of the woods would be able to provide a course, especially if a whole group of pilots are going to require one before the end of the year.

Oogle, I'd have to agree. I don't recall walking away from the course with any profound sense of valuable knowledge gained. Most of the heli's, with the exception of the Erickson, only have one pilot on board so Crew Resource Management isn't really an issue................. or did I miss something at the course! :rolleyes: Our course consisted of watching a few videos about aircraft crashes caused by pilot error and then discussions on how the crash could have been avoided had the crew worked with each other more effectively. This was followed by a roll playing exercise to show how using your crew effectively can lead to a safer and more productive flight. I found a lot of it to be made up of lessons in common sense!

Enjoy your course!

Cheers,

Hollywood :cool:

oxi
12th Jul 2005, 22:49
Anyone know of any CRM or HUET courses coming up in Bankstown.

Thanks

belly tank
12th Jul 2005, 23:07
Capt Hollywood,:ok:

Thanks for the info, im just waiting to hear from a collegue about a course that may be running. if all else fail ill drop you an email.

Oxi, there are a few guys interested in doing this CRM for the RFS would you be interested to join in, the more we can get the better our chances of getting something organised.

the RFS pointed out to me they have no prefered supplier for the CRM and they are looking into it and were going to get back to me!...still havnt heard yet!.

Oogle....the powers that be up there must have a new advisor :}

oxi
12th Jul 2005, 23:28
Yep for sure count me in..

McGowan
14th Jul 2005, 03:52
The new EOI for the 05/06 fire season is out and the RFS want "evidence of pilots CRM training". Anyoneknow where this can be done???????

overpitched
14th Jul 2005, 04:14
Covered recently

Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179748&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

McGowan
14th Jul 2005, 05:47
Thanks, still seems to be a bit of mystery, also doesn't sound like it will be a simple thing the coordinate.
I have attended a couple of trial courses, one by the ADF and one by the Company I used to work for, but no proof at hand. as is stated in the other thread, everything I am doing or planning to do is single pilot.............

belly tank
14th Jul 2005, 09:36
OXI, There is a course that is looking like running in Sydney its currently being looked into and in the planning stages, we need to get numbers up to at least 8 we have 5 starters not including you! , im sure we can get the numbers....how are all you other NSW fire guys going, have you all CRM courses already?..:hmm:...id be surprised!

MCGowan...ill see you tommorow and fill you in on the latest development on this CRM thingy :cool:

Red Wine
14th Jul 2005, 10:15
I respect your background, however you can indeed learn a significant amount from a "CORRECTLY" structured and presented Human Factors [HF] Training Course.

If you are just looking for a tick in the box, then I agree you will learn and accomplish very little indeed. However if you really address the well known problem of dysfunctional human decision making, and employ a worthwhile and well researched HF training course, then you will understand the principles of synergy and feel part of the well educated team.

Please don’t accept this as a critical comment, its just that there are benefits to be gained by really understanding your team!!!

Yes, because you’re the only guy sitting in the smoke, there are 10 or so folk in your team that contribute to your success.

And if you think you’re the most important peg on the board ??

Then you need to select a better supplier of HF training.

Oogle
14th Jul 2005, 11:46
Having done my part in the NSW fire bombing role it has amazed me watch the extra requirements being called for every year. When will it stop?

Why don't the operators stand up and question some of these hair brain ideas that the RFS (or their advisors) calls for. What possible use is CRM within the fire bombing role?

I understand that most operators are too afraid to question these antics - just a pity. No conformance, no work.

Absolute garbage! All operators are no doubt running around searching for CRM courses so thay can be "legally" (term used loosely) added to the list of providers.

I heard once also that they were also asking for dual GPS installations.

Oxi - ring CareFlight QLD and see when they are in Sydney next (HUET course)

Capt Hollywood
14th Jul 2005, 11:47
Point taken Red Wine, I don't doubt that there are lessons to be learned from CRM courses. I was indeed mainly looking for a tick in the box in order to fulfill a contract requirement but I did go into the course with an open mind hoping to gain some insight into what CRM actually means. I mentioned the course seemed to be filled with lessons in common sense, which may be just what CRM really is. Problem is, common sense just aint that common these days!

Cheers,

Hollywood :cool:

Quick Release
14th Jul 2005, 17:18
Red wine

Good point about the "Correctly structured" coarse, problem is some of these courses are put together with means to get a few people the Tick in the box as Captain Hollywood said, to fulfill contract requirments, i guess we loose out on what could be gained from a full well structured course.
After my course i felt it was aimed more at multi crew ships and not single pilot working with other ships or ground crew. any views on that?
I tend to agree a little with Oogle and Capt:H

jbrereton
14th Jul 2005, 18:25
It is in case you have a split personality. Or talk to yourself.

bigsquirrel
16th Jul 2005, 12:51
Hey tez, Secret agent or should i say secret squirrel here, I did not know you looked at this site, good to know your around buddy, will stay in touch. I sent you an email on your hunter helicopters email, did you ever get it.

See you later buddy

Andy

Kiwi63
17th Jul 2005, 22:38
CRM training for pilots is able to be done at a number of locations. There is a very good course done in a friendly, practical manner without worrying too much about the unnecessary bull that seems to creep in to courses run by people with their own agenda. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but e-mail [email protected] and I think you'll get the right guy. Courses are tailored for the audience - applicable to single pilot operators as much as multi-crew. (We all work with others don't we...engineers, loaders, fire-crew, ambo's, managers, CPs...whoever).

McGowan
18th Jul 2005, 01:10
jbrereton,

i have both of those, but the good thing so far is that we agree most of the time, no we don't, yes we do..............

18th Jul 2005, 06:48
McGowan
You might try this mob www.oracleaeronautics.com.au
I don't know prices and availablity but did a course with them some years back and seemed ok.