PDA

View Full Version : PJE minimums

sir.pratt
24th Jun 2005, 05:38
what is the story with doing jump flying with only a PPL? have the rules changed recently? i know some operators have used the 'we're selling you the jump, not the plane ride' story, and i know PPLs can do glider towing, so is there any chance i could do drop zone flying with my PPL?

1McLay
24th Jun 2005, 06:08
Hi Sir.pratt

No there hasnt been a rule change, but just the same as glider towing with a PPL you can fly parachutes on a PPL, your just not allowed to make any coin from it!

1M

ace4bar's girlfriend
24th Jun 2005, 06:12
G'day mate

If you do a search via the pprune forum search engine thingy for parachute operations etc you will see there are a lot of discussions regarding this.

Similarly if you go to the 'Australian Parachute Federation' website there will be info there regarding jump pilots.

Unless it's changed I think it is :

Minimum PPL
160 hrs total
10 hours on type - typically 182.

have fun :ok:

sir.pratt
24th Jun 2005, 09:46
just found it on the CAA website after a huge search - need minimum of 200 hrs.

rsull
29th Jun 2005, 05:14
The requirments are in the
"Jump Pilots handbook"
found here
http://www.apf.asn.au/publications.aspx#rules

i suggest if you want to fly skydivers read this Doc and it will tell you all you need to know, except that most skydivers a TOOLS.
3.7.1 (page 12) says
PPL or higher
200 TT
100 in commamd
10 in type or equiv

Hope this helps

cjam
29th Jun 2005, 10:10
Jump flying is great fun and you can learn a heck of a lot. The jumpers generally know very little about flying and will put pressure on you to do things you probably shouldn't. They will most likey be used to flying with CPL's with instrument ratings. It can be quite challenging with a high workload but as I said before....great fun.

sir.pratt
3rd Jul 2005, 08:28
i'm just looking for a weekend hour builder really - there is a field nearby that is struggling to find pilots - not enough flying for a full time job, and not enough work nearby to keep a bored pilot out of trouble.

puff
3rd Jul 2005, 11:33
Para dropping having trouble finding pilots, well perhaps if they paid that might change for them.....you reap what you sow.

FlightIdle
31st Jul 2005, 00:50
Sir.Pratt, if you get in with a good operator with a turbine you'll not only enjoy it more it will be safer and you will more than likely be paid for it. But I know, you gotta start somewhere but thats something to aim for if you want to see skydiving as a means to keep the log book ticking over. Unfortunately with most of the smaller drop zones who operate single engine piston a/c the best you can hope for is a beer at the end of the day. Hanging around all weekend for .5 hrs in a 182 on a crappy day is not exciting, but most other times its great fun and you can learn alot.

Cjam is right, you will find yourself being put into situations that you should'nt be in and its up to you and your flying skills to be able to deal with it.

It must be a quiet DZ if they can't find pilots, usually there is a queue even for the smallest of operators.