PDA

View Full Version : Avionics Upgrade

EESDL
24th Jun 2005, 07:21
Looking for input from pilots who use the GNS530/430 for heli-ops with wx input and some form of TAS.
Looking at upgrading 1980s cockpit (old radar, comms, audio etc)
Pricing an upgrade for twin squirrel cockpit, where newest bit of avionics is the skymap!

Currently looking at GNS530 in main panel, configured as no 1 system, connected to pilots HSI and Autopilot. GNS 430 as no 2 Nav/Comm/GPS and would be interfaced to a new GI-106A on pilots side with existing Nav 2 indicator to be relocated to P2 panel for dual ILS facility.

Replace old KT76 transponder with GTX330 Mode 'S' transponder, and old KMA24 audio intercom replaced with the stereo GMA340 audio system.

New radar to be displayed on KMD540, providing moving map as well as IFR type display along with traffic info from Skywatch TAS.

Don't imagine much change from 60K but it could be an option if a heli upgrade is out of the question, at this time!!

Problem is, haven't actually seen any of this stuff work in anger and interested in the ergonomics and some pilot response.

Hughes500
24th Jun 2005, 07:41
GNS430 - I have one in a heli ( not IFR ) it is very complicated to use, espically if not used regularly ! The moving map system is very unhelpful compared to a Skymap3. If flying vfr the skymap topo is streets ahead.
Once you get your mind round the system it is very good but it is not user friendly !

Jez
24th Jun 2005, 09:24
Looks like you have sorted everything out. Good choices but so much out there in the marketplace.

Currently use (or have used) all the items you mentioned and find them top notch.

The Garmins aren't too bad but yes, you do have a minor brain fart when you look at it the first time. If you buy the GNS 430 unit it will come with a simulator on CD which is very helpful but until then you can download the sim off the Garmin site and start using it straight away.

:ok:

albatross
24th Jun 2005, 09:36
Once you get on to them ( suggest downloading the Garmin simulator and practicing a couple of hours) they are gangbusters.
Great for IFR.
Different from the trimble thought process but once you learn how to access the file cabinet as I like to explain it ( how to access what where ) it is a wonderfull thing. Really not hard to get onto. If all else fails read the boring novel about that Manual guy.
Perhaps someone from the Air Ambulance in Ontario Canada will post. They have retrofitted their 76s over the last couple of years.

md 600 driver
24th Jun 2005, 09:56
i have a 530 connected to tcas and a 106, also skymap 3c,196/7com ,and a kt76c trans
for ease of use the skymap wins overall
re the the 530 when you are using the com function the radio is not as good as the king but overall the kit is good the 530 takes a bit to learn but when you have mastered it becomes easy

steve

EESDL
25th Jun 2005, 15:57
Thanks Steve, just knew you'd have all the toys!! Are you going to Fenton's Families' day this year? It will be my first day as a 'Civvy' - hoping to make it if I'm not working for a living!!

diethelm
25th Jun 2005, 18:22
I looked at the Garmin but decided to go the Honeywell route.

KLN94 GPS coupled to a KMD550 MFD. KX165A nav/com coupled to KCS55A with 825I digital display HSI. KT73 Transponder with TIS which can be overlayed on the KMD550 or shown on the 825I. AMS42F audio controller so the passenger can talk on a different frequency than the pilot and TFM 138 AM radio. With a piece of software and a subscription, I can display weather on the 825I or the KMD550.

Aesir
25th Jun 2005, 20:03
diethelm.. thats a nice set up! In what type aircraft?

In other words, I have used the GNS530 setup in SP IFR B222 and it works really great for IFR work.

For VFR (read: wx to bad for IFR flight) it was coupled to KMD550 multifunction display which works pretty well in areas where you can get decent maps.

diethelm
25th Jun 2005, 23:09
It is for a 530F undergoing a complete rebuild.

I like the fact that I can get traffic on either the 825 or overlay it on the MFD from the KT73 and I can also pump weather into the 825 or the MFD with a KDR 510 which sits under the seat.

Now if I could only figure out a color scheme.

John Eacott
26th Jun 2005, 06:12
Diethelm,

Whilst the kln94 might suit your 530F, it's not much cop for most helicopters, since it's set up to be viewed from the left seat. I had one, and when viewed from the right seat, the colour display becomes almost monochrome. I put a bunch of Garmin 430's in a few years ago, and they work very well. Garmin seem to have a more intuitive construction, and certainly a better data base than BK.

EESDL
26th Jun 2005, 13:32
Thanks gents, ideal input.
Nail on the head, 'Skymap'-style display for scuddy low stuff and IFR info for med-level transits, approaches.
Majority of use will be sp, so must all be within easy reach:-)

Now, any radars you'd like to rec?

diethelm
26th Jun 2005, 15:00
John:

I agree that the little 2 inch screen on the KLN94 is not nearly as good as the 4 inch in the 430 or 5 inch in the 530.

That is why I added the KMD550 which is a 5 inch color display. Viewed from all angles, I thought this screen had better resolution than the Garmin and it has more actual screen dedicated to the data as it is does not display the com and nav frequency information. In addition, you can change the KMD550 display to quickly toggle between traffic, navigation and weather or choose to overlay. Same thing goes with the 825 HSI digital display over the KCS55 steam gauge HSI disply. With the 825, I can pump other info, such as traffic, into this display which is in a normal scan. In addition, the Honeywell package is less expensive than similar equipment from Garmin.

In a perfect world, I wish Honeywell built a general aviation GPS with no screen which would simply drive the MFD like the kt73 TIS and the weather data box. If I could not fit in the KMD 550, I would certainly take a Garmin 530 over the little 2 inch screen on the KLN94.

Too bad the epic flight system which is in the AB139 is as expensive as my entire aircraft. At the end of the day, all of this is overkill for a VFR aircraft but, it is not that expensive to add relative to the overhaul and I am not short on power or lift.

With respect to the data, I will check that out. It is my understanding that neither use proprietary data?